Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SALON is BACK from Mar 1 2019!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
NRT-ORD earlier this month: 1 Salon, 1 Cristal, 2 Lanson. The Salon and Cristal went quick.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Menu is up for October: still at Salon outbound only [grump].

Slightly OT, but it does surprise me that things like champagne are return catered without an inviolable earmark on the inbound allocation. I think there are reports of the same on BA - seems like a good way to PO some high paying customers to say "we're out because the gluttons on the outbound necked the lot".
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by etiene

Slightly OT, but it does surprise me that things like champagne are return catered without an inviolable earmark on the inbound allocation. I think there are reports of the same on BA - seems like a good way to PO some high paying customers to say "we're out because the gluttons on the outbound necked the lot".
Yeah it's pretty crappy compared to my experience with Emirates and Singapore where it feels like they have an endless supply of their top tier stuff.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by phant0m
Yeah it's pretty crappy compared to my experience with Emirates and Singapore where it feels like they have an endless supply of their top tier stuff.
The challenge with Salon is the availability. Emirates serves more bottles of Dom Perignon a year than the House of Salon produces. The two options for JAL are keep a strict cap on the number of bottles, or have longer periods with no Salon on the menu.

They could of course switch to a mass market product like Dom P, and then not suffer from the lack of availability.
orbitmic and mhy like this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Sep 28, 2019 at 1:18 am
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by etiene
This is disappointing. I place the odds of the outbound flight not consuming "the" bottle of Salon to be zero.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Ignore.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:47 am

November menu was just updated with this notation for the salon.

*This champagne will be available until the end of December on London/Paris/New York/ Chicago/Los Angels/San Francisco departure flights.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:53 am

Currently flying jfk nrt. Only one bottle of salon loaded and they ran out maybe 90 minutes into the flight.

If I had realized there was only one bottle on board I probably would have savored that 4th glass a little more.

A picture of the menu confirming that salon is available until end of dec for certain flights to japan:

Tokyoite likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:03 pm

November menu also shows no more Cristal. Salon for ex Japan flights (presumably 1 bottle) and Lanson 2002. Whilst Cristal is not everyone’s taste, I view this as a pretty big downgrade, especially for flights to Japan where lanson seems to be the only option.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:48 am

Another data point. JL44 LHR-HND had (I think) 2 bottles. I appeared to be the only person drinking it in a full cabin. I had at least a bottle and was turning down re-fills an hour from Tokyo!
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by seandr
We had a full F cabin on JL62 earlier this month, i had 2 glass of Salon before switching to SAKE (really like the first sake which is sweeter and flavorful) and Mori Izo. I saw FA brought Cristal later but not sure if they ran out Salon or simply some passenger wants to try Cristal.

For Mori Izo if you enjoy, the in-flight shopping mag have a premium version for 5600Y (50+USD) which is for F passengers only. It must be good because I saw other two pax bought one each before taking off !!!. I end up bought one bottle as well after trying the regular Mori Izo.
Didn't see Mori selling on the in-flight shopping mag for LAX-NRT in F on 11/8.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stillmatic
Didn't see Mori selling on the in-flight shopping mag for LAX-NRT in F on 11/8.
Inflight shopping for November and December as usual has the special aged version of Moriizo that is only available for pre-order for JGC Premier and Diamond members. At 36.000 yen a bottle.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: JMB Metal/Diamond, ANA Diamond, HA Pualani Platinum and UA Premier.
3 bottles!

On a recent flight (JL001 SFo->HND), there were 3 bottles available! 1 was supposed to be for the outbound (JL002) but apparently no one drank it so we had 3 bottles. I drank 2.5 bottles during the flight as it seemed that no one else was drinking champange in F.
beckoa likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:24 am

Hnd lhr jl43 2 bottles of Salon yesterday.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Inflight shopping for November and December as usual has the special aged version of Moriizo that is only available for pre-order for JGC Premier and Diamond members. At 36.000 yen a bottle.
Thats a bit of a bummer, i was thinking about grabbing some Mori when flying home in F. Is it strictly pre-order only (as in, it won't even be loaded on board unless pre-ordered?) or, will they sell it if there is no pre-order demand from elites? Currently my flight next week only has me, my buddy, and another person in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.