FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JL First Class: mixing meal options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1912069-jl-first-class-mixing-meal-options.html)

theOtherHolmes May 31, 2018 6:38 pm

JL First Class: mixing meal options?

Will have my first class experience on JAL soon!! ORD- NRT.

I always prefer Japanese food over western, especially on a Japanese carrier. Though I do love caviar. I read no less than ten trip reports and also searched thru the forums but can’t seem to find an answer: am I allowed to mix Japanese/ Western options for food in F? E.g., caviar (western) to start, then back to Japanese dishes? J- W- J, or W-J-J-W?

I mean, ideally I want both Western and Japanese appetizers (or whatever you call the caviar round). Is that possible?

My last F was on CX and gotta say the food was meh.

coolfish1103 May 31, 2018 7:44 pm

I find it difficult to separate the Japanese entrees. Just ask for the entire Japanese set + some western dishes that you like.

They will accommodate you as long as the cabin is not full and there are extras available.

theOtherHolmes May 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 (Post 29815455)
I find it difficult to separate the Japanese entrees. Just ask for the entire Japanese set + some western dishes that you like.

They will accommodate you as long as the cabin is not full and there are extras available.

Thanks! That’s the intention.

Too bad no more Salon. Sigh.

Rebel54 May 31, 2018 8:22 pm

If you go with a western meal and ask for a bowl of rice to go with it, are they ok with that?

CPH-Flyer May 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rebel54 (Post 29815553)
If you go with a western meal and ask for a bowl of rice to go with it, are they ok with that?

That's perfectly fine. They steam the rice on board for the longer flights, it is not catered with the meals it belongs to according to the menu. So they have plenty to spare.

Rebel54 Jun 1, 2018 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29815938)
That's perfectly fine. They steam the rice on board for the longer flights, it is not catered with the meals it belongs to according to the menu. So they have plenty to spare.

Thank you. I'm worried since I don't eat fish or anything "fishy" tasting or smelling I might be a bit hungry but if I can add a bit of rice that will help.

jgchiker Jun 1, 2018 10:54 pm

They will most probably accommodate any request. I've done it before. Mixing western and japanese is no problem, as long as they have stock.
You need rice with your ice cream, no worries.

jamienbaker Jun 2, 2018 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Rebel54 (Post 29819583)
Thank you. I'm worried since I don't eat fish or anything "fishy" tasting or smelling I might be a bit hungry but if I can add a bit of rice that will help.

Wow, and you're visiting Japan? Maybe just connecting.

As others have said, I've found the mix/match to be NO problem. Better yet, are you traveling with others? We were a family of four in F last summer, booked six pax total. My kids didn't want caviar, nor did one of the non-family passengers. I feasted. And washed it down with Salon, kids are teens so their allocation was mine. Truly one of our better flights, ever!

Remember to bring a small fan you can plug in, to deal with the 80+ cabin temp.

Enjoy! - Jamie

theOtherHolmes Jun 2, 2018 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 29820689)
Wow, and you're visiting Japan? Maybe just connecting.

As others have said, I've found the mix/match to be NO problem. Better yet, are you traveling with others? We were a family of four in F last summer, booked six pax total. My kids didn't want caviar, nor did one of the non-family passengers. I feasted. And washed it down with Salon, kids are teens so their allocation was mine. Truly one of our better flights, ever!

Remember to bring a small fan you can plug in, to deal with the 80+ cabin temp.

Enjoy! - Jamie

Thanks! I am fairly ok with warm cabins - I tend to run cold.

It is a pity Salon is no longer served by JAL.

PedroNY Jun 4, 2018 1:44 pm

From my experience, of 3 flights in F-Class JFK-NRT and JFK-HND, I never had a problem asking from both menus. I usually order Japanese meal, ask for caviar and also a Western entree, everyt time they were able to accommodate, even with 7 people in F-Class. Enjoy your flight and your experience.

Cheers,

PedroNY

Greenpen Jun 6, 2018 12:07 pm

I usually have the caviar for breakfast with a bottle of Blue Tea. Sets you up for the day!

kaiotes Jun 18, 2018 12:52 am

I have gotten Japanese meal and requested for American full size caviar w no issues On two of my flights ex- hnd

Flying Lawyer Jul 27, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes (Post 29877601)
I have gotten Japanese meal and requested for American full size caviar w no issues On two of my flights ex- hnd

what makes Caviar AMERICAN?

kaka Jul 27, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 29815292)
Will have my first class experience on JAL soon!! ORD- NRT.

I always prefer Japanese food over western, especially on a Japanese carrier. Though I do love caviar. I read no less than ten trip reports and also searched thru the forums but can’t seem to find an answer: am I allowed to mix Japanese/ Western options for food in F? E.g., caviar (western) to start, then back to Japanese dishes? J- W- J, or W-J-J-W?

I mean, ideally I want both Western and Japanese appetizers (or whatever you call the caviar round). Is that possible?

My last F was on CX and gotta say the food was meh.

i thought i replied - maybe i did on another thread asking the same thing.

i always do the same thing as you - caviar and japanese meal. i think they cater caviar for everyone on board.

caliform Jul 28, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 30019323)

what makes Caviar AMERICAN?

Calm down, I think he means 'Western' service. It's from the Western service menu.