Search

JAL lounges in SFO and HND?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
JAL lounges in SFO and HND?

How are the JAL lounges in SFO and HND?

I've heard the SFO lounge is kinda meh. Don't know anything about the HND one.

Next week I'm flying from SEA to BKK on a JAL award redemption in First (SEA-SFO leg on AS). We will have a connection in SFO around 4 hours - we'll be there roughly 9 pm to midnight. Our lounge options there include JAL, Delta and Amex Centurion. I'm in the Centurion lounge there frequently so I know what to expect there (it's pretty good, although often pretty crowded). IME the SFO Delta lounge is pretty decent, too. Haven't been in the JAL lounge - how would it stack up to the others?

In HND, we'll arrive early (5 am) and have about 5 hours there before connecting onward to BKK (seats in Business on that leg, but I assume we qualify for First-level benefits). I'm sure we would like to grab a shower there, and hang out somewhere. How is the JAL lounge there in HND? Any others there better?

Any other advice/recommendations? We have flirted with the idea of making a quick run into Tokyo (no specific destination), and I bet we could probably pull it off, but I know I'd be nervous so I suspect we will just hang out in the airport.

Your thoughts? Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
How are the JAL lounges in SFO and HND?

I've heard the SFO lounge is kinda meh. Don't know anything about the HND one.

Next week I'm flying from SEA to BKK on a JAL award redemption in First (SEA-SFO leg on AS). We will have a connection in SFO around 4 hours - we'll be there roughly 9 pm to midnight. Our lounge options there include JAL, Delta and Amex Centurion. I'm in the Centurion lounge there frequently so I know what to expect there (it's pretty good, although often pretty crowded). IME the SFO Delta lounge is pretty decent, too. Haven't been in the JAL lounge - how would it stack up to the others?

In HND, we'll arrive early (5 am) and have about 5 hours there before connecting onward to BKK (seats in Business on that leg, but I assume we qualify for First-level benefits). I'm sure we would like to grab a shower there, and hang out somewhere. How is the JAL lounge there in HND? Any others there better?

Any other advice/recommendations? We have flirted with the idea of making a quick run into Tokyo (no specific destination), and I bet we could probably pull it off, but I know I'd be nervous so I suspect we will just hang out in the airport.

Your thoughts? Thanks!
Strictly speaking by the Oneworld rules you are connecting from a long haul flight to a long haul flight (HND-BKK is more than 5 hours) so your departing flight class decides your lounge. However there are enough reports that if you bring your F boarding pass they will let you in to the F lounge.

The JAL lounge in Haneda is pretty nice, for breakfast there are made to order galettes (buckwheat pancakes with ham, cheese and egg), and a fairly good spread in the F lounge. The CX lounge has a very good noodle bar (J lounge) but I am not sure when it opens.

You could make a trip in to town, it is fairly short. But nothing much of interest will be open at that time, but you can enjoy a stroll through the city and some food from a 24H options. I would stay at the airport that time of day if it was me.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:55 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Strictly speaking by the Oneworld rules you are connecting from a long haul flight to a long haul flight (HND-BKK is more than 5 hours) so your departing flight class decides your lounge. However there are enough reports that if you bring your F boarding pass they will let you in to the F lounge.

The JAL lounge in Haneda is pretty nice, for breakfast there are made to order galettes (buckwheat pancakes with ham, cheese and egg), and a fairly good spread in the F lounge. The CX lounge has a very good noodle bar (J lounge) but I am not sure when it opens.

You could make a trip in to town, it is fairly short. But nothing much of interest will be open at that time, but you can enjoy a stroll through the city and some food from a 24H options. I would stay at the airport that time of day if it was me.
But the F lounge won't be open when he lands at 5am
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

Yeah, given the early hour, it doesn't look like it's worthwhile to squeeze in a quick trip into the city. I think just relaxing at the airport will win out.

So, as passengers on a Oneworld carrier, we should have access to other Oneworld lounges (eg CX)? I hadn't considered that...

We're traveling on a single award ticket, for which paid the F points, there's just no F cabin on the last leg from HND-BKK. I assumed we would qualify for F lounges based on that...not so much?

What are our best options for a shower there in HND? Since we'll have plenty of time, I figure we might as well freshen up.

Many thanks again for your always helpful responses!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:50 pm

Definitely not an expert here, but I've received enough help on Flyertalk before that I'd like to contribute back.

The JL F lounge in SFO is pretty bad in that it's literally just a separate little room off the main business lounge. Was there July 2015 and don't remember there being anything other than about 8 chairs/sofas. You bring in whatever refreshment from the outside main business lounge.

I like the JL F lounge HND. It think it is a great lounge with lots of different sections. Good food and alcohol selection. Cool library-like section. There are nice shower facilities in the JL F lounge. The only thing it doesn't have going for it compared to JL F lounge in NRT is the sushi. The toro sushi at NRT is awesome!

Have a great trip! I would also advise just staying at the airport for the short amount of time you have there. The only other thing to advise you of is that if you go through customs, the shops outside in HND airport are not open until 9-9:30am.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks again - very helpful info so far. Some follow-up questions...

Originally Posted by TravelBug1314
The JL F lounge in SFO is pretty bad in that it's literally just a separate little room off the main business lounge. Was there July 2015 and don't remember there being anything other than about 8 chairs/sofas. You bring in whatever refreshment from the outside main business lounge.
OK, so clearly the JAL F lounge in HND isn't any better than the JAL business lounge in HND. That begs the question, how's the JAL business lounge in HND?

...There are nice shower facilities in the JL F lounge. The only thing it doesn't have going for it compared to JL F lounge in NRT is the sushi...
Originally Posted by JALPak
But the F lounge won't be open when he lands at 5am
OK, so...what time does the JAL F lounge open? For that matter, what time does the JAL Business lounge open?

We won't need to jump into the shower as soon as we land. We will be there for 4+ hours. Between 5 am and 10 am, what are my best options for a shower in HND given that I'll be holding a JAL boarding pass (having just come off a JAL F flight, headed for a JAL C seat later that morning)?

Would I have access to the CX lounges? If so, what time do they open?

...I would also advise just staying at the airport for the short amount of time you have there. The only other thing to advise you of is that if you go through customs, the shops outside in HND airport are not open until 9-9:30am.
Yeah, I've shelved the crazy idea of popping into the city for an hour. Weather could easily be pretty crummy, too: Typhoon Chaba may be barreling through Japan when I'm in HND, so we will probably want to stay inside where it's dry and comfy. Good to know the shops won't start opening up until later in the morning.

Also, with the typhoon (hopefully just brushing by at a distance with little disruption) there's a chance I might be spending more time in the airport than originally planned - so good to know my options ahead of time.

Thanks again for the tips!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:40 pm

OK, so clearly the JAL F lounge in HND isn't any better than the JAL business lounge in HND.
Re-read what he posted. He clearly didn't say that.

I have a feeling you are making it way more complicated than it should be and you sound a bit stressed out in your posts. Traveling in F should be a relaxing experience. Just relax and enjoy the flight and lounge. It's not like you have that many options at SFO and HND. You can go to oneworld.com to see all the lounges available if you insist on planning everything ahead of time.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: Lots
Many thanks again - very helpful info so far. Some follow-up questions...

OK, so clearly the JAL F lounge in HND isn't any better than the JAL business lounge in HND. That begs the question, how's the JAL business lounge in HND?

OK, so...what time does the JAL F lounge open? For that matter, what time does the JAL Business lounge open?

We won't need to jump into the shower as soon as we land. We will be there for 4+ hours. Between 5 am and 10 am, what are my best options for a shower in HND given that I'll be holding a JAL boarding pass (having just come off a JAL F flight, headed for a JAL C seat later that morning)?

Would I have access to the CX lounges? If so, what time do they open?

Yeah, I've shelved the crazy idea of popping into the city for an hour. Weather could easily be pretty crummy, too: Typhoon Chaba may be barreling through Japan when I'm in HND, so we will probably want to stay inside where it's dry and comfy. Good to know the shops won't start opening up until later in the morning.

Also, with the typhoon (hopefully just brushing by at a distance with little disruption) there's a chance I might be spending more time in the airport than originally planned - so good to know my options ahead of time.

Thanks again for the tips!
Just to clarify TraveligBug1314 was referring to the lounge in SFO when (s)he mentioned it is a little room off of the main lounge (which is nothing to get excited about either). The F room consists of about 12 or so chairs against the wall that people try to catch a quick snooze prior to the flight. All food / beverage (and there's not much) is out in the Business Lounge.

I personally think the AmEx Lounge and DL Sky Club at SFO are incredibly over rated but they are vastly preferable to the JL lounge (and maybe it would be late enough that they'll have removed the pho station at the DL lounge so you won't smell like grease after leaving.) Keep in mind the international gates are where the JL flight takes off are not connected behind security so you would have to clear security two extra times to access either the Centurion Lounge or Sky Club and you won't have Pre-Check. Is it worth it? Maybe - the JL lounge really is that bad. Also, double check one-world access rules - you may have access to the CX lounge in SFO due to your F ticket - it closes about an hour or so prior to boarding for JL but I'd make that my primary choice of all the options you mentioned.

At HND the Business Lounge should be open when you land. I took this flight a few months ago and went to the Business Lounge for an hour or so, had a couple glasses of champers and then headed to the First lounge which I thought was very nice (especially the library art in the back which was deserted). I prefer it to the lounge in NRT. There was only one other person in the Business Lounge that early so you shouldn't have any issues getting a shower, or wait until the F lounge opens up about an hour later.

Enjoy! The service on JL F is great (although it can be a bit overwhelming - I took a nap and woke up to hit the loo - when I came out the door still half asleep there were three FAs swarming me offering food, pajamas, drink, etc.)
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The Sakura Lounge (business) opens at 04:30, the First Class Lounge opens at 06:00, and if you want to try the Cathay lounge it opens at 07:30.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
SFO - if you want to shower, the admirals club in T2 is your best bet. Closes around midnight (the amex lounge should be closed by then). The lounge options aren't great but the admirals club is quiet at that hour and reasonably nice in comparison.Then I would head to the CX lounge. should stay open until 1 am (depends on the departure time of the last HKG flight which does change due to daylight savings). The JAL lounge at SFO is very disappointing. A place to sit but don't plan to spend more time that you need.

In Tokyo - if it's not raining (you mentioned a typhoon) head into the Tsukiji fish market. I would take the monorail to hanamatscho station (last stop) and take a taxi the rest of the way. A nice morning activity.

Haneda - the JAL first lounge is great. Nice food and drink selection. Massages and shoeshines during certain hours. If they don't let you into that lounge, the CX business lounge would be my next recommendation over the JAL business lounges. Different feels, the JAL lounge is a bit more bright (the red room at the back is a bit more relaxed, but still feels more like a museum. The Cathay lounge had a more relaxed feel. Perhaps eat, drink, shower and get a massage at the JAL lounge and then spend some time in the Cathay lounge to unwind.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ericcheung
SFO - if you want to shower, the admirals club in T2 is your best bet. Closes around midnight (the amex lounge should be closed by then). The lounge options aren't great but the admirals club is quiet at that hour and reasonably nice in comparison.
OP won't have access to AC at SFO.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
OP won't have access to AC at SFO.
Thanks, but we won't be looking for a shower at SFO (it's just a short hop from home). In HND, more likely.

I don't think we will attempt the fish market on this trip - my understanding is that it requires getting there even earlier than we would be able to make it, and we are going to want to relax rather than try and squeeze things into the day (we'll do that on an actual trip to Japan when we have time).

Thanks for all the details below, all very helpful, it's much appreciated - I think that should cover us for this flight (next I'll be exploring my options for the return flights on CX, over in the CX forum - I think that will be a lot simpler).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.