Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

New status programme (launching in January 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2022, 11:37 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

JAL has just announced a 'new status program' which will be launched in January 2024 and will co-exist with (rather than replace) the 'FLY ON Program'. The relevant webpage is https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/jmb/status-program/

A few highlights of the 'new status program' from the webpage:
  • 'New status points can be earned not only from travel (such as JAL Group flights and tours), but also by using everyday services (such as JALCARD spending and JAL Shopping purchases) and participating in environmentally friendly activities promoted by JAL.' (this sounds like AA Loyalty Points)
  • 'As you will continue to accumulate new status points over your lifetime for as long as you maintain your JMB membership, you can aim for status rank at your own pace according to your current lifestyle.'
  • 'Qualification for higher status ranks will allow you to enjoy more services and benefits over your lifetime, starting with Sakura Lounge visits and progressing to no expiration for miles and lifetime access to premium JAL lounges'
  • 'As a general rule, a JALCARD credit card (CLUB-A Card, CLUB-A Gold Card, JAL Diners Card, or JAL Platinum Card) is required to enjoy services and benefits under the status program. Different requirements apply for customers living outside Japan who cannot hold a JALCARD.'
  • 'At the launch of the new status program, your lifetime flight activity (total number of JAL international sector miles and JAL domestic flights traveled on fares eligible for earning miles since enrolling in JMB) will be converted to new status points and credited to your account.'
  • 'The FLY ON Program for our frequent flyers will continue to be offered.'
  • At present, to qualify for JAL Global Club membership, one must be a JMB Sapphire or Diamond member. Starting from January 2024, one will have to 'qualify for a designated status rank' to qualify for JGC membership.
At this stage, only the broad contours of the 'new status program' have been announced – 'More information about the program, including criteria for earning new status points and terms of use for services and benefits, will be announced on the JAL website by the end of 2023.'
Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Wow, JAL's status program is getting unbelievably complicated. So now there will be this new program plus Fly On status, JGC (which will be changing soon), and JGC Life Mileage, each with its own set of tiers and qualifying requirements. Just hearing about all these programs, I've already lost my motivation to invest the time to understand them all.
CX HK, Marschel and minizian like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:28 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Wow, JAL's status program is getting unbelievably complicated. So now there will be this new program plus Fly On status, JGC (which will be changing soon), and JGC Life Mileage, each with its own set of tiers and qualifying requirements. Just hearing about all these programs, I've already lost my motivation to invest the time to understand them all.
About time they end the ridiculous qualify Sapphire once and enjoy it forever benefit. It makes more sense have JAL BIS miles as the qualification so only loyal members qualify for such program. I suspect the JGC benefits itself will probably depends on your status tier. Maybe you only get to access the Sakura lounge if you are flying JL (just like the good old days) and as you progress your lifetime miles/status tier, you get to enjoy alliance sapphire benefits. If that’s the case, are they going to grandfather existing JGC members and grant them equivalent benefits? Quite a few people will be upset depending on how the conversion is done.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

My initial impression is that status will no longer be a calendar year qualification under the new program.. but rather a lifetime accumulation of permanent benefits that do not expire year to year.
"Qualify for your first status rank in a few years.." really stands out (for the leisure traveler profile).
In most airlines' programs, the "lifetime" status starts at 1 million miles (or 500k for some), with no benefits until the million mark. This sounds like a looser idea where non-expiring benefits are doled out piecemeal, depending on how many points you've earned in your lifetime.

The question is how long FLY ON will exist alongside this lifetime program.. or will everyone transition to the lifetime program. Reminds me of KAL and Morning Calm club, though that's also changing in 2024.
I could see this as simply an expansion of the lifetime status benefits concept, without penalizing anyone who's a longtime JAL flyer. It incentivizes the non-travel accrual schemes like AA has, which are reliable sources of income in times when travel is less likely (eg, future pandemic/shutdown).

The other big question is whether they will grandfather JGC members who qualified under the old scheme, but force new JGC qualification through the new program (maybe something like you need a lifetime amt of X JAL Group miles first). Keep the JGC "lifetime" sapphire renewal but make it harder to get there.

Last edited by izzik; Dec 14, 2022 at 9:16 am
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:21 am

Also, this statement here is unclear:

The current qualification requirements will apply until 2024 service year eligibility, which is determined by flight activity from January 1 through December 31, 2023.

Does this mean that 2023 is the final year one can qualify for JGC invite under the old scheme?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So do we know for sure lifetime Sapphire with JGC is going away or is it continuing for those who already earned it. I don’t want to argue about it being good or bad, I just want to understand the very unclear and vague messaging from JAL on the JGC program going forward into 2024.
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by izzik
Also, this statement here is unclear:

The current qualification requirements will apply until 2024 service year eligibility, which is determined by flight activity from January 1 through December 31, 2023.

Does this mean that 2023 is the final year one can qualify for JGC invite under the old scheme?
Yes, at least for Japan region member as the overseas region qualification has not been announced. Also, even if you qualify in 2023, your so called lifetime sapphire benefit may no longer be available from 2024 depending on how they convert existing JGC members.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:38 am

Is there a Japanese language version of the announcement?
If so, is it different in terms of content in the English language version?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So do we know for sure lifetime Sapphire with JGC is going away or is it continuing for those who already earned it. I don’t want to argue about it being good or bad, I just want to understand the very unclear and vague messaging from JAL on the JGC program going forward into 2024.
It has not been announced. But based on the wordings on that page, JGC benefits will change and probably will depend on your status tier which is based on lifetime JL Group BIS miles and other activities. You will need to wait for further announcement. If you just qualify for JGC without much JMB history, you could be at risk of losing the ow sapphire tier but it’s all speculations at this point.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:43 pm

For all the griping about "lifetime" sapphire via JGC membership, just keep in mind that JAL can (and probably should) raise the annual mileage cost of maintaining JGC. 5000 miles might not seem like much but that's $$ being paid to JAL Mileage Bank.
Thus, it's not really free because at the end of the day, some entity has to purchase the miles from JMB (which are then accrued into your account).
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For all the griping about "lifetime" sapphire via JGC membership, just keep in mind that JAL can (and probably should) raise the annual mileage cost of maintaining JGC. 5000 miles might not seem like much but that's $$ being paid to JAL Mileage Bank.
Thus, it's not really free because at the end of the day, some entity has to purchase the miles from JMB (which are then accrued into your account).
I don't think a lot of folks are flying JAL once and done to get "lifetime" status for 5,000 miles a year - that is probably a small drop in the bucket given that only someone with 'insider knowledge' to take advantage of this would do so, and a tiny fraction at that would not be flying JAL again. Personally I was so impressed with my JAL business class experience, I would certainly be flying them again. While I would prefer an upgraded business class seat product like ANA, I've never eaten so well on a flight before in my life.

Having Sapphire just enhances my experience when I'm still flying within North America and can consider AA as an option vs UA.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Is there a Japanese language version of the announcement?
If so, is it different in terms of content in the English language version?
It's the same page in Japanese. My guess is that this will be similar to ANA's alternative way of qualifying for status, wherein using services like in-flight shopping, Furusato Nozei, or getting insurance through them + getting a reduced number of FlyOn points will allow you to get the equivalent status. I'm more curious about the changes to JGC, especially for us Japan-based members.
whkento likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mizunara
It's the same page in Japanese. My guess is that this will be similar to ANA's alternative way of qualifying for status, wherein using services like in-flight shopping, Furusato Nozei, or getting insurance through them + getting a reduced number of FlyOn points will allow you to get the equivalent status. I'm more curious about the changes to JGC, especially for us Japan-based members.
And they mention overseas members will have different qualifying requirements for JGC since we can't participate in almost all of the other activities restricted to Japanese residents. Hopefully they will leave our JGC requirements alone.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:13 pm

Well, there's a US version of the JAL card.. maybe that's part of the picture.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
I'm wondering how this is going to affect the JGC Lifetime Miles program. I'm finally going to ding 250K international miles with my trip after this Christmas trip. It would suck to finally reach that tier and then not keep going

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.