JL42 Equipment Change

Old Jan 14, 20, 11:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 65
JL42 Equipment Change

I have a flight booked in business on JL42 in April. The plane has been changed to a 773 from a 788. I don't mind the change in equipment but is the business class seat the same Skysuite? Also any recommendations for seat choice. Row 7 and all window seats are blocked to me as it's a codeshare flight.

Last edited by JCC87; Jan 14, 20 at 11:28 am
JCC87 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:34 am
  #2  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,278
Yes, same sky suite seat
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:45 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Yes, same sky suite seat
Thanks. Do you recommend a middle seat in the row of 3? I'm thinking it has the best privacy other than the window seat.
JCC87 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:02 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by JCC87 View Post
Thanks. Do you recommend a middle seat in the row of 3? I'm thinking it has the best privacy other than the window seat.
If you can't get a window seat, that would probably be my second choice.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:09 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,149
Is this a long term change for JL41/42? A bit of a waste of an F cabin for 41 assuming they have zero food after take off as currently in Y and J.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:01 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 65
I can't believe it. I tried and tried and tried to get a window seat when this flight was on a 788. Got told they are blocked to codeshare bookings. Plane gets changed to a 773 and they give me a window seat (9K) with no issues. So much relief.

Last edited by JCC87; Jan 15, 20 at 5:44 am
JCC87 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:11 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 65
The 773 has premium economy and first class, which the 788 did not. If you do a search for this flight it won't let you book those classes. They aren't going to fly this plane with those cabins empty are they? I was thinking about enquiring for an upgrade to first class.
JCC87 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:21 am
  #8  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,278
Originally Posted by JCC87 View Post
The 773 has premium economy and first class, which the 788 did not. If you do a search for this flight it won't let you book those classes. They aren't going to fly this plane with those cabins empty are they? I was thinking about enquiring for an upgrade to first class.
if you are eligible, they would have let u select those seats already.
Tokyoite likes this.
JALPak is offline  
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:06 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UKB
Posts: 11,424
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Is this a long term change for JL41/42? A bit of a waste of an F cabin for 41 assuming they have zero food after take off as currently in Y and J.
Until Aug 31. From Sep 1 they put the aircraft to SYD and LHR is back to 788
fumitani is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:20 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 65
You can now book premium and first on JAL's site. 9k for first class though! I'll stick with business, I think asking for the upgrade price will unlikely be cheap.
JCC87 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:25 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by JCC87 View Post
You can now book premium and first on JAL's site. 9k for first class though! I'll stick with business, I think asking for the upgrade price will unlikely be cheap.
JAL does not offer discounted upgrades, you'd need to reprice and reissue the ticket under the fare rules.

You can upgrade using miles.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:34 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
JAL does not offer discounted upgrades, you'd need to reprice and reissue the ticket under the fare rules.

You can upgrade using miles.
It's OK, I'm happy with my window business seat and return flight with BA in First. Although JAL's first class looks like it's in another league. I'm not a frequent flyer so don't have miles. I just love flying and economy always ruins the experience for me. So I've dived into my savings and finally flying business/first.
JCC87 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: