FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL lounges in SFO and HND?
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:44 pm
IggySD

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Many thanks again - very helpful info so far. Some follow-up questions...

OK, so clearly the JAL F lounge in HND isn't any better than the JAL business lounge in HND. That begs the question, how's the JAL business lounge in HND?

OK, so...what time does the JAL F lounge open? For that matter, what time does the JAL Business lounge open?

We won't need to jump into the shower as soon as we land. We will be there for 4+ hours. Between 5 am and 10 am, what are my best options for a shower in HND given that I'll be holding a JAL boarding pass (having just come off a JAL F flight, headed for a JAL C seat later that morning)?

Would I have access to the CX lounges? If so, what time do they open?

Yeah, I've shelved the crazy idea of popping into the city for an hour. Weather could easily be pretty crummy, too: Typhoon Chaba may be barreling through Japan when I'm in HND, so we will probably want to stay inside where it's dry and comfy. Good to know the shops won't start opening up until later in the morning.

Also, with the typhoon (hopefully just brushing by at a distance with little disruption) there's a chance I might be spending more time in the airport than originally planned - so good to know my options ahead of time.

Thanks again for the tips!
Just to clarify TraveligBug1314 was referring to the lounge in SFO when (s)he mentioned it is a little room off of the main lounge (which is nothing to get excited about either). The F room consists of about 12 or so chairs against the wall that people try to catch a quick snooze prior to the flight. All food / beverage (and there's not much) is out in the Business Lounge.

I personally think the AmEx Lounge and DL Sky Club at SFO are incredibly over rated but they are vastly preferable to the JL lounge (and maybe it would be late enough that they'll have removed the pho station at the DL lounge so you won't smell like grease after leaving.) Keep in mind the international gates are where the JL flight takes off are not connected behind security so you would have to clear security two extra times to access either the Centurion Lounge or Sky Club and you won't have Pre-Check. Is it worth it? Maybe - the JL lounge really is that bad. Also, double check one-world access rules - you may have access to the CX lounge in SFO due to your F ticket - it closes about an hour or so prior to boarding for JL but I'd make that my primary choice of all the options you mentioned.

At HND the Business Lounge should be open when you land. I took this flight a few months ago and went to the Business Lounge for an hour or so, had a couple glasses of champers and then headed to the First lounge which I thought was very nice (especially the library art in the back which was deserted). I prefer it to the lounge in NRT. There was only one other person in the Business Lounge that early so you shouldn't have any issues getting a shower, or wait until the F lounge opens up about an hour later.

Enjoy! The service on JL F is great (although it can be a bit overwhelming - I took a nap and woke up to hit the loo - when I came out the door still half asleep there were three FAs swarming me offering food, pajamas, drink, etc.)