Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is JAL racist? Please read my story....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:59 am

Programs: EVA
As a loyal CX customer I recently took a JL flight TPE-NRT-SFO in C to see what other OW airlines had to offer. They were full fare J tickets and my wife and I both have OW status.

I was a little disappointed by the four flights but racism was absolutely, positively not an issue. I think the problem with JAL for international travellers is that they are a little too Japan-centric but they are a Japanese airline after all.

For me the three biggest problems were seats, IFE and language ability of FAs. Seats and IFE are WAY behind carriers like CX.

The language ability of FAs was a big problem for my wife because she does not speak English and only the TPE-NRT segments had FAs that could speak Chinese at all. I got poked in the arm every two hours to translate for my increasingly frustrated wife.

I tried to make small talk with some of the FAs but their English level was just not good enough to talk about anything except inflight necessities. I asked one girl about how well they were doing on that route with paid tickets vs award pax. She tried her best and looked a little embarrassed but had no clue what I was talking about.

Service is inconsistent and FAs do not seem very good at noticing simple things such as empty water glasses. I really miss those preflight drinks on CX. However, if you call and ask for something explicitly the service is quick and efficient.

Some more positive points - food was very good and JL did a surprisingly good job to make us feel special as OW members. I had a personal welcome on 3/4 flights and we seemed to get our meal orders before most other pax.

At no point did I feel inferior to any other pax, in fact we seemed to get slightly better treatment due to status. Unfortunately while they have some good prices ex-TPE they are in a totally different league to CX and I don't think I would use them again. Sorry, JAL
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:07 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by llary
The language ability of FAs was a big problem for my wife because she does not speak English and only the TPE-NRT segments had FAs that could speak Chinese at all. I got poked in the arm every two hours to translate for my increasingly frustrated wife.
NRT-SFO should have chinese speaking cabin attendants on board. They have a slightly bigger name tag telling you where they are from.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:26 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
It is discrimination, plain and simple and very common on JL. My two F experiences on JL were poor. While they did not ignore me to the extent they ignored you, they only provided a basic level of service (more business class standard). I assume some of it is language, but I found them a little rude, they went out of their way not to have contact with me. Very sad. I now fly only AA F to NRT or CX through HKG. I have do fly J now JFK-NRT it is J only, as they treat everyone the same and service overall is very cold, distant and mechanical.
I think its a cultural misunderstanding. For some Japanese or Asians are somewhat reluctant to speak to foreigners due to language barriers, as the western culture tends to include alot of unrelated chit chat into everyday speech as an icebreaker or friendly gestures, and it complicates the conversation for them. If you're a New Yorker, you would certainly make references of how the Yankees are doing in your everyday speech, which means nothing to anyone outside of NYC.

Try and observe how the Japanese paxs speak to the FAs (especially the males). Usually its a polite, straightforward command or phrase without anything else. Remember Japanese/Asian culture is rather submissive or passive and it can be considered rude to be overly talkative, especially when in a service industry like an airline.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ddutil
I've had similar experiences on AA because they treat employees and relatives of employees like they belong in F and the paying (cash or miles) public like they are intruders in the employee lounge.
I've seen that on UA as well.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:50 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
This is the first I've ever heard that JAL has a FEBO protocol for meal choices. Can anyone confirm?
I have experienced (and got "screwed" by) FEBO protocol for meal choices few days ago But FEBO protocol isn't followed consistently. I was the first to get served on JL061 in C but when connecting on JL735 in Y, the upper deck crew started meal service from the back. I was the last one to get served and there was only the curry lab meal option left (I would have picked that option anyways ) I took JL701 in Y a month ago and meal service started from the front too (exit row got served first )

Not sure if cabin attendants are still adapting to the new protocol...
Old Dec 17, 2009, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by llary

I tried to make small talk with some of the FAs but their English level was just not good enough to talk about anything except inflight necessities. I asked one girl about how well they were doing on that route with paid tickets vs award pax. She tried her best and looked a little embarrassed but had no clue what I was talking about.
This is probably why the FAs avoid interactions with gaijin customers
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I just came across this interesting thread.

While what the OP described sounds appalling, I can assure you that for a minority in America, this is a daily occurrence, and not just on the planes.

People don't know what it feels like to be a minority until they experience it themselves. So, now you know.

These flight attendants probably experienced racism the moment they stepped into the states. A few months ago, an extremely polite Japanese woman was asking for assistant from the station operator at a NYC subway station and tried as hard as she could to throw out all the English vocabulary she knew. Instead, she was greeted with a stare and "ain't nobody know what's coming out of your mouth" I went over there to help her.

Can you blame them?

Get over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.