Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL poor entertainment selection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

JAL poor entertainment selection

The JAL inflight entertainment selection looks really horrble. Any hope of them expanding. It's a deal breaker for me to be on an all day flight with such a truly horrendous selection.
Why have a great new screen on the new A350 with nothing to watch.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 5:09 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DDurm
The JAL inflight entertainment selection looks really horrble. Any hope of them expanding. It's a deal breaker for me to be on an all day flight with such a truly horrendous selection.
The system on the A350-1000 is different from the rest of the fleet. It is using Panasonic vs Thales on the rest of the fleet. The Panasonic system will have expanded collection including live TV.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
This isn't unique to JL, a lot of airlines in Asia have pretty horrible selections on the IFE. Highly suggest a VPN and make friends with ThePirateBay before your flight. Not all smartphones still have external SD card slots but it's worth investing in a cheapish one that still does have it if you fly in this region very often. Also highly recommend tossing one of these in your carry on bag, regardless of Business or Economy:
Perilogics Phone Holder Perilogics Phone Holder
, it's available on Amazon in most countries, and probably AliExpress too if you're not in an Amazon country.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
JL has always had notably crappy IFE selections. I can live with that in exchange for the comfortable seat, the good food, and the nice service.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Pickles
JL has always had notably crappy IFE selections. I can live with that in exchange for the comfortable seat, the good food, and the nice service.
In an interview many years ago, Sir Tim Clark remarked on media comments that the 3-4-3 on Emirates' 77W was awfully tight, something to the extent of "If we give them great entertainment and good food, they'll not have time to worry about the seat". I guess JAL has less reason to remove focus from the seats.... lol
​​
dvs7310 and Marschel like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
The system on the A350-1000 is different from the rest of the fleet. It is using Panasonic vs Thales on the rest of the fleet. The Panasonic system will have expanded collection including live TV.
Too bad the A-350 isn't on most routes
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Do you just twidle your fingers for 14 hours?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Don't know about you, but when I was a wee lad, me mum taught me a useful skill: reading. You know, newspapers, books, magazines, Kindles. Sleeping is also a skill, and in the JAL lie-flats, it's not too bad. And worst case, there's always the laptop to do some work.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
No we just look at the in flight map for 14 hours, watching the time count down, see if we can guess how many miles we have moved by the next time the map cycles to show flight distance....

While JAL's selection is not that wide, there are usually some worthwhile movies that I have not watched before or something that can be repeated. Even on Qatar Airways I am usually forced to re-watch movies, they may have hundreds of movies, but the change from month to month is actually fairly limited. Though I probably should be better at selecting some of the movies that I never heard of.
dvs7310, CreoUCLA and Aurelian like this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Oct 11, 2023 at 4:33 pm
Old Oct 11, 2023, 4:46 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No we just look at the in flight map for 14 hours, watching the time count down
That's exactly what I did lol
dvs7310, CPH-Flyer and Aurelian like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No we just look at the in flight map for 14 hours, watching the time count down, see if we can guess how many miles we have moved by the next time the map cycles to show flight distance....
Har! I am guilty of staring at the flight map, fixating on a geographic marker tag at the edge of the screen, and watching it like a hawk until it disappears as we advance. Or watch new ones show up as we get closer to the destination.
Aurelian likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Har! I am guilty of staring at the flight map, fixating on a geographic marker tag at the edge of the screen, and watching it like a hawk until it disappears as we advance. Or watch new ones show up as we get closer to the destination.
I do actually look a good deal on the map, seeing what we pass. Recently we were close to Midway, but sadly not close enough to actually see the island.

This one gave me a bit of a laugh....

I did see Loch Ness later on the same flight, though no monster....
LapLap, dvs7310, benjahman and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:17 pm

If you're opposed to reading, you can always just watch shows/movies on your phone or tablet by utilizing the offline feature from Netflix, Hulu, Max, etc.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:46 pm

Programs: LH HON; UA GS; AF Plat; AA PP
I always look at the Japanese film offerings and the documentaries. I once saw an onsen in one of the travel documentaries and it ended up being one of my destinations in my following Japan trip. That’s how I discovered Nyuto onsen in Akita!
Aurelian likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 8:36 pm

Don't know about you, but when I was a wee lad, me mum taught me a useful skill: reading. You know, newspapers, books, magazines, Kindles. Sleeping is also a skill, and in the JAL lie-flats, it's not too bad. And worst case, there's always the laptop to do some work.
I quite like JL's curated playlists. Has introduced me to some great artists I had never heard of before. Combined with a good book (physical or digital) and the endless snack menu...<3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.