Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Can I book the same flight twice then cancel first booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Going DFW-HND next year. I was planning on booking with miles on Cathay in J on a JL flight. If awards open up on AA in F later can I book the same flight then cancel the first reservation? I would hate to cancel the first then the AA availability disappear.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I don't understand. What do you mean " booking with miles on Cathay in J on a JL flight". Are you booking a JL flight in J with CX Miles? And in the future, potentially booking the same JL flight in F with AA miles?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't understand. What do you mean " booking with miles on Cathay in J on a JL flight". Are you booking a JL flight in J with CX Miles? And in the future, potentially booking the same JL flight in F with AA miles?
Yes
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAsalt
Yes
Should be fine to do that. If you try to book the same flight with AA miles, sometimes it stops you (as in, both reservations through AA).

In this case, I would book the flight in F, get the ticket and cancel immediately after. I don't know if JL does frequent sweeps to cancel duplicate reservations, but best to not let them linger for too long.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Great. Thanks for the help.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, WN
When you find the availability, hold the award ticket, and call AA. The goal is to minimize the overlap time when you have 2 tickets on the same flight.

Edit: Wrong advice please disregard.

Last edited by Rhomboid; Nov 18, 2023 at 2:52 pm
Old Nov 18, 2023, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Rhomboid
When you find the availability, hold the award ticket, and call AA. The goal is to minimize the overlap time when you have 2 tickets on the same flight.
Why call AA? The first ticket was booked with CX.

In this situation, I think that I would actually go ahead and actually purchase the second award with AA miles, and then immediately cancel the first award with CX.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
In this situation, I think that I would actually go ahead and actually purchase the second award with AA miles, and then immediately cancel the first award with CX.
Agreed. I would wait till it tickets and get the JL PNR and verify prior to canceling.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Is the hold not 100% reliable?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, WN
Originally Posted by guv1976
Why call AA? The first ticket was booked with CX.

You're right. I'm confused, thinking the OP also has the first lege from AA.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going DFW-HND next year. I was planning on booking with miles on Cathay in J on a JL flight. If awards open up on AA in F later can I book the same flight then cancel the first reservation? I would hate to cancel the first then the AA availability disappear.
Is the hold not 100% reliable?
Until you have received an e-ticket you have nothing. Funds taken from your credit card for taxes & fees are an extra assurance.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 3:25 pm

Isn't there a risk that JAL's revenue integrity robot will cancel one of the bookings?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 4:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This sounds like a question for the JL forum, so I'll move this thread over there.

/moderator
Old Nov 18, 2023, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Isn't there a risk that JAL's revenue integrity robot will cancel one of the bookings?
Eventually it will probably be detected. But as they are with different FFP miles keep the FFP number different and don't enter passport details, then the likelihood is pretty low. Especially as you only hold them both at the same time for a short while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.