Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Uncommon, Distinctive Japanese Beers? (merged threads)

Uncommon, Distinctive Japanese Beers? (merged threads)

Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
Hitachino ales and stouts from Kiuchi Brewery if you have not tried them in the U.S. (available in NY, SF, Chicago and Philadelphia)
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
There was an interview in Metropolis a few weeks back with the brewmaster of Harvest Moon brewery. Haven't tried the beer or been there. There is an article or two in Metropolis under the beer tab on local microbrews or pubs serving microbrews.

I've had a couple of Hitachino varieties ^. Website. While not a craft brew I like some of the Yebisu varieties.

Here are a couple of articles that might help.
http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/drink/tan...er-bars-808295
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkib1yK...om/r-beer.html

And a somewhat recent thread on Japanese beer.

Also I'm sure mjm will be able to offer some advice also.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 18, 2010 at 1:47 am
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
Popeye Beer Club is a beer bar in Ryogoku specializing in Japanese microbrews.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Global Entry WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Arrow Chuwy's blogs

If you are in the Tokyo | Kawasaki | Yokohama area, "Chuwy"'s Boozelist has lists of solid beer bars, and he strives to keep updated with what they have on tap that day. ^
You can also check Beer In Japan's blog, and | or the Craft Beer Events blog.
There is no longer a valid excuse for not being able to find distinctive craft-brewed beers in Japan.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 10:12 pm

Programs: Global Entry WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
O.K. I apologize {but not really} for hauling this topic out of the filing cabinet after 13 years , but since I went down the hole of searching my old posts here on FlyerTalk, I could not let this thread languish with outdated links.
Chuwy has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth.
The Beer In Japan map is not to be relied upon (but Dry Dock Shinbashi is still in business). (I stayed in Shinbashi in April 2023.)
There are more updated links to Japanese craft beer bars on my bookmark page [link is beneath].
lax01 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
How funny to read this ancient thread - Japan's craft beer scene has really blossomed since this thread was last active.

This map seems to be mostly accurate - at least in my area.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...764384238&z=15
Old Sep 8, 2023, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by jib71
How funny to read this ancient thread - Japan's craft beer scene has really blossomed since this thread was last active.

This map seems to be mostly accurate - at least in my area.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...764384238&z=15
Anyway to convert to English via Google URL?

Went to a bunch of bars but Watering Hole was awesome and had AWESOME gyoza: https://goo.gl/maps/LdPTNrohyNK3TDdU6
pudgym29 and JapanFlyerT like this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pudgym29
O.K. I apologize {but not really} for hauling this topic out of the filing cabinet after 13 years , but since I went down the hole of searching my old posts here on FlyerTalk, I could not let this thread languish with outdated links.
Chuwy has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth.
The Beer In Japan map is not to be relied upon (but Dry Dock Shinbashi is still in business). (I stayed in Shinbashi in April 2023.)
There are more updated links to Japanese craft beer bars on my bookmark page [link is beneath].
Chuwy is very much alive and well and comments on beer all the time on Facebook.

There is a lot of good info via Rob Bright's Beer Tengoku https://beertengoku.com/

Ratebeer has an extensive map, but there are many out there.

Many of the breweries English speakers get excited about are run by ex-pats, but there plenty are run by Japanese as well, such as Wateringhole and the owner's brewery called Snark.
https://www.facebook.com/Snark.Liquidworks/
Old Sep 9, 2023, 12:24 am

If anyone's in town this weekend, there are a couple of beer festivals in the Tokyo area: Craft Beer Bars Japan - Events

The North Tokyo Craft Beer Fest in Otsuka should be low-key, with a handful of local breweries and importers/retailers.

Here is my own beer bar map, hopefullly mostly up to date.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 2:56 pm

I've heard about Sapporo Black from a friend, but I can never find it at any stores.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: Free agent
I've been scheming to get some Sapporo Classic in the US but all my plans have failed so far.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:59 am

Last year, I tried a grape beer from Ishikawa, a rhubarb beer from Nagano, and a wasabi beer, also from Nagano.

The first two were actually quite pleasant. The latter ... no dice.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Last year, I tried a grape beer from Ishikawa, a rhubarb beer from Nagano, and a wasabi beer, also from Nagano.

The first two were actually quite pleasant. The latter ... no dice.
There is a huge range of domestic concoctions these days. Many are drain pours (usually too sweet), but some are excellent. Japanese citrus is often a winner.

FYI: Keyaki Beer Festival in Saitama is this coming (long) weekend. I think it is the biggest in Japan.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:40 pm

It's Not Beer, Alas

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
There is a huge range of domestic concoctions these days. Many are drain pours (usually too sweet), but some are excellent. Japanese citrus is often a winner.

The drink was a shiikwaasaa (Okinawan citrus) and vodka (highball). As the upper part of the can reads, it's not sweet! And they were right.

Damn, that was a refreshing drink.

(it was accompanied by Setouchi lemon -- or so they say -- karaage. Mmhmm.)
Old Sep 12, 2023, 12:28 am

FYI: Keyaki Beer Festival in Saitama is this coming (long) weekend. I think it is the biggest in Japan.
Just a heads-up that this time around Keyaki is going to be indoors, with advance ticket purchase necessary and a set time, not the usual outdoor free-for-all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.