Wiki Posts
Search

JAL flight timings from Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

JAL flight timings from Tokyo

Hello

I'm looking at flying from Tokyo to London, and I see when booking on BA.com JAL's flight times are a good deal shorter than BA's, I had assumed this was because of routing but I see neither fly through Russian airspace, does anyone know why this is?

Many thanks
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingPandas
Hello

I'm looking at flying from Tokyo to London, and I see when booking on BA.com JAL's flight times are a good deal shorter than BA's, I had assumed this was because of routing but I see neither fly through Russian airspace, does anyone know why this is?

Many thanks
Probably because you are looking far out in the schedule, and JAL has not updated the flight times for going around Russia yet. They will eventually. So if you are planning things, keep in mind that eventually the flight time will be adjusted.
LapLap and dw like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Probably because you are looking far out in the schedule, and JAL has not updated the flight times for going around Russia yet. They will eventually. So if you are planning things, keep in mind that eventually the flight time will be adjusted.
Thank you, that is helpful. I have a choice between economy on JAL 777 or BA 787- are they similar products? I normally prefer a newer generation aircraft as pressurisation tends to be better.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Thank you, that is helpful. I have a choice between economy on JAL 777 or BA 787- are they similar products? I normally prefer a newer generation aircraft as pressurisation tends to be better.
JL is undoubtedly better in economy. Better service and food without question, and generally their seat has a bit more legroom than most others. All else equal I'd always chose a 787 over a 777 but not when it means flying BA vs JL.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
JAL Y has 3-3-3 with 34 inch pitch on the 777s and 2-4-2 on 787s. Though from the winter schedule JL41/42 changes to 777 so no choice any longer. I would chose JAL over BA any day, food is better, cabins are nicer, cabins are cleaner.

Service is one of those things, it is very Japanese on JAL. Whether you like that or not, can be a question. There is this thing about "BA banter" that is much appreciated on the BA forum, and if you appreciate that, there is of course something going for BA there, where the JL flight attendants probably come across as more reserved, though in Y the amount of interaction time is probably limited anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 6:41 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
JAL is better no question. 9 across on a 777 vs 9 across on a 787. You do the math...
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are going after the 28th this month (October) it’s 777s only on JL.

I got this email from JAL yesterday:

More Opportunity to Fly JAL with Seat Capacity Increase

We are enhancing the London-Tokyo route starting 29 October. Currently, we operate two daily flights between Heathrow and Haneda using a Boeing 777-300ER and a Boeing 787-8.
From 29 October, the 787 will be replaced by a 4-cabin 777-300ER, introducing First and Premium Economy classes.

—-

There is no similarity between JAL and BA in Y.
BA about 17.1inch seat width and 31inch pitch in their 787s
vs
JAL 18.5inch seats and 34inch pitch on the 777-300ER

And if you can deal with a red eye, JL41 provides the world’s best long haul economy experience.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/inter/route/hndlhr/
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 19, 2023 at 9:50 am
Old Oct 22, 2023, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Exec. Club Silver
I fly on my own money, and I cannot honestly recommend anyone to fly BA over JAL in econ.

I’m addition to all the reasons mentioned above, I also like that you have the option with JAL to pay a relatively small fee per flight (~£50 I think) to make it changeable once (change fee free, only thing you pay is fare difference) or cancellation fee free (apart from the £50 you paid). I think it’s the semi-flex ticket.

If you’re on the tall side id also recommend looking into paying for the bulkhead seat.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:25 pm

Hopefully on topic I have noticed flights in the past few days are not going West - East (polar) but East - West with a longer flight time. Anyone know why?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walter82
Hopefully on topic I have noticed flights in the past few days are not going West - East (polar) but East - West with a longer flight time. Anyone know why?
Likely this one
https://apnews.com/article/russia-vo...b5846d392e4ee8
walter82 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:45 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by walter82
Unfavorable winds around Alaska and Greenland and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...-eruption.html. Also affecting eastbound transpacific flights which are flying due east instead of great circle.

Last edited by joejones; Nov 2, 2023 at 9:07 pm
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by joejones
Unfavorable winds around Alaska and Greenland and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...-eruption.html. Also affecting eastbound transpacific flights which are flying due east instead of great circle.
Very informative Joe, thank you. Navigating the skies these days is like a maze due to no go zones and weather (and volcanos).
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both JL41 and JL43 had to return via Asia and Europe yesterday with today’s JL43 flight just over Germany right now as it approaches London.

I saw mention in the UA forum that there had been a volcano eruption within Russia and the resulting ash making the airspace between Russia and Alaska impassable.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The ash cloud seems to have subsided and flights resumed over Kamchatka as of about 24 hours ago.
The _Banking_Scot and LapLap like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.