Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nort
Thank you. Alternatively, will JL agents in LAX or HND be able to retag the bags from SIN to KUL (on an MH ticket)?
Doubtful. You need to convince AA or do it in Changi.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:52 pm

I'm having a similar situation:

1st PNR: HND - SIN with JL
2nd PNR: SIN - KUL with MH

Transit time of 2 hours. I believe i can make it if i don't need to clear immigration and pick up baggage. Will JL transfer my luggage straight to KUL?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KTAN89
I'm having a similar situation:

1st PNR: HND - SIN with JL
2nd PNR: SIN - KUL with MH

Transit time of 2 hours. I believe i can make it if i don't need to clear immigration and pick up baggage. Will JL transfer my luggage straight to KUL?
JAL will check your luggage through to MH, no problem. 2 hours is fine for a transit in Singapore. Transit security is at the departure gate, so you'd only need to reach that in reasonable time for departure, so even a quite heavy delay will not see you caught in a central security check.
KTAN89 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL will check your luggage through to MH, no problem. 2 hours is fine for a transit in Singapore. Transit security is at the departure gate, so you'd only need to reach that in reasonable time for departure, so even a quite heavy delay will not see you caught in a central security check.
That's a relief, thank you!

To quickly clarify, JL lands at terminal 1 and MH departure is at terminal 2. I can transfer terminals airside at Changi and then i look for a MH transit counter to check in and get a boarding pass?.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: QF Plat, SQ*G, HH Diamond, ALL Plat, IHG Plat

To quickly clarify, JL lands at terminal 1 and MH departure is at terminal 2. I can transfer terminals airside at Changi and then i look for a MH transit counter to check in and get a boarding pass?.
JAL should be able to check you into the MH flight and hand you both boarding passes before you leave HND. They will check through any luggage also. No need to use the transit counter, just hand the JL check-in agent both itineraries at HND.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Doubtful. You need to convince AA or do it in Changi.
That's a bummer, AA won't do it unless it's on the same PNR, even for their own flights.

Thanks for the information though.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold

Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are connected airside at Changi. The three buildings form a U-shape with T1 in the centre. Depending on luck, the arrival gate and departure gate might even be next to each other.
kiwimagic and KTAN89 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I wasn't sure where to put this question so apologies if this isn't the right place. With all of this downtime, I (optimistically) rebooked our cancelled trip for summer 2021. I can't for the life of me get the AA award tool (or agent) to book me on ITM HND ORD so I'm giving up and booking them separately (understanding the risks).

Will I be able to check my bag through to ORD in this scenario?
  • ITM to HND on JL metal (JL cash ticket)
  • HND to ORD on JL metal (AA award ticket)
If I have to grab my bag at HND, do I bring it over to the international terminal myself or I can hand it over at the domestic terminal for my international flight? Would 3 hours be a comfortable connection for that?

Thank you!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tetudc
I wasn't sure where to put this question so apologies if this isn't the right place. With all of this downtime, I (optimistically) rebooked our cancelled trip for summer 2021. I can't for the life of me get the AA award tool (or agent) to book me on ITM HND ORD so I'm giving up and booking them separately (understanding the risks).

Will I be able to check my bag through to ORD in this scenario?
  • ITM to HND on JL metal (JL cash ticket)
  • HND to ORD on JL metal (AA award ticket)
If I have to grab my bag at HND, do I bring it over to the international terminal myself or I can hand it over at the domestic terminal for my international flight? Would 3 hours be a comfortable connection for that?

Thank you!
JAL will check the bag through, and three hours should be reasonably comfortable. Delays are not that common on domestic Japan flights.
tetudc likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC G, VS G, Marriot Plat
Similar issue to the above, being optimistic for an Avios funded trip in Easter 2021. Wanting to travel Manila to Haneda (arriving at 04:45) and then to Heathrow same day at 11:20 (there is an early flight at 08:50 but wanting some buffer) both on JAL metal. Odd tax/charges make this way cheaper to book as separate bookings, but will JAL be able to check my bags all the way through from Manila or will I have to collect bags and re-check in Haneda as on different PNRs.

Appreciate any advice from JAL forum experts.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spanners
Similar issue to the above, being optimistic for an Avios funded trip in Easter 2021. Wanting to travel Manila to Haneda (arriving at 04:45) and then to Heathrow same day at 11:20 (there is an early flight at 08:50 but wanting some buffer) both on JAL metal. Odd tax/charges make this way cheaper to book as separate bookings, but will JAL be able to check my bags all the way through from Manila or will I have to collect bags and re-check in Haneda as on different PNRs.

Appreciate any advice from JAL forum experts.
They can check your luggage through.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:11 am

Just reading the comments from this thread, I have got an alternative answer from JAL customer service.

I am due to fly FRA-NRT in March on 1 PNR number and would like to attach another PNR booking (not yet booked) LHR-FRA avios booking from BA to avoid having to collect bags, exit and then check in again. I called JAL and they state this would not be possible? Am I missing something here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:29 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sbp88
Just reading the comments from this thread, I have got an alternative answer from JAL customer service.

I am due to fly FRA-NRT in March on 1 PNR number and would like to attach another PNR booking (not yet booked) LHR-FRA avios booking from BA to avoid having to collect bags, exit and then check in again. I called JAL and they state this would not be possible? Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
you need to check with BA not JL whether they would let you interline your baggage with 2 different PNRs.
sbp88 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbp88

Thanks!
Originally Posted by JALPak
you need to check with BA not JL whether they would let you interline your baggage with 2 different PNRs.
That has a very simple answer. BA does not check luggage through across separate tickets.

You would need to get JAL, or who issued your ticket, to amend it from being FRA-NRT to being LHR-FRA-NRT. With the change fees that encurs.

​​​​​​

​​​​​
sbp88 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:00 am

Many thanks JALPak and CPH-Flyer for the prompt response!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.