Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO lounge nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
SFO lounge nightmare

Checked in for JAL 1 today SFO HND and all went smoothly until we reached the BA lounge which has replaced the Sakura lounge here. Line of people out the door not moving. They would not accept either the boarding pass in my apple wallet or the boarding pass I had PRINTED out so like everyone else I stood in line 15 minutes to check in as two JAL employees worked to process entrants.

Once we finally arrived in the lounge it was completely full. I mean standing room only. Lines in the bathroom. Eva Air flight and JAL both had filled it up.

JAL is going to have to figure out something here. If you want lounge access and a seat I would recommend you arrive 3 hours before the flight. Two hours didn’t cut it.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:21 am

I'm going to be on JAL 1 in late august... I'm hoping that the CX lounge will be open at sfo by then
sj-flyer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
BA lounge dragons in US are frustrating:

BA Lounge and Concorde Dining at IAD

Originally Posted by nivsy
Why is everything USA so complicated? Lounge access sometimes requires a degree on"lounge entry rules". No wonder I sometimes glare at our US guests at LHR who complain and often loudly about BA lounges in UK. Far better than what you generally offer darlings...
​​​​​
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Gold
Is walking over to the AA lounge in Terminal 1 a good alternative?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Yes I think so. The AA lounge is quite nice.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Asquared1
Is walking over to the AA lounge in Terminal 1 a good alternative?
It's bigger in the new location, but not necessarily better. Old one was wide and open and had the cool fireplaces in the front. The new location on the second floor is very long and narrow. However, it's usually not super packed at the times I've been there. Food and drink options are pretty meh, because it's still an AC.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Might the Alaska Board Room in T2 be an option also, and a shorter walk?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by brenc3
Might the Alaska Board Room in T2 be an option also, and a shorter walk?
Longer and terminals not connected airside
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
Used the BA lounge a week prior to the OP while on JL1 myself. There was no line that morning (around 1015am) but there were two agents at the door - one of whom scanned my boarding pass and the other proceeded to check my name against a manifest. The lounge wasn't crowded but the food choices were meh and the tarmac views weren't nearly as nice as the one from the gate, so that's where I went about 50 minutes before boarding, so sit and watch the activity.

My family used JL57 some weeks prior to me, and they were in PE. They actually said the lounge was full at checkin, and instead offered each traveler a $25 coupon usable at the F&B outlets in the terminal.
goldengate likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
All those people who used to bash the SFO JL lounge may now be wishing it were still around...
dw and goldengate like this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
On the brighter side (potentially) maybe BR pax will start complaining too and they'll start sending their people to the UA lounges instead. If I were in biz on BR I'd be using the Polaris lounge anyway, but I'm sure some pax don't know that's an option.

Originally Posted by BlrGuy
Used the BA lounge a week prior to the OP while on JL1 myself. There was no line that morning (around 1015am) but there were two agents at the door - one of whom scanned my boarding pass and the other proceeded to check my name against a manifest. The lounge wasn't crowded but the food choices were meh and the tarmac views weren't nearly as nice as the one from the gate, so that's where I went about 50 minutes before boarding, so sit and watch the activity.

My family used JL57 some weeks prior to me, and they were in PE. They actually said the lounge was full at checkin, and instead offered each traveler a $25 coupon usable at the F&B outlets in the terminal.
Sadly $25 doesn't get you very far in US airports, especially if you've got time to kill and want some food and a few drinks.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dvs7310
On the brighter side (potentially) maybe BR pax will start complaining too and they'll start sending their people to the UA lounges instead. If I were in biz on BR I'd be using the Polaris lounge anyway, but I'm sure some pax don't know that's an option.

Sadly $25 doesn't get you very far in US airports, especially if you've got time to kill and want some food and a few drinks.
The Polaris lounge is not in a part of the airport that is connected airside. So in order to use it people would need to go through security, exit, go through security again to get to the departure gate.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 24, 2023 at 5:44 am
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Polaris lounge is not in a part of the airport thag is connected airside. So in order to use it people would need to go through security, exit, go through security again to get to the departure gate.
Ok, that's pretty bad then. For some reason I thought the old JL lounge was near the UA lounges, but come to think of it I think that was the ex-SQ lounge now. I fortunately haven't been through SFO since 2018 so memory is foggy, I also naively thought all of their terminals were connected airside but from this thread learned otherwise.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I agree it's not ideal, but it worked well for us with wife and small kids all getting a voucher - we just pooled it and ate at the outlets on the A side until it was time to clear security and head to gate.

Last edited by BlrGuy; Jul 24, 2023 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.