FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Etiquette for asking to switch seats in F on Long Haul flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1940327-etiquette-asking-switch-seats-f-long-haul-flight.html)

ussvalor Nov 13, 2018 12:39 am

Etiquette for asking to switch seats in F on Long Haul flight

I just purchased two (2) Sky Suite seats in F on a long haul flight from New York to Tokyo with FF miles. Seat availability wasn't available at the time of booking because I wasn't booking my tickets on the Japan Airlines website. After I booked my tickets and received a Japan Airlines confirmation number, I logged onto the Japan Airlines website to assign my seats, I realized that the two seats I booked were the last two available and they aren't together. There are 8 seats in this First Class Cabin, in a two row 1-2-1 configuration. The middle two rows have one seat taken in 1G and one seat taken in 2D. Since both of these seats are middle aisle seats, it doesn't appear that 1G would be inconvenienced by moving to 2G nor 2D moving down to 1D.

I thought about arriving very early to the airport to ask the Japan Airlines representative checking in the first class cabin if they would mention something to one of these passengers about my situation.

Of course, I have no problem asking the passengers in one of those seats if they wouldn't mind moving once we boarded the aircraft but was wondering if this would be okay. This is my first trip to Japan and I don't want to insult anyone or make anyone (the passenger or the flight attendants) feel insulted or uncomfortable. The last thing I want to be perceived as is a rude/demanding foreigner. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jaimito Cartero Nov 13, 2018 12:47 am

I’d get there early and ask staff to help. Don’t get upset if you can’t do it...

kaka Nov 13, 2018 1:31 am

just ask. unless they are partnered with 1K or 2A, they would probably be ok.

If asking at checkin fails, board early and let the crew know. Most people would be fine - what is uncool is if you made your seat then are asked to move. Given that they are not losing an empty neighbour seat anyways they should be ok.

Tokyoite Nov 13, 2018 2:20 am

go early to check in and request the seats. the JAL staff will then politely ask either of the moved pax to take the new seats (2D->1D and vice versa etc.) worst case scenario, you can ask after boarding

GWFan Nov 13, 2018 7:36 pm

Also, 1A and 1K may show as unavailable, but JAL often blocks them until check-in for everyone except their elite flyers/VIPs. There may be more open seats than you realize.

jms_uk Nov 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by GWFan (Post 30427191)
Also, 1A and 1K may show as unavailable, but JAL often blocks them until check-in for everyone except their elite flyers/VIPs.

OWE can access those as well.

Often1 Nov 15, 2018 1:30 pm

There is no etiquette other than normal polite conduct. Presuming that your assigned seats are all that are left by the time you board, it is down to you to politely ask and to back away immediately if there is even a grimace. Some people could care less and others will care a great deal. Just hope that one person doesn't care and agrees.

roberto99 Nov 15, 2018 8:47 pm

In the US asking may be fine.

In Japan F it may be seen as intrusive. I wouldn't even ask the other pax or FA's.

BTW, there are 2 reasons not to be concerned with sitting together:

1.. Conversing is extremely difficult, even with the the barrier down. (I sat in these 2 seats with my nephew once)

2. Conversation would not be appreciated by the other pax in the cabin.. The seats are designed for relative privacy and comfort; not for socializing.

BTW, JL (as well as NH) F is pretty nice. Enjoy your trip!

Howard Long Nov 17, 2018 5:58 am

I was asked to change seats a few weeks ago LHR-HND in F, I was alone in 1D. It was a full cabin. There were two Japanese pax in 1A and 2A who wanted to sit adjacent to each other, so they asked me to swap my 1D for their 2A. I was delighted, as I prefer a window seat. They were delighted as they could sit next to each other. Lots of reciprocated bowing later, we were all happy.

The difference in my case is that all parties were benefitting. I am sure the other pax in the middle seats chose those seats to maximise the chance of not having someone next to them. In this case, I can’t see either single pax benefitting themselves, so it might be a harder sell. There’s not really any material benefit in my experience between row 1 or row 2 on JAL F. Perhaps row 1 is slightly better if you want to be served a minute or two before row 2, and possibly you get off first assuming a jet bridge comes to 1L (it’s not always). Equally row 1 suffers slightly more traffic than row 2.

In my situation, although the couple who wanted to sit next to each other couldn’t speak English, and my Japanese is probably worse than that (!) it was clear to me what they wanted. You could always ask crew to help translate.

One point to mention, I would board as soon as you can before the other pax get settled, they’re less likely to want to move once they’ve settled and decanted their stuff into the various storage and cubby holes.

Wingtipflyer1 Feb 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Boeing 777-300ER (773) middle F seats

Hello, I am flying on the

Boeing 777-300ER (773) seats 2D & 2G, can you at least wave hello to your seat mate. Or would you suggest one window, one middle as a better way to wink, wave, & bow to your travel companion?

JALPak Feb 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1 (Post 30833189)
Hello, I am flying on the

Boeing 777-300ER (773) seats 2D & 2G, can you at least wave hello to your seat mate. Or would you suggest one window, one middle as a better way to wink, wave, & bow to your travel companion?

DG if you want to talk without leaving your seats

roberto99 Feb 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30833210)
DG if you want to talk without leaving your seats

Having sat in those seats, I can attest that D-G conversation is very difficult, even with the barrier down.

JALPak Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99 (Post 30833238)
Having sat in those seats, I can attest that D-G conversation is very difficult, even with the barrier down.

not for me and you can slide your seat forward too

Wingtipflyer1 Feb 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30833440)

not for me and you can slide your seat forward too

Thanks both for the reply.

Would you suggest Window and then middle isle directly across as a better option for "light" communication?

JALPak Feb 28, 2019 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1 (Post 30833548)
Thanks both for the reply.

Would you suggest Window and then middle isle directly across as a better option for "light" communication?

Please don't talk across the aisle if that's what you meant by "light" communication