Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by JALPak
SFO when you check in. It's a valid reason, e.g. I am meeting a friend at LAX and he is giving me some gifts which I have to put into my suitcases, I am meeting someone and I have to give him the wines I checked in, I am buying some cream from Kiehl's at SFO airside so I need to put them in my checked luggages before my NRT flight, etc.

But of course, if your flight is delayed and you missed JAL bag drop cut-off time, you will be responsible.
Great advice - thank you.
BTW, what is the JAL bag drop cut-off?
Also, alternatively, is 2 hr 40 min at NRT enough to recheck bags if we need to go that route (immigration, security, etc)?
Any chance of having JAL personnel meet us at gate and guide/speed us through this process quicker (FWIW, we are in F NRT-SYD).
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:10 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Great advice - thank you.
BTW, what is the JAL bag drop cut-off?
Also, alternatively, is 2 hr 40 min at NRT enough to recheck bags if we need to go that route (immigration, security, etc)?
Any chance of having JAL personnel meet us at gate and guide/speed us through this process quicker (FWIW, we are in F NRT-SYD).
45 min.
JAL will guide you through immigration and custom/security if you are a VIP or you are truly in a hurry and is about to miss your connection.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
45 min.
JAL will guide you through immigration and custom/security if you are a VIP or you are truly in a hurry and is about to miss your connection.
Thank you.
Will report back as to what happens.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
Am Oneworld Sapphire, flying BA First into PVG, then an 8hr wait (allowing me to pop into Shanghai), then JL Business to HND.

1. Do I need to collect my checked luggage in PVG? (think I read somewhere that PVG don't perform I:I interlining?)
2. If necessary, can I check my luggage in early (like 7 hrs early) at PVG for my onward JL flight?
3. Am paying 15k avios for my JL PVG-HND flight in 767/SS6. Worth it? (7500 avios economy is available)

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by EDIer
Am Oneworld Sapphire, flying BA First into PVG, then an 8hr wait (allowing me to pop into Shanghai), then JL Business to HND.

1. Do I need to collect my checked luggage in PVG? (think I read somewhere that PVG don't perform I:I interlining?)
2. If necessary, can I check my luggage in early (like 7 hrs early) at PVG for my onward JL flight?
3. Am paying 15k avios for my JL PVG-HND flight in 767/SS6. Worth it? (7500 avios economy is available)

Thanks!
​​​​​​As BA does not interline, you will have to reclaim your bags at PVG. There was a similar question a little while back, will JAL accept early check-in at PVG. The check in counter is open all day, but there was not answer to whether they would accept luggage in the morning for an evening flight. But there were some hints at storing luggage.

At that low number of miles, I would take business. Even if it is a short flight.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
Thank you CPH-Flyer!

A further (related) question. While I appreciate BA don't interline luggage, would JAL look favourably upon me as a Oneworld Sapphire *if* my preceding BA flight arrived late into PVG?

PS - was the following accurate or me dreaming?! (think I read somewhere that PVG don't perform I:I interlining?)

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:22 am

if I travel from CTS to HND, then about 4 hours wait in HND to HKG (CX first), will they check through from CTS to HKG (separate PNR)? thanks
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by EDIer
Thank you CPH-Flyer!

A further (related) question. While I appreciate BA don't interline luggage, would JAL look favourably upon me as a Oneworld Sapphire *if* my preceding BA flight arrived late into PVG?

PS - was the following accurate or me dreaming?! (think I read somewhere that PVG don't perform I:I interlining?)

Thanks!
I have always found JAL to be fairly helpful, also before reaching Diamond'hood. If they can help you, I am sure they will. But it is nothing something I would count on for certain. You are at an outstation, with less leeway.

From my memory PVG works like the US. International to international connections require full immigration and customs.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Flying NRT-JFK in F on JL. Would they interline to separate ticket on B6 on the next day (12 hours later)?

Also, if I booked a B6 ticket with no checked baggage allowance, would I be asked to pay at any time or not?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Flying NRT-JFK in F on JL. Would they interline to separate ticket on B6 on the next day (12 hours later)?

Also, if I booked a B6 ticket with no checked baggage allowance, would I be asked to pay at any time or not?
This policy only applies to oneworld carriers. Given your connection is on B6 on the next day with a separate booking and you have to pick up your baggage at JFK, I wouldn't expect JL to interline. Would B6 even accept your checked luggage a day before your flight?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Successfully interlined from JL to QR, separate reservations.

HND-BKK on JL Y
BKK-DOH on QR C

I had DOH-LAX a few hours after, but with a 13 hour layover at BKK, the DOH-LAX date became too far in the future for them to interline on that flight. QR staff at BKK took care of it, though.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
This policy only applies to oneworld carriers. Given your connection is on B6 on the next day with a separate booking and you have to pick up your baggage at JFK, I wouldn't expect JL to interline. Would B6 even accept your checked luggage a day before your flight?
I have an F award for NRT-JFK (AS) and need to get to BOS. I just called JAL and they said even if it was AA they wouldn't be able to check it through because of customs regulations; I know I have to pick up the bag at JFK but not if they can just put the next flight on the tag it's an easy handover right after luggage pickup rather than having to lug the bag all the way to T5/8 to recheck in.

Also, I'm nervous that the last AA flight wouldn't leave enough connection time from the JL flight. Also, I have B6 points I would like to use. If I were to take the 5am flight JFK-BOS and they refuse to check through, is there anywhere I could go in the airport or around the airport to wait for the counter to open (I don't think I'll be tired enough to want a hotel room because I will have just slept on the JL flight)?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:21 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
JL > AA Interline?

Anyone have experience starting in Asia with JL and interlining a separate PNR on AA?
Looking at TPE-NRT-BOS(JL)-DCA(AA)
Obnoxiously raises the price if I book together, but can save ~$500 by breaking it at BOS. Anyone have issues with JL routing all the way through with two PNR's?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thezipper
Anyone have experience starting in Asia with JL and interlining a separate PNR on AA?
Looking at TPE-NRT-BOS(JL)-DCA(AA)
Obnoxiously raises the price if I book together, but can save ~$500 by breaking it at BOS. Anyone have issues with JL routing all the way through with two PNR's?

Thanks!
JL will tag your bags all the way to DCA. But as you will anyway have to reclaim your luggage at point of entry to the US, it is of limited benefit for your routing. Please note an interline of your luggage does not protect your connection, so leave ample time to go through immigration and customs and Boston.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:15 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Gotcha, but it would help at reclaim / recheck so we dont have to schlep 4 suitcases through BOS. Arrive at 5p. cxn I'm looking at leaves at 8. Enuff time or should I go for the 9p?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.