Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Carry-on luggage ever measured for int'l and domestic business class passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on luggage ever measured for int'l and domestic business class passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I am thinking of using a slightly larger sized carry-on sized roll on bag for an upcoming mid-December JAL flight from LAX > KIX > HND as I am trying not to check in a bag. The dimensions of the bag are: 23"x15"x9.5" (total linear dimensions = 47.5") and this bag works fine on the US carriers used as a carry on. If I'm looking in the correct place, JAL notes carry-ons must be: 56cmx45cmx25cm (22"x18"x10") but total linear dimensions cannot be more than 45in (115cm). The bag is over my 1" in length for just one dimension, but by total, it is over by 2.5".

Questions:
1. Does JAL ever make its business passengers put their carry-ons fit in one of those metal frames? or measure them?
2. Do they ever weigh these bags?
3. I will be taking an international flight and then connecting through KIX. Wondering if the answers to 1 and 2 change for that 2nd connecting domestic leg?

Thank you kindly!
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
JAL is not too strict about carry on, unless you luggage looks absurdly huge and overweight.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'd say you're extremely likely to get away with it but just be prepared. I've never been checked on many dozens of JL flights, domestic or international. I'm pretty much never within official weight limits, even last international trip I used my fairly decent sized backpack as my "personal item" and not a word was said. Usually I prefer to check my roller but that time for some reason I wanted it as carry on. I do recall one person posted on here they got checked and JL forced them to check the bag but seems to be rare.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.