Wiki Posts
Search

JL First Class: mixing meal options?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
JL First Class: mixing meal options?

Will have my first class experience on JAL soon!! ORD- NRT.

I always prefer Japanese food over western, especially on a Japanese carrier. Though I do love caviar. I read no less than ten trip reports and also searched thru the forums but can’t seem to find an answer: am I allowed to mix Japanese/ Western options for food in F? E.g., caviar (western) to start, then back to Japanese dishes? J- W- J, or W-J-J-W?

I mean, ideally I want both Western and Japanese appetizers (or whatever you call the caviar round). Is that possible?

My last F was on CX and gotta say the food was meh.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I find it difficult to separate the Japanese entrees. Just ask for the entire Japanese set + some western dishes that you like.

They will accommodate you as long as the cabin is not full and there are extras available.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I find it difficult to separate the Japanese entrees. Just ask for the entire Japanese set + some western dishes that you like.

They will accommodate you as long as the cabin is not full and there are extras available.
Thanks! That’s the intention.

Too bad no more Salon. Sigh.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA
If you go with a western meal and ask for a bowl of rice to go with it, are they ok with that?
Old May 31, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Rebel54
If you go with a western meal and ask for a bowl of rice to go with it, are they ok with that?
That's perfectly fine. They steam the rice on board for the longer flights, it is not catered with the meals it belongs to according to the menu. So they have plenty to spare.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's perfectly fine. They steam the rice on board for the longer flights, it is not catered with the meals it belongs to according to the menu. So they have plenty to spare.
Thank you. I'm worried since I don't eat fish or anything "fishy" tasting or smelling I might be a bit hungry but if I can add a bit of rice that will help.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:54 pm

They will most probably accommodate any request. I've done it before. Mixing western and japanese is no problem, as long as they have stock.
You need rice with your ice cream, no worries.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Rebel54
Thank you. I'm worried since I don't eat fish or anything "fishy" tasting or smelling I might be a bit hungry but if I can add a bit of rice that will help.
Wow, and you're visiting Japan? Maybe just connecting.

As others have said, I've found the mix/match to be NO problem. Better yet, are you traveling with others? We were a family of four in F last summer, booked six pax total. My kids didn't want caviar, nor did one of the non-family passengers. I feasted. And washed it down with Salon, kids are teens so their allocation was mine. Truly one of our better flights, ever!

Remember to bring a small fan you can plug in, to deal with the 80+ cabin temp.

Enjoy! - Jamie
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Wow, and you're visiting Japan? Maybe just connecting.

As others have said, I've found the mix/match to be NO problem. Better yet, are you traveling with others? We were a family of four in F last summer, booked six pax total. My kids didn't want caviar, nor did one of the non-family passengers. I feasted. And washed it down with Salon, kids are teens so their allocation was mine. Truly one of our better flights, ever!

Remember to bring a small fan you can plug in, to deal with the 80+ cabin temp.

Enjoy! - Jamie
Thanks! I am fairly ok with warm cabins - I tend to run cold.

It is a pity Salon is no longer served by JAL.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:44 pm

From my experience, of 3 flights in F-Class JFK-NRT and JFK-HND, I never had a problem asking from both menus. I usually order Japanese meal, ask for caviar and also a Western entree, everyt time they were able to accommodate, even with 7 people in F-Class. Enjoy your flight and your experience.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:07 pm

I usually have the caviar for breakfast with a bottle of Blue Tea. Sets you up for the day!
MattEvan likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:52 am

I have gotten Japanese meal and requested for American full size caviar w no issues On two of my flights ex- hnd
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kaiotes
I have gotten Japanese meal and requested for American full size caviar w no issues On two of my flights ex- hnd
what makes Caviar AMERICAN?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Will have my first class experience on JAL soon!! ORD- NRT.

I always prefer Japanese food over western, especially on a Japanese carrier. Though I do love caviar. I read no less than ten trip reports and also searched thru the forums but can’t seem to find an answer: am I allowed to mix Japanese/ Western options for food in F? E.g., caviar (western) to start, then back to Japanese dishes? J- W- J, or W-J-J-W?

I mean, ideally I want both Western and Japanese appetizers (or whatever you call the caviar round). Is that possible?

My last F was on CX and gotta say the food was meh.
i thought i replied - maybe i did on another thread asking the same thing.

i always do the same thing as you - caviar and japanese meal. i think they cater caviar for everyone on board.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

what makes Caviar AMERICAN?
Calm down, I think he means 'Western' service. It's from the Western service menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.