Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Booking JAL flights, really want certain seats for kiddos. Using Chase Portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

I have a 2 questions, any help would be great. We plan to go to Kyoto for a month around March '19. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old traveling with us that are both high energy.

Our goal is to book the front middle 4 seats in the economy section, giving them room to play between my wife and I. Is there any way to see if these seats are available for a particular flight? We will be booking using the Chase portal with UR points, the airline there and back is JAL with the long leg being NRT to SEA on a 787. Their seat setup in economy is 2-4-2. I have picked flights on JAL's site and they don't give you the available seats, and I don't see them on the Chase portal. Should I call?

We plan to go to Tokyo a bit at the end of the trip so will be booking a mixed itinerary return from Tokyo. But we may want to change this, or change the date of return. Would it be better to book 2 trips in case we need to change the return flight? The price appears to be the same. Is it easy to make changes to a booking that was made through Chase?

Thank you again for any help.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
We'll move this to the JL forum for now, as that's whom you are flying ultimately.

Further changes may occur due to the "currency" being used.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by matrim33
I have a 2 questions, any help would be great. We plan to go to Kyoto for a month around March '19. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old traveling with us that are both high energy.

Our goal is to book the front middle 4 seats in the economy section, giving them room to play between my wife and I. Is there any way to see if these seats are available for a particular flight? We will be booking using the Chase portal with UR points, the airline there and back is JAL with the long leg being NRT to SEA on a 787. Their seat setup in economy is 2-4-2. I have picked flights on JAL's site and they don't give you the available seats, and I don't see them on the Chase portal. Should I call?

We plan to go to Tokyo a bit at the end of the trip so will be booking a mixed itinerary return from Tokyo. But we may want to change this, or change the date of return. Would it be better to book 2 trips in case we need to change the return flight? The price appears to be the same. Is it easy to make changes to a booking that was made through Chase?

Thank you again for any help.
hi.
in summary, JAL restricts advanced seat selections if you book in cheap economy fare classes. So, when trying to book on the portal, avoid these two booking classes, and you’ll be able to see the seat map and confirm the seats you want are available. Otherwise, you won’t be able to even see the seat map!
the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin (t-24) /airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin (t-24) /airport
decerbod likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.