Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by rivlinm
Interesting. I have gotten around bag fees before by having a bag tag. Was that luck?

I always assumed the fee is paid to get you a bag tag. Once you have that, they assume payment is made. No?
If it is one ticket issued by another carrier than the one supposed to collect the fee, then the fee is not applicable as it will run by the issuing carrier's rules. So if you have a JAL ticket covering the B6 flight, no problem.

But separate tickets, the carrier will normally want their fees. But of course you can get lucky.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by shadpuff
I've booked a MEL-NRT-ORD business ticket on JAL, with the idea of connecting (2.5h connection time) onto an economy AA flight ORD-ATW that I had purchased using miles -- so two separate PNRs.

I know I need to pick bags up in customs, but given I am moving 3x bags and the limit at 70lbs, do you think JAL will allow me to tag the bags to ATW if I show them the separate PNR? Two phone calls to both JAL and AA reps seems to all say no, they can't be tagged, but this forum seems to suggest otherwise. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Even if JAL checks you through, I doubt that will excuse you for the bag fee.

You will need to reclaim the bag for customs clearance when entering the US, and the hand it off to B6 before proceeding. Either there, or at the gate, your bag fee will most likely be collected.
Interesting. I have gotten around bag fees before by having a bag tag. Was that luck?

I always assumed the fee is paid to get you a bag tag. Once you have that, they assume payment is made. No?
In case anyone was wondering how this turned out.... we showed up with 6x bags, all 32kg, two of the bags being larger bike bags. We were flying paid biz tickets on JAL MEL-ORD, and then AA economy ORD-ATW using miles with separate PNRs. The reason for the large amount of bags was a move. When I showed up at JAL, the initial ticket agent looked at my AA tickets and said it couldn't be tagged to ATW. I then mentioned that I spoke with reps from JAL, and then said it should be able to be completed -- and that if this was the case I would be literally paying hundreds of dollars to recheck all these bags. I asked for a manager, who then said that YES, they can check it all the way through (with a pick up ORD obviously for customs).

JAL's business baggage limit is generous (3x 32kg bags each), but I was worried that my third bag, which was a "sports bag", would have a weight restriction. This was not the case, but we did have to pay an extra $200 per bag based on the size -- which I expected. I asked for a receipt in case I needed to show it in ORD, and on the ticket it did show the bag fee was paid, but only to ORD. Shockingly, I was told by the manager that although we were tagged all the way to ATW, that AA would likely charge us again for all the bags and extra for the bike bags once we got to ORD. I was a bit surprised, but shrugged it off at the time.

Once we got to ORD, we picked up our bags, and simply dropped them at the AA recheck counter before leaving the international terminal. No one said a word regarding any fees, just scanned the tags and off we went. A perfect end to an experience living abroad. Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That's a very nice outcome. Fortunately AA was being very practical about it.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:42 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's a very nice outcome. Fortunately AA was being very practical about it.
hopefully they will be as practical when they ask JL for the baggage fees that they would have charged OP LOL
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Do they really split or distribute portions for bag fees among multiple carriers?

I just assumed whomever charged it, kept it. Hence my thinking, once you have a bag tag, you have a free ride to the final city listed, regardless of the carriers or separate tickets involved.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they really split or distribute portions for bag fees among multiple carriers?

I just assumed whomever charged it, kept it. Hence my thinking, once you have a bag tag, you have a free ride to the final city listed, regardless of the carriers or separate tickets involved.
I know from threads in the BA forum that BA will collect the bagage fees for HBO fares where other carriers checks the luggage through.

If JAL collects fees as in the example above, that is not for splitting. That is for JAL only. AA gets nothing, and would be in their full right to collect them. And I am actually surprised they did not.

JAL does not collect the nickel and dime fees for the first piece, only for over size and over weight.
​​​​​​
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:33 am

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but can't find an answer on my searches. Would I be able to interline with AC (I saw a reference to this in this thread) even though they're not oneworld? Flying AC DEN-YVR (Y) then JL YVR-NRT-TPE (J) on separate PNRs. Would I be able to check bags all the way DEN-TPE?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BizClsDreaming
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but can't find an answer on my searches. Would I be able to interline with AC (I saw a reference to this in this thread) even though they're not oneworld? Flying AC DEN-YVR (Y) then JL YVR-NRT-TPE (J) on separate PNRs. Would I be able to check bags all the way DEN-TPE?
That's a question for AC forum. It's up to them whether to through check your luggages at DEN.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
That's a question for AC forum. It's up to them whether to through check your luggages at DEN.
Good point - thanks. I'll check there.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
I am an OW Emerald traveling with family (+3) and am considering booking a JAL flight from GMP to HND to link up with an AA flight from HND to LAX. The trips will have separate PNRs. I am correct that I should be able to get the GMP check-in personnel to check the bags through to LAX without a problem?

This is important because we would only have 2hrs and 15 minutes to make our connection at HND. I believe JAL flights from Korea land at the Intl terminal and AA flights depart from there, so should enough time, but if we land at another terminal and have to deal with bags I don't think it will be enough time.

Thanks for any info/advice!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BillBurn
I am an OW Emerald traveling with family (+3) and am considering booking a JAL flight from GMP to HND to link up with an AA flight from HND to LAX. The trips will have separate PNRs. I am correct that I should be able to get the GMP check-in personnel to check the bags through to LAX without a problem?

This is important because we would only have 2hrs and 15 minutes to make our connection at HND. I believe JAL flights from Korea land at the Intl terminal and AA flights depart from there, so should enough time, but if we land at another terminal and have to deal with bags I don't think it will be enough time.

Thanks for any info/advice!
you will be fine, there’s no terminal change.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Thanks JALPak!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: JGC premier
Does JAL also interline to OW partner coded EK flight? Planning to fly TYO - SYD and connecting via a separate QF coded EK operated flight SYD-CHC. Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bakaneko85
Does JAL also interline to OW partner coded EK flight? Planning to fly TYO - SYD and connecting via a separate QF coded EK operated flight SYD-CHC. Thanks
yes
bakaneko85 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

just want to confirm that JAL is still friendly for through check-in on different PNR, but with both legs on their own metal?

i m considering booking a flight that is SYD-NRT and NRT-USA (both JAL metal) but have to ticket these award flights separately due to the Aadvantage third region rule.

I have no problem paying the 2x award miles but I believe because they are separate bookings, they will have separate PNR

The two flights only have 1h layover transit time at NRT which fulfill MCT, but if i dont get to check-through bags then i am essentially toast..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.