Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO lounge nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I did not experience anything like this when I flew on June 29. However, that was only days after the swap so I suspect some percentage of people hadn't figured it out yet. Looks terrible. Very concerning.
goldengate likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
All those people who used to bash the SFO JL lounge may now be wishing it were still around...
I've been to the old lounge a few times and it's unquestionably one of the worst international lounges I've ever been to (the only one that might be worse is AF lounge BOS). It was insanely crowded before JL flight, little food and no shower. This review sounds about right. I certainly won't miss it.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
I've been to the old lounge a few times and it's unquestionably one of the worst international lounges I've ever been to (the only one that might be worse is AF lounge BOS). It was insanely crowded before JL flight, little food and no shower. This review sounds about right. I certainly won't miss it.
FWIW I experienced that lounge 3 or 4 times and never saw anything wrong with it.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I am glad I found this thread. Flying next week into T1 domestic and then out of the International terminal on JL 1. I will definitely spend my lounge time in the AC in T1.

By the way, anyone complaining about any lounge anywhere, I always ask them if they have had the pleasure of enjoying the CM lounge at SDQ or how about the PAGGS lounge in Terminal 1 in MNL. Ha!
goldengate likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
I am glad I found this thread. Flying next week into T1 domestic and then out of the International terminal on JL 1. I will definitely spend my lounge time in the AC in T1.

By the way, anyone complaining about any lounge anywhere, I always ask them if they have had the pleasure of enjoying the CM lounge at SDQ or how about the PAGGS lounge in Terminal 1 in MNL. Ha!
Does the pre-renovation JAL Sakura Lounge in Manila count?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Does the pre-renovation JAL Sakura Lounge in Manila count?
HAHAHA I tried to forget about that one. It was horrible!
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:58 am

Looks like the CX lounge will be reopening 8/29 and hours "subject to” its own flight schedule. On some dates, CX 879 may overlap in terms of opening hours with JL 1 as they have a close departure time.
goldengate and OWF_NYC_SIN like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by coolroo
Looks like the CX lounge will be reopening 8/29 and hours "subject to” its own flight schedule. On some dates, CX 879 may overlap in terms of opening hours with JL 1 as they have a close departure time.
That should be a much better option... I've never been a fan of the BA lounge but now it's exponentially worse. I am surprised that JAL isn't maintaining a beautiful / flagship lounge here in SFO, if only for status / reputation sake. Really, they are going to allow CX to have prettier lounges in SFO and HND? Where's the pride.... I guess the accountants stole it....
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
I used to connect from JFK--TYO(--XXX) via LAX on occasion, when I have found flights that are cheaper than JFK--HND(--XXX). I avoided SFO for the lounge situation, but now it is a great moment to originate or connect at SFO for JL or any OW flyers

Although, I hope this is not the dreaded news that someday, JL will close their worse-performing lounges outside of TYO
Old Aug 21, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by goldengate
That should be a much better option... I've never been a fan of the BA lounge but now it's exponentially worse. I am surprised that JAL isn't maintaining a beautiful / flagship lounge here in SFO, if only for status / reputation sake. Really, they are going to allow CX to have prettier lounges in SFO and HND? Where's the pride.... I guess the accountants stole it....
JAL has never been great when it came to lounges, nor ANA for that matter. There are a few redeeming points for the JAL first class lounges, but generally CX has always been offering superior lounge experiences compared to JAL. With the exception of Narita probably, though the new AA by CX lounge in Narita is quite an improvement over the old CX lounge.

The JAL outstation lounges was never beautiful flagship lounges, though some improvements were made a few years ago to Bangkok and Manila. I think the key factors for a broad selection of their main passenger demographics has always been comfort food and drinks of Japan, and staff that speaks Japanese. And they deliver pretty well there.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Aug 21, 2023 at 4:21 pm
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Given CX's extremely limited flight schedule, CX lounge will not be available unless you're flying JL on a Wednesday or Sunday.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL has never been great when it came to lounges, nor ANA for that matter. There are a few redeeming points for the JAL first class lounges, but generally CX has always been offering superior lounge experiences compared to JAL..
Agree. You don't fly JAL (or NH) for the outstation lounges. I made the mistake once of going to JL at BKK rather than CX.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by coolroo
Drats, missing this by just a few days! It would have been fun to see it and avoid all the BA drama at the same time.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by goldengate
They would not accept either the boarding pass in my apple wallet or the boarding pass I had PRINTED out so like everyone else I stood in line 15 minutes to check in as two JAL employees worked to process entrants.
This is a really frustrating thing about JAL: for some bizarre reason they don't seem to accept BPs from online checkin at outstations. I got a negative reaction at JFK (of all places) from both the lounge attendant and gate agent. The gate agent was borderline rude and acted like I was being somehow weird or unreasonable for trying to use the online BP. Never mind that JAL advertises online checkin on its website and you're supposed to be able to use it from US airports.

ANA is a totally different story. I used online BPs at ORD and IAD 13 years ago with no issues at all.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:18 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
CX will again fly daily to SFO from late October using A350 aircraft
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:42 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’m originating in SFO and not checking bags. Are either of these options CX BA worth arriving early for? I’m in JL F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.