JL First Class: mixing meal options?

Old May 31, 18, 7:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 492
JL First Class: mixing meal options?

Will have my first class experience on JAL soon!! ORD- NRT.

I always prefer Japanese food over western, especially on a Japanese carrier. Though I do love caviar. I read no less than ten trip reports and also searched thru the forums but canít seem to find an answer: am I allowed to mix Japanese/ Western options for food in F? E.g., caviar (western) to start, then back to Japanese dishes? J- W- J, or W-J-J-W?

I mean, ideally I want both Western and Japanese appetizers (or whatever you call the caviar round). Is that possible?

My last F was on CX and gotta say the food was meh.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old May 31, 18, 8:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,640
I find it difficult to separate the Japanese entrees. Just ask for the entire Japanese set + some western dishes that you like.

They will accommodate you as long as the cabin is not full and there are extras available.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Old May 31, 18, 8:59 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
I find it difficult to separate the Japanese entrees. Just ask for the entire Japanese set + some western dishes that you like.

They will accommodate you as long as the cabin is not full and there are extras available.
Thanks! Thatís the intention.

Too bad no more Salon. Sigh.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old May 31, 18, 9:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: AA
Posts: 82
If you go with a western meal and ask for a bowl of rice to go with it, are they ok with that?
Rebel54 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 18, 12:12 am
  #5  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,779
Originally Posted by Rebel54 View Post
If you go with a western meal and ask for a bowl of rice to go with it, are they ok with that?
That's perfectly fine. They steam the rice on board for the longer flights, it is not catered with the meals it belongs to according to the menu. So they have plenty to spare.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jun 1, 18, 9:46 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: AA
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That's perfectly fine. They steam the rice on board for the longer flights, it is not catered with the meals it belongs to according to the menu. So they have plenty to spare.
Thank you. I'm worried since I don't eat fish or anything "fishy" tasting or smelling I might be a bit hungry but if I can add a bit of rice that will help.
Rebel54 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 18, 11:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 129
They will most probably accommodate any request. I've done it before. Mixing western and japanese is no problem, as long as they have stock.
You need rice with your ice cream, no worries.
jgchiker is offline  
Old Jun 2, 18, 9:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,016
Originally Posted by Rebel54 View Post
Thank you. I'm worried since I don't eat fish or anything "fishy" tasting or smelling I might be a bit hungry but if I can add a bit of rice that will help.
Wow, and you're visiting Japan? Maybe just connecting.

As others have said, I've found the mix/match to be NO problem. Better yet, are you traveling with others? We were a family of four in F last summer, booked six pax total. My kids didn't want caviar, nor did one of the non-family passengers. I feasted. And washed it down with Salon, kids are teens so their allocation was mine. Truly one of our better flights, ever!

Remember to bring a small fan you can plug in, to deal with the 80+ cabin temp.

Enjoy! - Jamie
jamienbaker is offline  
Old Jun 2, 18, 1:24 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Wow, and you're visiting Japan? Maybe just connecting.

As others have said, I've found the mix/match to be NO problem. Better yet, are you traveling with others? We were a family of four in F last summer, booked six pax total. My kids didn't want caviar, nor did one of the non-family passengers. I feasted. And washed it down with Salon, kids are teens so their allocation was mine. Truly one of our better flights, ever!

Remember to bring a small fan you can plug in, to deal with the 80+ cabin temp.

Enjoy! - Jamie
Thanks! I am fairly ok with warm cabins - I tend to run cold.

It is a pity Salon is no longer served by JAL.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Jun 4, 18, 2:44 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 780
From my experience, of 3 flights in F-Class JFK-NRT and JFK-HND, I never had a problem asking from both menus. I usually order Japanese meal, ask for caviar and also a Western entree, everyt time they were able to accommodate, even with 7 people in F-Class. Enjoy your flight and your experience.

Cheers,

PedroNY
PedroNY is offline  
Old Jun 6, 18, 1:07 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,985
I usually have the caviar for breakfast with a bottle of Blue Tea. Sets you up for the day!
MattEvan likes this.
Greenpen is offline  
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:52 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,066
I have gotten Japanese meal and requested for American full size caviar w no issues On two of my flights ex- hnd
kaiotes is offline  
Old Jul 27, 18, 11:34 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 9,981
Originally Posted by kaiotes View Post
I have gotten Japanese meal and requested for American full size caviar w no issues On two of my flights ex- hnd
what makes Caviar AMERICAN?
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Jul 27, 18, 12:00 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Will have my first class experience on JAL soon!! ORD- NRT.

I always prefer Japanese food over western, especially on a Japanese carrier. Though I do love caviar. I read no less than ten trip reports and also searched thru the forums but canít seem to find an answer: am I allowed to mix Japanese/ Western options for food in F? E.g., caviar (western) to start, then back to Japanese dishes? J- W- J, or W-J-J-W?

I mean, ideally I want both Western and Japanese appetizers (or whatever you call the caviar round). Is that possible?

My last F was on CX and gotta say the food was meh.
i thought i replied - maybe i did on another thread asking the same thing.

i always do the same thing as you - caviar and japanese meal. i think they cater caviar for everyone on board.
kaka is offline  
Old Jul 28, 18, 12:55 pm
  #15  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Posts: 1,593
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post


what makes Caviar AMERICAN?
Calm down, I think he means 'Western' service. It's from the Western service menu.
caliform is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread