Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Can I get a refund on Business Special fare that was turned into a Business Flex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I get a refund on Business Special fare that was turned into a Business Flex?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

I book business fares typically as soon as possible for my travel dates, so roughly a year out.

My original flights were Business Special I class fares that were non-refundable.

I had to pull in the dates by a week recently and had to switch up my itinerary to Business Flex. Outbound is still I class but return is D class.

Now there is a chance I can't even go on this trip.

My new booking says: Cancellation/Refund** No charge
** For refunds after departure, the refunded amount will be based only on the partial (unused) ticket value, which may result in no refund value.

Does this mean I can get a full refund? Note these were issued by JAL Vancouver.

If so it seems like a loophole. If you need to cancel a non-refundable ticket and get a refund, simply turn it into a (business) flex ticket and cancel.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:31 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
My experience is that when you have different fare classes (with different restrictions) on the outbound and return, the more restrictive set of rules applies to the whole itinerary. But you should call and find out.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. To make this clearer this is the ticket confirmation I got.

It certainly implies the outbound I class is refundable.

Curious if anyone has done this. Bought a non-refundable, changed it and ended up with a flex fare and was able to get it refunded.

Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You should have a look at the detailed fare rules in manage booking or call JAL to confirm. There is typically caveat in the detailed rules, that if you change in to a flexible fare class, the original part of the fare remains non-refundable, but the extra fare paid will be refundable. But the devil is in the details.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CPH-Flyer and Unimatrix One. Will call JAL tomorrow to confirm.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You should have a look at the detailed fare rules in manage booking or call JAL to confirm. There is typically caveat in the detailed rules, that if you change in to a flexible fare class, the original part of the fare remains non-refundable, but the extra fare paid will be refundable. But the devil is in the details.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Ok just got off the phone with JAL American Region Reservations and they are saying the tickets are fully cancelable and refundable to the total amount.

I'm hoping the family can still make this trip but if not it is great to know we have flexibility. Now to sort out the mess with hotels etc..
OWF_NYC_SIN likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
Ok just got off the phone with JAL American Region Reservations and they are saying the tickets are fully cancelable and refundable to the total amount.

I'm hoping the family can still make this trip but if not it is great to know we have flexibility. Now to sort out the mess with hotels etc..
That's a generous policy, and a bit of a loophole in the non flexible fares....
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.