Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Etiquette for asking to switch seats in F on Long Haul flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etiquette for asking to switch seats in F on Long Haul flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by JALPak
Please don't talk across the aisle if that's what you meant by "light" communication
Light means= Hello, are you good, everything okay, I love you, you going to sleep. Its not a full-blown conversation.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:53 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
Light means= Hello, are you good, everything okay, I love you, you going to sleep. Its not a full-blown conversation.
if it’s loud enough to hear across the aisle then it’s loud enough to disturb other passengers
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks both for the reply.

Would you suggest Window and then middle isle directly across as a better option for "light" communication?
i would not. Whilst communicating between the two middle seats requires a small effort, communicating across the aisle a lot more so. The seat privacy is such that there is no way someone across the aisle will see you are trying to get their attention so you’ll need to get it through either volume or by walking there which you can do for any seat.

Just take the two two middle seats of either row and move the seat forward or use your hand across the divider to signal to your partner you are saying hi/interested in a quick chat. The two middle seats are very explicitly the only ones between which such communication is designed to be easy.

and I agree that given the cabin set up, anything 1a says to 1d without leaving their seat which can be heard from him/her will also be fully similarly audible by 2a and 2D. By contrast, discussions between two middle seat neighbours who bend forward to talk can be wholly private and not interfere with anyone else.
roberto99 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by orbitmic

i would not. Whilst communicating between the two middle seats requires a small effort, communicating across the aisle a lot more so. The seat privacy is such that there is no way someone across the aisle will see you are trying to get their attention so you’ll need to get it through either volume or by walking there which you can do for any seat.

Just take the two two middle seats of either row and move the seat forward or use your hand across the divider to signal to your partner you are saying hi/interested in a quick chat. The two middle seats are very explicitly the only ones between which such communication is designed to be easy.

and I agree that given the cabin set up, anything 1a says to 1d without leaving their seat which can be heard from him/her will also be fully similarly audible by 2a and 2D. By contrast, discussions between two middle seat neighbours who bend forward to talk can be wholly private and not interfere with anyone else.

We stuck with the 2 middle seats. I also used duct tape & placed it on my mouth to ensure absolute silence due to feedback given implied the 777 cabin is on parity of a library.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I also used duct tape & placed it on my mouth to ensure absolute silence due to feedback given implied the 777 cabin is on parity of a library.
Well, as you may have realised by now, this is not so much about 777s as it is about Japan. It is a country (planes included) where anything remotely loud is particularly frowned upon except possibly at the Tokyo fish market!

Well done on sticking to the two middle seats though, there is no way you'd inconvenience anyone discussing as much as you want whilst sitting there.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Well, as you may have realised by now, this is not so much about 777s as it is about Japan. It is a country (planes included) where anything remotely loud is particularly frowned upon except possibly at the Tokyo fish market!

Well done on sticking to the two middle seats though, there is no way you'd inconvenience anyone discussing as much as you want whilst sitting there.
Plus any pachinkon parlour and any game center in Akihabara.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Plus any pachinkon parlour and any game center in Akihabara.
Pachinko, if I may make a correction Panchikon would add to that juveniles' fun of removing "pa" from the sign written in katakana... they'd have to remove two characters instead of one!

(Really, I hate the noise from pachinko parlours too, although I can't comment on Akihabara considering I avoid going anywhere near there)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Pachinko, if I may make a correction Panchikon would add to that juveniles' fun of removing "pa" from the sign written in katakana... they'd have to remove two characters instead of one!

(Really, I hate the noise from pachinko parlours too, although I can't comment on Akihabara considering I avoid going anywhere near there)
I did not notice my auto correct had messed with the word. it is not too friendly on latin letter versions of Japanese words, so I should know to keep a more careful eye on it.

Akihabara does have its cool sides as well, and the game centers are actually fun to see and experience, for the brief time it is possible to stand the sound pressure level.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:56 pm

Middle seats were really nice for traveling pair. Would of been nice to look out the window during take-off. JAL service was exceptional & looking forward to the next trip in F.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.