Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL (pre-2020) Eye Refresher

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2023, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
JAL (pre-2020) Eye Refresher

JAL had a fantastic [business class] amenity: a cooling moist eye refresher. It works wonderfully to revive tired eyes, especially after an uncomfortably hot overnight flight, as JAL usually is. Unfortunately, like so much else, it was taken away a few years ago. I don't think it's been offered anymore for some 4~5 years.

Does anyone know is it possible to buy this product somewhere? See photos below. (Admittedly, when offered, I tried to take two or three, and would usually save it from the relatively short JAL flights for other longer more tiring flights. But, I've long exhausted my pre-2020 accumulated supply... Miss this product so much, would be happy to buy it, if there is a place to buy something like this individually packaged in the US, like from Amazon perhaps.)

This is the product I am talking about.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Never had those before, but is this something close to what you are looking for?
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Kobaya.../dp/B09W4KFFTF
RealHJ likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Daytona
Never had those before, but is this something close to what you are looking for?
Thanks! Looks similar indeed.

JAL FAs (until ~2019) used to go around with a basket at beginning of flight from which you could take these (along with other amenities). In business class cabin, I mean.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
They have these now. Same effect intended

Old Nov 25, 2023, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They have these now. Same effect intended

These are horrible. It heats (!!), vs cools, so it has the opposite effect after an already uncomfortably hot flight (which is extra tiring on the eyes). There’s no way that heating overheated eyes after a hot flight can cool or relax the eyes.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
These are horrible. It heats (!!), vs cools, so it has the opposite effect after an already uncomfortably hot flight (which is extra tiring on the eyes). There’s no way that heating overheated eyes after a hot flight can cool or relax the eyes.
I kind of like these. Don't think I ever used the others.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I kind of like these. Don't think I ever used the others.
To each his or her own. After the uncomfortably hot cabin temp on JL (and KE, OZ), the last thing I want is something hot on the eyes, which are already uncomfortably tired and hot from the stuffy air with no effective AC in cabin (though usually asking FAs some 2 or 3 times to turn down the temp, they will gradually turn it to more reasonable levels). But these heating pads may be good after being out in a cold blizzard or something, so I'm not throwing them all away from the amenity bags and have kept some, just have yet to be in a circumstance where it may make sense to use.

I just really, really liked the cooling eye refresher (not sure now if it ever came in the amenity kits, or was it just handed out from a basket along with other amenities pre-take off or shortly after take off; but that whole thing - the walk down the cabin with the amenity basket, I mean - JL discontinued some 4, 5 years ago). To me the cooling eye refresher was the equivalent of an extra 2-3 hours of sleep and remains, in my eyes (and to my eyes), to this day the best and most useful amenity any airline has ever had.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
I flew CGK-NRT-SAN in June. FA's handed out "
Gentle Steam Eye Masks Gentle Steam Eye Masks
" made by KAO on both business flights.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bundubasher
I flew CGK-NRT-SAN in June. FA's handed out "Gentle Steam Eye Masks" made by KAO on both business flights.
Yes, this horrible product (IMO) that will make your eyes feel even more hot and tired than it already is in the (usually) unbearably hot and stuffy cabin. But save it, if you are stuck in a blizzard outside, this product may be of use afterwards.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, this horrible product (IMO) that will make your eyes feel even more hot and tired than it already is in the (usually) unbearably hot and stuffy cabin. But save it, if you are stuck in a blizzard outside, this product may be of use afterwards.
​​​​​​Fight fire with fire. It can work....
RealHJ likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
Didn't say I used it, just saying that's what they handed out. I got home and I threw them in a drawer. Think I'll just wait and see if I get desperate.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I recently travelled FRA-NRT in JAL business class and was also impressed by the eye masks. It felt like I had two tea bags on my eyes, but didn't seem excessively hot.
During my stay in Tokyo, I bought some eye masks from one of the pharmacy/duty free shops in the Ueno market area. They were the KAO MegRhythm type Gentle Steam Eye Mask, with "40 degrees C" on the wrapper.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Speaking of the eye masks (current), I saw someone across the aisle wear the eye mask over his nose/mouth area.
Definitely a novel idea!
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daytona
Just got this product. Haven't tried it yet (will on my next flight). But it comes in one rather big packet of five, not individually packaged as I was hoping it'd be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.