JL Connecting Domestic Flight in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2023, 3:28 am
Original Poster

JL Connecting Domestic Flight in SFO

I have a single JAL issued ticket for the following flights:
  • JL58 NRT-SFO 18:10-11:20
  • JL5460 (AS3312) SFO-SAN 14:05-15:43
This is my first time at SFO, and I am concerned about the 2hr45min connection time. If immigration/customs delays me, will JL or AS provide me a later flight for SFO-SAN?
Old Oct 10, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Unless you're unlucky it's plenty of time. I haven't been through SFO very recently but used to a lot on UA and once on JL, was never any queue that made it memorable.

Are you a US Citizen? If so download the Mobile Passport app (there's a new one now if you haven't used it for a while). It allows you to use a different queue than the general US Citizen queue, usually the same one for crew. Almost every time they tell me their scanner isn't working for the barcode, but doesn't matter, you can still use that queue and unless they've put kiosks back in now for US / Canadian / ESTA then it's definitely faster unless you have Global Entry (in which case the app is useless for you and you wouldn't be worried about a 2hr45min connection).

The continued removal of the Kiosks now really irks me, I can understand why they would have gone away from them during COVID to avoid touching but the US hasn't cared about COVID for a couple years now. Makes clearing in at some of the more terrible airports like MIA and ORD quite painful.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The international arrivals in the A gates that JAL uses tend to be a lot better than the G gates arrivals that United/Star Alliance use. Generally the timing for the NRT SFO flight tends to be good in terms of CBP waiting time for visitors. Even on a relatively bad day, it would be easily doable. I have never seen lines equivalent to the G gates arrivals on the A side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.