Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

jal lounge access on premium economy codeshare with AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 11:29 am
Original Poster

hi all, q on my itinerary. i could have booked all JAL metal, but booked mixed JAL/AA, with the hope i could upgrade on AA.

my itinerary is BKK-HND (jal) HND-LAX (aa), and the reverse LAX-HND (aa), HND-BKK (jal). purchase was on aa.com. right now my understanding is that my only lounge access would be in the sakura lounge in BKK when flying BKK-HND, and on the reverse in HND when flying back. is this correct, and the AA leg HND-LAX won't get me access?

it appears the AA biz seats are typically all sold for business between HND-LAX, and that i'm quite unlikely to get upgraded.

aa has the 787-8 with 38 seat pitch 18.5 seat width per seatguru.
jal 777 has 42 pitch 19 width through if i go through DFW.
looks like i could switch to all jal flights for 75-150 of change fee.

should i make the change for additional lounge access in HND on the way out? apparently a LAX lounge too? (i'll note i do have access to amex centurion and a priority pass though too) and nicer seats? food/service worth it? open to the wisdom of flyertalk on if this would be a good move.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If you are on AA codeshare on the JAL flights, no lounge access for PY you need a JAL flight number on a JAL operated flight.
so_do likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by sickmint79
hi all, q on my itinerary. i could have booked all JAL metal, but booked mixed JAL/AA, with the hope i could upgrade on AA.

my itinerary is BKK-HND (jal) HND-LAX (aa), and the reverse LAX-HND (aa), HND-BKK (jal). purchase was on aa.com. right now my understanding is that my only lounge access would be in the sakura lounge in BKK when flying BKK-HND, and on the reverse in HND when flying back. is this correct, and the AA leg HND-LAX won't get me access?

it appears the AA biz seats are typically all sold for business between HND-LAX, and that i'm quite unlikely to get upgraded.

aa has the 787-8 with 38 seat pitch 18.5 seat width per seatguru.
jal 777 has 42 pitch 19 width through if i go through DFW.
looks like i could switch to all jal flights for 75-150 of change fee.

should i make the change for additional lounge access in HND on the way out? apparently a LAX lounge too? (i'll note i do have access to amex centurion and a priority pass though too) and nicer seats? food/service worth it? open to the wisdom of flyertalk on if this would be a good move.
With OW Emerald status (via AA EXP), you have access to multiple OW lounges at BKK, HND & LAX.
JL First Class lounge in HND and QF First lounge in LAX are also accessible.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Also as a one world emerald ( difficult to see on the mobile device) you can use the first class ( or premium check in if no first class) check in

Regards

Tbs
so_do likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you are on AA codeshare on the JAL flights, no lounge access for PY you need a JAL flight number on a JAL operated flight.
i will get jal lounge access in bkk on the way out, and in haneda returning to bangkok still right?

Originally Posted by so_do
With OW Emerald status (via AA EXP), you have access to multiple OW lounges at BKK, HND & LAX.
JL First Class lounge in HND and QF First lounge in LAX are also accessible.
i think you are referring to my program status - i just wiped that all out as i no longer had much. used to fly 100+ segments in the midwest. now i'm mostly in thailand with random personal or work flights, generally what is cheapest so a mix between alliances.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Also as a one world emerald ( difficult to see on the mobile device) you can use the first class ( or premium check in if no first class) check in

Regards

Tbs
OP does not mention OWE, or am I blind. I even tried to look for it again.....
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
OP does not mention OWE, or am I blind. I even tried to look for it again.....

Hi

I'm sure it was there when i looked at the profile just I posted. The op may have changed his profile.

Regards

Tbs
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

I'm sure it was there when i looked at the profile just I posted. The op may have changed his profile.

Regards

Tbs
Maybe? Forgotten to update the profile in a while?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Maybe? Forgotten to update the profile in a while?
that is correct, i essentially transitioned from ditching chicago winter pre-pandemic to then making bangkok (koh lanta technically) an indefinite home base. my flight status now is nothing anywhere now, so i just updated that part of the profile and wiped out the hotel and air statuses. i put down a fair amount of international SQ miles earlier but next flight really only made sense with aa/oneworld as the times worked well and the premium economy appeared to be a pretty good deal. however i'm pretty unclear now on which lounges i get access to on an AA purchased itinerary with the mix of JAL and AA metal. right now i'm assuming i can access a JAL lounge when leaving on a JAL flight, so BKK-HND and HND-BKK only.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that is correct, i essentially transitioned from ditching chicago winter pre-pandemic to then making bangkok (koh lanta technically) an indefinite home base. my flight status now is nothing anywhere now, so i just updated that part of the profile and wiped out the hotel and air statuses. i put down a fair amount of international SQ miles earlier but next flight really only made sense with aa/oneworld as the times worked well and the premium economy appeared to be a pretty good deal. however i'm pretty unclear now on which lounges i get access to on an AA purchased itinerary with the mix of JAL and AA metal. right now i'm assuming i can access a JAL lounge when leaving on a JAL flight, so BKK-HND and HND-BKK only.
JL metal with JL flight numbers, then yes you get lounge access in BKK and HND. If JL metal and AA flight numbers AA rules for lounge access applies, meaning no lounge access.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:40 am
Original Poster

i'm a little confused in that i can find jal PE on aa search (bkk-hnd-las on 6/25) but cannot on jal's own website. it's not a different price, it simply isn't showing up.

per the above it sounds like technically i'll have access to no lounges.

per this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/americanair...share_but_jal/ it sounds like some access was provided though, simply based on the metal
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i'm a little confused in that i can find jal PE on aa search (bkk-hnd-las on 6/25) but cannot on jal's own website. it's not a different price, it simply isn't showing up.

per this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/americanair...share_but_jal/ it sounds like some access was provided though, simply based on the metal
AA will want to sell you the AA codeshare on the flights, just as JAL will want to sell you JL codeshare on AA flights to the extent they can.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

The responder in the reddit thread had aa platinum status which would grant lounge access regardless of JL or AA flight number.. so it's impossible for them to know the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.