Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Priority bag tags for Jetstar to JAL F flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska

Hi all, I'll be traveling CTS-TYO-JFK in January. I already have a NRT-JFK leg in F booked, and I'm looking into a separate paid ticket for CTS-NRT on Jetstar (the only CTS-NRT on JAL is super early in the morning, which is unappealing). If I checked bags at CTS using Jetstar:
1) Would I be able to check through to JFK (I assume this is a "yes" since Jetstar and JAL are partners)?
2) Does Jetstar have JAL first class priority bag tags so that my bags will come out quickly at JFK?

Third question that's unrelated to baggage -- would I have lounge access at CTS via my international F ticket?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by frisbfreek; Oct 1, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Hi all, I'll be traveling CTS-TYO-JFK in January. I already have a NRT-JFK leg in F booked, and I'm looking into a separate paid ticket for CTS-NRT on Jetstar (the only CTS-NRT on JAL is super early in the morning, which is unappealing). If I checked bags at CTS using Jetstar:
1) Would I be able to check through to JFK (I assume this is a "yes" since Jetstar and JAL are partners)?
2) Does Jetstar have JAL first class priority bag tags so that my bags will come out quickly at JFK?

Thanks in advance!
More of a question for Jetstar forum, as you are hoping Jetstar will through check bags on separate tickets. Jetstar is discussed in QF from
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qant...ent-flyer-498/

Jetstar is a point to point low cost carrier. I would not be expecting bags to be interlined on separate tickets.
https://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/flights/baggage
https://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/help/a...gage-transfers
Baggage transfers and flight connections

Please be aware that we don’t transfer your baggage between flights. However, there are some exceptions:
  • Connecting international Jetstar flights and flights with our partner airlines (see list below), where both international flights were purchased on the same booking
  • Domestic flights in Japan connecting to international flights operated by American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Japan Airlines and Qantas, where both flights were purchased on the same booking

If you're transferring between domestic flights or between international and domestic flights, in most cases you’ll need to collect your baggage, check in again and transfer your bags.

Our check-in staff will let you know if your baggage will be transferred. You may still need to check in at the connecting airport to obtain your next boarding pass before check-in closes.

Remember, it’s your responsibility to make your connecting flight on time.
<snip>
I would be booking a JAL flight
Link---->JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by frisbfreek

Third question that's unrelated to baggage -- would I have lounge access at CTS via my international F ticket?

Thanks in advance!

There will be no lounge access in CTS as you are not flying JL.

You can check if you can get the Jetstar flight as a JL codeshare, that would fix the lounge access.

If you manage to get a through check, Jetstar will not have F tags for the bag. But JAL will tag the bags when they receive them in NRT. They do that at all stations, I have had the right JL tag appear on my bag after checking in with PG on a PG marketed flight in Koh Samui.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Oct 1, 2019 at 4:53 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
More of a question for Jetstar forum, as you are hoping Jetstar will through check bags on separate tickets. Jetstar is discussed in QF from
Jetstar Japan fall under the JAL forum, as they are partially owned by JAL, and is part of the JAL domestic network same way as they are for Qantas in Australia.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the help everyone! That’s pretty great that JAL will retag behind the scenes; that’s top notch service. I wasn’t able to book the Jetstar flight as a JAL codeshare, so I think my best bet is to fly the day before to HND (actually on JAL) and enjoy some time in Tokyo instead.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
I tried the same thing NRT-KIX a couple of months ago on separate tickets and couldn't get bags transferred through to LAX on my JAL flight. And they're very much a low cost carrier. Expect to have your carry on weighed on a scale at the gate.
Tokyoite and frisbfreek like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Exactly. With Jetsar, any suspiciously overweight carry on Is weighed and the gate, and penalized instantly if over the 7kgs limit. (buy additional baggage or dump something before you board).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Exactly. With Jetsar, any suspiciously overweight carry on Is weighed and the gate, and penalized instantly if over the 7kgs limit. (buy additional baggage or dump something before you board).
Sounds like a charming airline to fly.... :-/
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just flew CTS-NRT-SEA yesterday using Jetstar for the CTS-NRT segment as a JL codeshare. I didn't check luggage, but my colleague did and she was able to check thru to SEA.

Also, we were able to access the CTS Sakura lounge after the people at the Sakura desk looked up and confirmed we had J ticket on NRT-SEA later that day.
frisbfreek likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

It sounds like the Jetstar check in experience will depend heavily on the agent. Given that my carry-on bag will exceed 7kg, we’re definitely better off not playing the agent lottery and should book a flight on JAL/ANA with a proper layover somewhere.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sandonkey
I just flew CTS-NRT-SEA yesterday using Jetstar for the CTS-NRT segment as a JL codeshare. I didn't check luggage, but my colleague did and she was able to check thru to SEA.

Also, we were able to access the CTS Sakura lounge after the people at the Sakura desk looked up and confirmed we had J ticket on NRT-SEA later that day.
That is because (guessing) it was 1 ticket & the JL codeshare. Not the JQ flight number.
vindor and Tokyoite like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
CTS-NRT segment as a JL code share.
that's the qualifier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.