Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - I will never travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:07 am

Multiple friends and family have flown JL biz and F classes on points, all have raved about their experiences. Recently, a family of 4 traveling with kid and elderly parents, and said it was their best Biz class flight ever. FWIW, they are neither Japanese nor American. Myself as a non-Japanese traveled to and through Japan on many occasions, always experienced the most hospitable interaction with Japanese.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
I have to agree that I've had great service on both JAL and ANA. I also work for a Japanese company, so I do think understanding the cultural differences plays a part.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I have to say, I've flown JAL and ANA both multiple times, revenue tickets and award tickets. F, C, and Y... never ever though have seen any bit of a service difference based on how I paid for my ticket. Now, I'm not going to say that Japan isn't without it's quirks, and I've been very openly critical in other threads of a lot of the crap that foreigners put up who live here but even as critical as I can be, this thread comes across quite ridiculous. As you can see from others' responses, your experience seems to be extremely isolated and highly atypical of JAL (or ANA for that matter). I do think some of their business decisions are heavily skewed toward appealing to Japanese tastes, but I've certainly never seen or experienced the FA's being openly discriminatory on the plane or off for that matter. (I have met quite a few at bars in Tokyo as well and many are quite happy to chat with or have a few drinks with foreigners)

If you feel so strongly, then no worries, don't fly JAL... but I would be willing to wager a few rounds that you'd be hard pressed to find many people who agree that they openly discriminate based on skin tone or method of payment.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
First World issues

I think this is a first world issue moderator and should not be in this forum? Could you kindly review and get it out of here? Many thanks. Now, where were we, oh yes....third world debt.....
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:02 pm

Gaijin who flew JAL business and had outstanding, attentive service. Absolutely wonderful experience.

The flight was nonrev, paid for with AA miles.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by chilba
I am done with JAL at any cost,

I travel economy on KLM than JAL First
That is very good news for all of us, thanks for your kind attitude.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UNITED 1K / AA EXEC
seat 2G got all attention ( must be VIP), 2 to 3 staff attended 2G offering all kinds of things and staff present all the time
I pre-reserved vegetarian meal but first thing they served me was non-vegitarin
Thanks you for all your comments.
I moved on and looking forward to my next trip on BA ATL-Paris in Oct, used the great deal for for $1300 in Business class
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chilba
I am done with JAL at any cost,

I travel economy on KLM than JAL First
thanks then i can spend my miles with 1 person less to fight with
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by bmchris

serving the fruit to my son the wrong way around (square plate with cut melon pointing away instead of towards the passenger).

Wow. Did you get compensation?

Originally Posted by whimike
Errr..... Ok. So, is JAL, in your opinion, anti-indian or anti-award ticket holders? Or... both?
Clearly anti vegetarian.

I wonder if it was a combination of an initial misstep, maybe some poor communications in English and then the whole thing spiraled down.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: *gold, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurian, IHG Royal whatever, Emerald one world whatever
^^^
Originally Posted by demue
If you had a bad experience just vote with your feet and chose a different carrier. Done, none of us can substantiate your claims as we weren't there. Stick with CX for example if you liked the experience. Simple. Just move on.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Wow. Did you get compensation?

Believe it or not, I didn't notice until 2 weeks later! I took a photo of my customized breakfast (caviar, croissant, fruit, japanese curry), and then of my son's (croissant, fruit, udon, pork cutlet sandwich) and only noticed it then.

I think it's worth at least the difference between an F and J ticket! What do you think? Lucky I took photos as supportive evidence . Clearly a safety issue - if it's OK to serve food backwards, what's next? Flying the plane backwards?

I'm being facetious in case anyone was wondering. JAL and their crew were wonderful.

Last edited by bmchris; Jul 20, 2015 at 8:00 am
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
I recently flew JL F LAX-NRT-TPE, and while I'll admit that I like CX F service slightly better than JL F, it's only because of the proactiveness of CX FAs. JL FAs seemed less outgoing, but still friendly and always willing to get what you needed.

I'm not sure that the FAs can tell whether or not you're on points. Even though I redeemed AA points, one of the FAs had asked if I was travelling for work. I saw many FAs attending to my husband (in 2k while I was in 2A) throughout the flight (he also ordered a lot of sake). While I'm half Asian, both of us look Caucasian and I didn't feel any discrimination in service because we're not Japanese.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:30 pm

Wife and I traveled several trips (total of about 8 long-haul segments) with JAL F in the last 18 months. All trips were booked with AA miles. Never felt discriminated against. In fact, likely the best service (along with Cathay F) that we ever experienced.

I'm really sorry to hear about OP's experience, but I think OP's complaint and cries of discrimination seems over-the-top. We will personally continue to fly JAL F as much as we are able to and in fact, seek out JAL as much as we can.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I am not Japanese (nor American for that matter) and I have never received discrimination on JL.
Saying you're not American doesn't mean anything. American is not a race or ethnicity.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ducati
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I am not Japanese (nor American for that matter) and I have never received discrimination on JL.
Saying you're not American doesn't mean anything. American is not a race or ethnicity.
Strictly speaking neither is chinese nor european; and indian is quite confusing. So whats your point? Shall we all stop talking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.