Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

New status programme (launching in January 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New status programme (launching in January 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Those who live outside of Japan will earn 5 LSP for every 1500 miles accumulated via the following cards
JAL USA CARD
AEON Card JAL
JAL Shinko Card
JAL Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Credit Card
izzik, percysmith and paul00 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Mr Market
does anyone know if the AEON JAL Card issued in HK counts as a JAL CARD spending under the new program for status?
Originally Posted by GordonMacPherson
yes
Originally Posted by percysmith
It’s not the Aeon JAL Card, but rather the Aeon Card JAL here.

Same for Aeon Card JAL?
MrMarket now yes

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/jmb/lsp/information/

--> https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/jmb/lsp/service/

------> https://www.jal.co.jp/hk/ja/info/aeoncard-jal-hk/
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:20 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
so far not impressed with the benefits
Same here. I've recently reached four star status. I just looked at the benefits and did not find any of them exciting. Makes me wonder what is the point of this program and why would anyone expend any effort trying to reach the next star grade after achieving JGC.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Same here. I've recently reached four star status. I just looked at the benefits and did not find any of them exciting. Makes me wonder what is the point of this program and why would anyone expend any effort trying to reach the next star grade after achieving JGC.
To be fair, I reached 4* without putting much effort. Lifetime miles were never the focus when I planned for semi-MR. In order to advance in star grades, you just need to stay loyal for a long period of time lol I probably will switch some daily spendings to the JAL USA CARD but that’s about it for me as an overseas member.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Those who live outside of Japan will earn 5 LSP for every 1500 miles accumulated via the following cards
JAL USA CARD
AEON Card JAL
JAL Shinko Card
JAL Shanghai Pudong Development Bank Credit Card
So for the USA card, if you have the Premium Rewards ($70 annual fee, $1 per mile spent), you need to spend $300 per LSP or $450k to get 1500 LSPs?

If I'm reading this correctly, this makes it pretty hard to get started if you have no status?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gudugan
So for the USA card, if you have the Premium Rewards ($70 annual fee, $1 per mile spent), you need to spend $300 per LSP or $450k to get 1500 LSPs?

If I'm reading this correctly, this makes it pretty hard to get started if you have no status?
Spending money to accrue status is unfortunately now the norm thanks to AA and other US airlines... But it should be hard to accrue 1500 lsp. I realize 450k is probably out of reach for most jmb members but it's still achievable.

Last edited by izzik; Mar 28, 2024 at 10:20 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gudugan

Originally Posted by izzik
Spending money to accrue status is unfortunately now the norm thanks to AA and other US airlines... But it should be hard to accrue 1500 lsp. I realize 450k is probably out of reach for most jmb members but it's still achievable.
I don't really think the intention is for people to earn their stars on spend alone. But as the goal posts for the star levels were moved further away, the intention was to add additional ways to get people to the targets, that should also move some extra revenue JAL's way.

Despite adding LSP earning for 105 domestic flights that did not count before, I was still further away from my next level than in the old model. So getting a few extra streams to earn LSP with will help me get back on track. Do I particularly aim to get my stars? No they are kind of just a consequence of activities I anyway have. The one thing I would like to reach is the no mileage expiry, which I think is 6 star, so I doubt I'll get there.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't really think the intention is for people to earn their stars on spend alone. But as the goal posts for the star levels were moved further away, the intention was to add additional ways to get people to the targets, that should also move some extra revenue JAL's way.

Despite adding LSP earning for 105 domestic flights that did not count before, I was still further away from my next level than in the old model. So getting a few extra streams to earn LSP with will help me get back on track. Do I particularly aim to get my stars? No they are kind of just a consequence of activities I anyway have. The one thing I would like to reach is the no mileage expiry, which I think is 6 star, so I doubt I'll get there.
No, 5* for no expiry, which is what I want too. You also get a new tag, JGC invite for families, lounge coupons for families, and unlimited (sakura only?) lounge invite for families traveling with you, ability to transfer miles to families.

6* is for F lounge access....and maybe some other benefits that I don't care about.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
No, 5* for no expiry, which is what I want too. You also get a new tag, JGC invite for families, lounge coupons for families, and unlimited (sakura only?) lounge invite for families traveling with you, ability to transfer miles to families.

6* is for F lounge access....and maybe some other benefits that I don't care about.
Well, then no expiry is pretty close. Happy days....
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Well, then no expiry is pretty close. Happy days....
Just keep your metal card, then you have no expiry
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just keep your metal card, then you have no expiry
Somehow, I might eventually want a job, or just get a job, that does not require living in a suitcase. That's when I need the no expiry condition. Currently not an issue, just looking ahead.
izzik and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:09 am

What is the impact of JGC invite for families perk? Is this primarily for overseas JMB members?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:35 pm

What is the impact of JGC invite for families perk? Is this primarily for overseas JMB members?
No, through this your invited family members become primary JGC members and no longer depend on your membership
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:24 pm

No, through this your invited family members become primary JGC members and no longer depend on your membership
Interesting. Is JAL definition of "family" similar to what is used for JALFC?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:55 pm

Interesting. Is JAL definition of "family" similar to what is used for JALFC?
You will need to wait for the T&C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.