JAL Domestic F, worth it?

Old Nov 16, 18, 7:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 171
JAL Domestic F, worth it?

In Japan for a month over the holidays, booking a couple of flights on the Japan Explorer's pass, but debating for the NRT<->FUK leg to spend a few hundred more for a ticket in F. Worth it for a 2 hour flight, or not really?
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JGC premier
Posts: 277
Not really in my view. Itís a quick flight less than 3 hours and the seat is a recliner. Meal served is simple, tastes fine but nothing special. Not worth big premium over class J esp. on a short route like this.
bakaneko85 is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,562
It is just 8000 yen. The food depends a bit on departure time, some of the meals are very nice, some are a bit simple. For the routes where it is an option I generally book it if I can Osaka would probably be an exception, but I have yet to fly to Osaka as opposed to taking the Shinkansen
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 10:20 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JGC premier
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
It is just 8000 yen. The food depends a bit on departure time, some of the meals are very nice, some are a bit simple. For the routes where it is an option I generally book it if I can Osaka would probably be an exception, but I have yet to fly to Osaka as opposed to taking the Shinkansen
it itís just the usual 8000 difference of course itís worth it but the OP mentioned a few hundred bucks difference (maybe heís comparing different fare buckets? Not sure), in which case then I donít think itís worth it.
bakaneko85 is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 10:30 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 171
I'm wondering where the 8000en difference is coming from myself. I'm comparing the discount Japan Explorer pass for tourist which is gonna clock in around $200 for r/t vs. a tokubin21 at 53,000en. I figure roughly $300 difference.
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 11:27 am
  #6  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,047
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
I'm wondering where the 8000en difference is coming from myself. I'm comparing the discount Japan Explorer pass for tourist which is gonna clock in around $200 for r/t vs. a tokubin21 at 53,000en. I figure roughly $300 difference.
Just request the upgrade at check-in to get the JPY8000 price
JALPak is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:17 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 171
Wow, that's an incredibly cheap upgrade from Y to F. Thanks for the tip.
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,562
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
I'm wondering where the 8000en difference is coming from myself. I'm comparing the discount Japan Explorer pass for tourist which is gonna clock in around $200 for r/t vs. a tokubin21 at 53,000en. I figure roughly $300 difference.
The general difference is 8000 yen, however you have the added point of moving from a booking class that can't confirm an F seat in advance to one that can. So that comes in to the equation as well. Which I did not include in my point...
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 4:39 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Japan
Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Posts: 1,506
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
In Japan for a month over the holidays, booking a couple of flights on the Japan Explorer's pass, but debating for the NRT<->FUK leg to spend a few hundred more for a ticket in F. Worth it for a 2 hour flight, or not really?
NRT-FUK ?
Really ? Which date are you flying ?
I couldn't find F service on NRT-FUK by random check.
Usually, NRT-FUK is operated by either of international configuration 73H and domesctiv configuration 73H.
Wasabi Tofu is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:03 pm
  #10  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,047
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
NRT-FUK ?
Really ? Which date are you flying ?
I couldn't find F service on NRT-FUK by random check.
Usually, NRT-FUK is operated by either of international configuration 73H and domesctiv configuration 73H.
even with 777 and an actual F cabin, JL doesnít offer F service on that route. So I assume he was talking about HND-FUK
JALPak is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 6:31 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 171
Oops, you are correct, JALPak, I meant HND - FUK
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Feb 4, 19, 10:19 pm
  #12  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 1,497
Just thought I'd add a data point on my recent First Class flight CTS-HND. Overall, I really enjoyed the flight and thought that First Class was worth it.

The First Class checkin at CTS was really nice, leading to a dedicated security that goes directly into the lounge. The First Class lounge itself was recently renovated and was beautiful, with a selection of 4 beers and a highball from the machines, plus Yamazaki 12 and other beverage options. During the flight, my seat was comfortable and service was excellent and friendly. The dinner meal was simple but very tasty. Great flight!

CTS

CTS JL First Class Lounge

Pochama likes this.
chrisny2 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 6:13 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by chrisny2 View Post
Just thought I'd add a data point on my recent First Class flight CTS-HND. Overall, I really enjoyed the flight and thought that First Class was worth it.

The First Class checkin at CTS was really nice, leading to a dedicated security that goes directly into the lounge. The First Class lounge itself was recently renovated and was beautiful, with a selection of 4 beers and a highball from the machines, plus Yamazaki 12 and other beverage options. During the flight, my seat was comfortable and service was excellent and friendly. The dinner meal was simple but very tasty. Great flight!
This experience matches mine almost exactly. The •8,000 upgrade in my opinion is worth it particularly as at the time, it earned F status credits into QFF. I had an excellent crew and seemed to be the only person drinking anything on a weekday afternoon, the crew were delighted that I liked their Sake recommendation, insisting I had some more. (I mean, it'd be rude not to!) From memory there were only 4 or 5 of us in the cabin.
chrisny2 and kaka like this.
pythonisman is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:17 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,544
Sam Chui has an excellent vLog of the JAL domestic F flying CTS-HND. Have a look and evaluate if it is "worth it" the 8000 yen ($70) it costs.
chrisny2 likes this.
Tokyoite is offline  
Old Feb 5, 19, 9:59 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: BOS
Programs: JMB
Posts: 84
Personally, I'd just spend the 1000jpy and get the class J upgrade if available. JEP+Class J would come out to 11,800jpy each way.
Not sure a JEP+8000jpy uprgade to F gives enough bang for the buck on a 1-2 hour flight, but it definitely is cheaper than booking it straight up.

It is something I'd like to try once to see how it really is though.
Jinxed_K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread