Wiki Posts
Search

Bubbles in F

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Bubbles in F

Hi
Ive just been on the JAL website checking out the menu and I noticed that Salon is only for flights from Japan. I'm flying from CDG in Dec is this the case?

​​​​​​Shame if it is as I was looking forward to tasting it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:02 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Robcuk
Hi
Ive just been on the JAL website checking out the menu and I noticed that Salon is only for flights from Japan. I'm flying from CDG in Dec is this the case?

​​​​​​Shame if it is as I was looking forward to tasting it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
Yes, Salon is ex-Japan only in Dec as well

https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...f_d_202212.pdf
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by JALPak
Yes, Salon is ex-Japan only in Dec as well

https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...f_d_202212.pdf
How long ago did they stop offering Cristal on their Inbound flights?
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by tuchop
They have always been rotating the champagnes offered along side the Salon from time to time. I can only see the current one as an improvement over Cristal.....
vindor likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by tuchop
Across three ex-JFK flights over the last month it has always been Cristal to TYO.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MattEvan
Across three ex-JFK flights over the last month it has always been Cristal to TYO.
For November this is the champagne menu, I can't remember if it was October as well. But I think it was.

Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For November this is the champagne menu, I can't remember if it was October as well. But I think it was.

it was the same for Oct
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:56 am

For what it's worth, the Salon on outbound F from Japan is misleading, as is their marketing in the beverage menu. "Only you, JAL First Class passengers, can enjoy the privilege of savoring the highest quality Champagne 'Salon' in the stratosphere". Not quite true. My flight yesterday consisted of 6 adults (one who immediately went to sleep, so really 5) and the Salon was gone within 20 minutes after beverage service started. They stocked one whole bottle. My wife got the dregs at the end, maybe a 1/3 of a glass. So really, it's "only you, JAL First Class passengers can enjoy our premium beverage if you order it immediately and are one of the first served."

ANA had no issues with their Hibiki 21 stock.

Also, curious what others think about infants and children in first class? I had the supreme misfortune of having not one but two children, one an infant and one around two, in my cabin. As you can imagine, this meant the rest of the cabin got very little sleep. I got none, since the ambiance was that of a daycare. Anyone is within their right to bring young babies into F I suppose, but it's certainly a drag for those who spent considerable resources for these flights only to have the main attraction of sleep and peace taken away. Perhaps I'd be less cranky if JAL stocked their marquee drink to a level where passengers could at least enjoy one complete glass.
Buster CT1K and GWFan like this.

Last edited by Morkai; Nov 22, 2022 at 3:02 am
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The catering levels of Salon are getting a bit absurd. I wonder what weighs in the most, the cost or the availability?
Comparing to Hibiki 21 is interesting, a bottle of Salon is in all likelihood more expensive, yet only serves 6-7 glasses depending on the pour.

There are many views on babies and toddlers in premium classes. And without turning this thread in to a discussion of that, I will just say I have a view that is opposite of yours. But I am not going to start the argument, or try to convince you that I am right. Your experience was less than you expected because of it, and I do fully understand the disappointment of that.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, A12 Cars Gold, Harmonicande Vintners Platinum!
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The catering levels of Salon are getting a bit absurd. I wonder what weighs in the most, the cost or the availability?
Comparing to Hibiki 21 is interesting, a bottle of Salon is in all likelihood more expensive, yet only serves 6-7 glasses depending on the pour.

There are many views on babies and toddlers in premium classes. And without turning this thread in to a discussion of that, I will just say I have a view that is opposite of yours. But I am not going to start the argument, or try to convince you that I am right. Your experience was less than you expected because of it, and I do fully understand the disappointment of that.
I think its the availability, although the two are obviously linked. I recall reading somewhere the yield of the '07 was just 50,000 bottles, but that the latest vintage release (can't recall the year) produced a much higher yield, so perhaps things will get easier.

Meantime it is absurd that JAL are choosing to stock one bottle of Salon, rather than say 6 bottles of a $200 Champagne. Didn't SFO777 write a trip report recently where he had a whole bottle of Salon to himself and yet the poor poster above receives a thimble full?

That their winelist is also uninspiring (Bordeaux or Pinot Noir are your effective red choices) suggests that someone at JAL doesn't really have a grip of their beverage selection.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by rtaylore
I think its the availability, although the two are obviously linked. I recall reading somewhere the yield of the '07 was just 50,000 bottles, but that the latest vintage release (can't recall the year) produced a much higher yield, so perhaps things will get easier.

Meantime it is absurd that JAL are choosing to stock one bottle of Salon, rather than say 6 bottles of a $200 Champagne. Didn't SFO777 write a trip report recently where he had a whole bottle of Salon to himself and yet the poor poster above receives a thimble full?

That their winelist is also uninspiring (Bordeaux or Pinot Noir are your effective red choices) suggests that someone at JAL doesn't really have a grip of their beverage selection.
JAL serves two types of champagne, so they stock more than just a single bottle of Salon.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:06 am

I had a similar expierience with JAL F Salon, I was the last to be served and only had about 1/2 of a glass.
TBH I'd much rather have them load 4 2008 PR Sir Winston Churchill, 2002 Dom P2, 2008 Cristal or even 2008 Krug Vintage rather than just 1 Salon.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:45 am

Apparently Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 2007 has been changed for Drappier La Grande Sendrée 2012 as the second option from December.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:50 am

Indeed. Another downgrade.

Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Last week JFK-HND was 7/8 and both the Billecart and Comptes ran out. However now I’m not sure Comptes was even loaded then…I was offered the other second December option when I asked for Comptes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.