Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL - Points assigned to wrong airline. Can it be corrected?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2023, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(G), JAL, Kris, QF

TL;DR: has anyone managed to get JAL to fix incorrect points credit to a different airline (BA), and any tips for doing so?

Longer version:
I'm in the process of switching primary points collection from BA (currently Gold/OW Emerald) to JAL (no status yet). So I booked a flight on JAL (also JAL metal) but used my BA FF membership to try and get maximum flexibility for seat assignment. At Hanada at check-in I asked to change the FF assignment to my JAL membership, and the check-in staff confirmed they did this. When I later checked my digital boarding card, I noticed it still seemed to be my BA number, so I went to the agent in the JAL First lounge and asked again for the FF number to be changed to my JAL number. The agent confirmed this had already been done and the points would be credited to my JAL account. However, post flight, the points were assigned to my BA account.

You can argue that I could have avoided this by providing my JAL number during the booking, but I've done this trick multiple times before without issues, and I was assured twice at the airport that the FF number had been changed, so I believe this was a JAL mistake rather than mine. Unfortunately I never got a hard copy boarding card showing my JAL number on the boarding card (that's a lesson for the future).

These status miles are unfortunately critical for my plan to get to some kind of useful status with JAL this year (before my BA status expires). Given that I think JAL were at fault here, has anyone managed to get JAL to change points credit assignment post-flight? I.e., take the points away from BA and credit them to JAL?

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2023, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You will need to contact BA to reverse the accrual on your account, and then make a retro claim with JAL.

This happens from time to time, despite the request to change FFP the original one sticks. Or if you later use the original program for lounge access, that's where it came back. This kind of post is not rare on Flyertalk.

When you entered the JAL Lounge, did it work just by scanning the boarding pass, or did you need to pull out your BA card to get entry.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

BA is notoriously difficult to get already-credited miles undone.
I know someone else that tried to swap their FF# on the day of departure and it still got credited to BA.
Unfortunately, since you don't have any physical proof of the swap, I doubt you can point the finger at JAL.
On top of that, BA needs to cooperate before JAL can do anything.

I would suggest booking another JAL ticket for qualifying under the double FLYON promo.. and this time, don't do the last minute swap.
Keep it simple if accuracy matters.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(G), JAL, Kris, QF
Thanks for the answers! As a first step I simply filled in JALs missing miles form, and that seemed to do the trick.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by daberdeen
Thanks for the answers! As a first step I simply filled in JALs missing miles form, and that seemed to do the trick.
So now you have the miles both in your BA and your JAL account? That's a nice, and somewhat unusual outcome. Normally the flights would be flagged as already credited to an account, and a retro claim should fail. But no system is perfect.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.