Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very Satisfied with JL Sky Suite (Apex)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Very Satisfied with JL Sky Suite (Apex)

Just flown my first JL from CGK-NRT-SEA on B789 and B788 respectively. Got to try Sky (Apex) suite.

I am based in SIN. And have primarily flown only SQ to anywhere. But after this JL experience (and BR) to the US. From now on, I will be flying JL mainly to the US due to the flight timing and hard products.

Understood that I got the best seat in the house (1K and 1A). But I believe all the window seats is equal? The window seat is very private. Cabin indeed is warm - good for me as I get to wear just tshirt. The only complaint is the flimsy pillow.

Man I have been missing much by flying SQ (those non bulkhead seat is a no no). Eye opener and refreshing experience!
Old Apr 20, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Yes these seats are indeed wonderful.

I have experienced equipment swaps on the SEA-NRT route, for example booking a trip that showed the Apex config and then a couple of weeks before traveling, a different config (reverse herringbone).

I have also experienced inconsistency in the schedule, where within a given weeks some days use the Apex config and some don't.

It's been a few months since I traveled on JL though, and it's possible that the inconsistency in equipment deployment was related to re-ramping operations at the tail end of the covid nightmare.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I prefer reverse herringbone to Apex. More predictable, more window seats, and more storage space.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I prefer reverse herringbone to Apex. More predictable, more window seats, and more storage space.
Sky Suite III are really tight! They may be ok for regional but not for long-haul. I am trying to avoid JL61 due to the possibility of downgrading from Sky Suite to Sky Suite III. But with JL15 losing F service too, it can happen to the HND flight as well. If that happens too often, I will just have to look for a different carrier.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Platinum
With a window seat, I don't see how reverse herringbone (Sky Suite III) could hold a candle to Apex (Sky Suite) seats.
I would even even take Sky Suite II over the reverse herringbone.... shoulder, hip, leg, feet, everything space is so tight on SSIII, and the monitor/table/seat are all offset at non-ergonomic and befuddling angles.
IMHO, when coming from Apex, the reverse herringbone seats are just a terrible J product.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:13 pm

Yeah. Folks who prefer rev her to apex tend to not be tall with large feet. Foot cubbies FTL!
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Just flown my first JL from CGK-NRT-SEA on B789 and B788 respectively. Got to try Sky (Apex) suite.

I am based in SIN. And have primarily flown only SQ to anywhere. But after this JL experience (and BR) to the US. From now on, I will be flying JL mainly to the US due to the flight timing and hard products.

Understood that I got the best seat in the house (1K and 1A). But I believe all the window seats is equal? The window seat is very private. Cabin indeed is warm - good for me as I get to wear just tshirt. The only complaint is the flimsy pillow.

Man I have been missing much by flying SQ (those non bulkhead seat is a no no). Eye opener and refreshing experience!
Unfortunately you're not always guaranteed a 789 to SEA, my upcoming award in January 2024 is on a 763.

Just back from a 789 flight and the storage space is indeed tight as a tick, but a pretty comfortable bed without the foot cubbie. Definitely would take it over some reverse herringbone with tight foot cubbies.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I can't remember whether, when I last flew the reverse herringbone seat (Skysuite III), JAL provided an Airweave mattress. Is the Airweave mattress also available on the reverse herringbone or only on the Apex seat?
Old May 1, 2023, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

I hope JL does not change plane as much as QR...
Originally Posted by tai4de2
Yes these seats are indeed wonderful. I have experienced equipment swaps on the SEA-NRT route, for example booking a trip that showed the Apex config and then a couple of weeks before traveling, a different config (reverse herringbone). I have also experienced inconsistency in the schedule, where within a given weeks some days use the Apex config and some don't. It's been a few months since I traveled on JL though, and it's possible that the inconsistency in equipment deployment was related to re-ramping operations at the tail end of the covid nightmare.
Agree! I hate those reverse herringbone seats as they are narrow and slanted towards the window.
Originally Posted by JALPak
Sky Suite III are really tight! They may be ok for regional but not for long-haul. I am trying to avoid JL61 due to the possibility of downgrading from Sky Suite to Sky Suite III. But with JL15 losing F service too, it can happen to the HND flight as well. If that happens too often, I will just have to look for a different carrier.
For Apex window, storage indeed is non existence. I have to place my stuffs at the counter top by the TV. I would be super disappointed if it got swapped to reverse herringbone. Maybe it was my first time flying JL, the service even in NRT lounge is polite and welcoming. Shout out to the shower attendant. She made sure i got my shower room at the last minute before my boarding commences.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Unfortunately you're not always guaranteed a 789 to SEA, my upcoming award in January 2024 is on a 763.
Just back from a 789 flight and the storage space is indeed tight as a tick, but a pretty comfortable bed without the foot cubbie. Definitely would take it over some reverse herringbone with tight foot cubbies.
Old May 1, 2023, 8:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I can't remember whether, when I last flew the reverse herringbone seat (Skysuite III), JAL provided an Airweave mattress. Is the Airweave mattress also available on the reverse herringbone or only on the Apex seat?
Apex only
Old May 2, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
SQ's J product is indeed uncompetitive compared to Apex. Not comfortable to even lounge in, and poor storage especially on the A380.
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The reverse herringbone seats on JAL are IMO singularly uncomfortable. There's something about how hard they are. I've experienced those same seats on EVA and they are much more comfortable, though again really don't compare in terms of creamy goodness to the Apex seats.

Oh, and a small data point: since posting earlier in this thread I've traveled SEA-NRT on JAL again, and fortunately received Apex product as expected. Probably says nothing about how likely or unlikely equipment swaps are, but I was pleased. OTOH, the onward flight from NRT was in Shell Neo or whatever they're called, and those angled lie-flats are just terrible.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by terbangalways
For Apex window, storage indeed is non existence. I have to place my stuffs at the counter top by the TV. I would be super disappointed if it got swapped to reverse herringbone. Maybe it was my first time flying JL, the service even in NRT lounge is polite and welcoming. Shout out to the shower attendant. She made sure i got my shower room at the last minute before my boarding commences.
The reverse herringbone seats on JAL are IMO singularly uncomfortable. There's something about how hard they are. I've experienced those same seats on EVA and they are much more comfortable, though again really don't compare in terms of creamy goodness to the Apex seats.

Oh, and a small data point: since posting earlier in this thread I've traveled SEA-NRT on JAL again, and fortunately received Apex product as expected. Probably says nothing about how likely or unlikely equipment swaps are, but I was pleased. OTOH, the onward flight from NRT was in Shell Neo or whatever they're called, and those angled lie-flats are just terrible.
It seems to be Sky Suite II on JL 68/67 when they swap SEA-NRT to a 767, not the SS III reverse herringbone. And it's a planned swap, this is for January 2024.
Old May 3, 2023, 2:40 pm

Yes I guess YMMV. I flew the reverse herringbone seats from DEL to NRT on a redeye a few years ago and they were very comfortable for me. Not too hard or too soft. Maybe you got a new-delivery seat that was still too stiff -- sorry to hear that!

I will say that the Japanese food on DEL-NRT was probably catered from NRT and not too fresh as a result! Dinner was OK; breakfast was borderline inedible.
Old May 3, 2023, 7:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Hope Shell Flat Neo gets fully rotated out soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.