Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JL42 Equipment Change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:22 am
Original Poster

JL42 Equipment Change

I have a flight booked in business on JL42 in April. The plane has been changed to a 773 from a 788. I don't mind the change in equipment but is the business class seat the same Skysuite? Also any recommendations for seat choice. Row 7 and all window seats are blocked to me as it's a codeshare flight.

Last edited by JCC87; Jan 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:34 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Yes, same sky suite seat
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
Yes, same sky suite seat
Thanks. Do you recommend a middle seat in the row of 3? I'm thinking it has the best privacy other than the window seat.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JCC87
Thanks. Do you recommend a middle seat in the row of 3? I'm thinking it has the best privacy other than the window seat.
If you can't get a window seat, that would probably be my second choice.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Is this a long term change for JL41/42? A bit of a waste of an F cabin for 41 assuming they have zero food after take off as currently in Y and J.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:01 am
Original Poster

I can't believe it. I tried and tried and tried to get a window seat when this flight was on a 788. Got told they are blocked to codeshare bookings. Plane gets changed to a 773 and they give me a window seat (9K) with no issues. So much relief.

Last edited by JCC87; Jan 15, 2020 at 5:44 am
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:11 am
Original Poster

The 773 has premium economy and first class, which the 788 did not. If you do a search for this flight it won't let you book those classes. They aren't going to fly this plane with those cabins empty are they? I was thinking about enquiring for an upgrade to first class.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:21 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
The 773 has premium economy and first class, which the 788 did not. If you do a search for this flight it won't let you book those classes. They aren't going to fly this plane with those cabins empty are they? I was thinking about enquiring for an upgrade to first class.
if you are eligible, they would have let u select those seats already.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Is this a long term change for JL41/42? A bit of a waste of an F cabin for 41 assuming they have zero food after take off as currently in Y and J.
Until Aug 31. From Sep 1 they put the aircraft to SYD and LHR is back to 788
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:20 am
Original Poster

You can now book premium and first on JAL's site. £9k for first class though! I'll stick with business, I think asking for the upgrade price will unlikely be cheap.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can now book premium and first on JAL's site. £9k for first class though! I'll stick with business, I think asking for the upgrade price will unlikely be cheap.
JAL does not offer discounted upgrades, you'd need to reprice and reissue the ticket under the fare rules.

You can upgrade using miles.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL does not offer discounted upgrades, you'd need to reprice and reissue the ticket under the fare rules.

You can upgrade using miles.
It's OK, I'm happy with my window business seat and return flight with BA in First. Although JAL's first class looks like it's in another league. I'm not a frequent flyer so don't have miles. I just love flying and economy always ruins the experience for me. So I've dived into my savings and finally flying business/first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.