Tokyo/Haneda to San Francisco (HND-SFO)
Effective 01 Jan to 08 Mar, 2015
  • Departs from HND at 00:05 (daily)
  • Arrives into SFO at 16:25-1

Equipment: Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
Seating Config: W83/W84, aka SS7
JAL SS7 info: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/newsky/ss7/
JAL SS7 seatmap: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/conf/777.html
Discussion on SS7 rollout (FT): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...-seat-map.html
Print Wikipost

new F route: SFO-HND

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I recently flew HND-SFO in C and SFO-HND in F, and I tend to agree that the premium for F over C is minimal on this overnight flight. The menu for F is essentially the same pre-departure snack and pre-arrival breakfast as for C with a few added options (caviar, etc.). Most passengers are so tired by departure that they will eat very little and then sleep. Salon was nice, but I could only manage a few glasses before I got some sleep due to the relatively short flight back (weak headwinds heading west). The C product is so good on the 77Ws that I would be satisfied with that; I would save my miles/money for use in F on a daytime flight.

Also, the lounge at SFO available to departing passengers (only the JL lounge when I was there -- the CX lounge had already closed) is extremely mediocre, and the separate room for F passengers was literally a room with 10 seats, one window, no food/drink, and four of us staring at each other. Awkward to say the least.
Ah thanks for the review. F had just opened on SFO-HND for our dates before you posted this and I grabbed them but I'm thinking of downgrading back to J. I'm sadly not as miles rich as I used to be since I'm not traveling right now.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:52 am

lounge questions

hi everyone,

I couldn't find the answers online so hope u can help:

1. if I'm flying F on SFO-HND, can I use the CX lounge?

2. getting into HND at 5am, is there an arrivals lounge? just want to take a shower before I head out to Tokyo.

thx as always
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Main challenge for using the SFO CX lounge is check-in.

JAL does not open its counter until 2-3 hours before the flight. CX closes its counter in a way where your window to use it isn't too long.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a follow-up having taken this flight finally a few days ago. My overall takeaway is twofold:

1) As a mileage redemption in the sense of FT it isn't the best - the menu is limited in J relative to the other US - Tokyo JL flights and the SFO lounge is far from ideal since you don't get the full J experience you get the limited (though you can still get a couple of Yamazaki 12's to get you to sleep faster )

HOWEVER

2) If I were looking at this flight in J from a paid perspective it would be an ideal flight. The timing is fantastic (particularly coming from the East Coast - where by the time you get on the flight you're exhausted and can fall asleep straight away - my gf fell asleep for 10 hours without any additional help) and for connections to other parts of Japan (we were connecting to CTS) HND is an easy airport to transit and connect in and the transit / immigration line is virtually empty at 430-5am especially when coming from the front of the plane. Premium economy also looked pretty empty when I walked through and I know they were selling it for $300 at the check-in counter at SFO (we had to get new tickets from the JL ticket counter at SFO when we connected from our CLT - SFO flight)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Slipless
Indeed, the F food selection is disappointing. Most airlines still offer full service menu in F on long haul routes, even on late night departure.
Originally Posted by apk123
I'm booked on one of the first flights, departing on 12/3 from SFO. Very excited as it's my first JAL flight and first time in international First on a good (read: non-US) carrier! I assume that there is not going to be a separate first class lounge available?
Originally Posted by rborkows
BA/LAN lounge closes at last departure, normally 20:00, well before the SFO-HND departure.

Same for CX lounge, closes at last departure, normally 23:10.

CX will likely be your best bet, but sounds like you'll have to hop around a bit.

Will be on the flight in a few months, let me know how it goes, apk123!
Originally Posted by Slipless
I took HND-SFO flight a few days ago in F. The food selection was as described on the website. While the food was nicely presented and tasty, the food was more in a snack style vs meal. Compared to CX or BA catering on late night departures in F it was a major letdown. Other than that, the service was excellent, drink selection was also up to F standards. The cabin temperature was also comfortable and I did not feel hot at all.
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Ah, disappointed to learn about this, as I recently booked RT in F on this route for my wife and myself. I sort of understand the reasoning, given the timing of these flights, though competitors like TG, CX and SQ seem to manage nice meals on their long-haul late flights.

Given some flexibility in our schedules (i.e., we don't have to fly non-stop SFO-HND-SFO, and will in fact be originating in Manila), I might simply cancel and look into competitors - though I was kind of interested in trying JL F for the first time. If I do stick with JL but seek a more indirect route, does anyone know offhand if these are the only trans-Pacific F meal services that JL offers as snacks, or what other trans-Pacific routes it takes a similar approach for?

Thanks for any advice.
Originally Posted by venkol
disappointing to hear as I have a trip coming up soon on this flight as well. Maybe they will make a change if feedback is poor.
Originally Posted by kalikidd05
I have a flight from SFO - HND as well. Does anyone know if I can pre-order a meal? Maybe the meal choice includes more options? The website says advance reservations for meals are available for select routes and says I should call the reservation desk? Anyone done this before?
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Does anyone know? Quite disappointing to skimp out on your 1rst class service f&b on a 10 hr flight regardless of departure time.
Originally Posted by absolutboy20
I don't mind that they are not serving a full dinner service out of HND for the flight as at least you get to enjoy one of their best lounges JAL offers prior to boarding. What I don't get is the meal that they do serve prior to arrival is breakfast. The flight arrives into SFO around 4:30PM. They should be offering a full lunch meal in my opinion.

I bit the bullet and am going to give it a go in May for my inbound flight to SFO. Hoping that they do change up the menu and switch to a lunch service. Even the lush I am can only drink so much Salon champagne =)
Originally Posted by JALPak
It's based on time of departure city and that's why breakfast is served.
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I recently flew HND-SFO in C and SFO-HND in F, and I tend to agree that the premium for F over C is minimal on this overnight flight. The menu for F is essentially the same pre-departure snack and pre-arrival breakfast as for C with a few added options (caviar, etc.). Most passengers are so tired by departure that they will eat very little and then sleep. Salon was nice, but I could only manage a few glasses before I got some sleep due to the relatively short flight back (weak headwinds heading west). The C product is so good on the 77Ws that I would be satisfied with that; I would save my miles/money for use in F on a daytime flight.

Also, the lounge at SFO available to departing passengers (only the JL lounge when I was there -- the CX lounge had already closed) is extremely mediocre, and the separate room for F passengers was literally a room with 10 seats, one window, no food/drink, and four of us staring at each other. Awkward to say the least.
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Ah thanks for the review. F had just opened on SFO-HND for our dates before you posted this and I grabbed them but I'm thinking of downgrading back to J. I'm sadly not as miles rich as I used to be since I'm not traveling right now.
Originally Posted by virmaior
Main challenge for using the SFO CX lounge is check-in.

JAL does not open its counter until 2-3 hours before the flight. CX closes its counter in a way where your window to use it isn't too long.
Originally Posted by BAmemberUSD2009
hi everyone,

I couldn't find the answers online so hope u can help:

1. if I'm flying F on SFO-HND, can I use the CX lounge?

2. getting into HND at 5am, is there an arrivals lounge? just want to take a shower before I head out to Tokyo.

thx as always
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Just a follow-up having taken this flight finally a few days ago. My overall takeaway is twofold:

1) As a mileage redemption in the sense of FT it isn't the best - the menu is limited in J relative to the other US - Tokyo JL flights and the SFO lounge is far from ideal since you don't get the full J experience you get the limited (though you can still get a couple of Yamazaki 12's to get you to sleep faster )

HOWEVER

2) If I were looking at this flight in J from a paid perspective it would be an ideal flight. The timing is fantastic (particularly coming from the East Coast - where by the time you get on the flight you're exhausted and can fall asleep straight away - my gf fell asleep for 10 hours without any additional help) and for connections to other parts of Japan (we were connecting to CTS) HND is an easy airport to transit and connect in and the transit / immigration line is virtually empty at 430-5am especially when coming from the front of the plane. Premium economy also looked pretty empty when I walked through and I know they were selling it for $300 at the check-in counter at SFO (we had to get new tickets from the JL ticket counter at SFO when we connected from our CLT - SFO flight)
Hi all, since you all have taken the JAL F SFO-HND and HND -SFO, hope you can help me. This will be my first time in JAL F ever and I am also not miles-rich so maybe this will be my only one JAL F experience. I have some questions, appreciate any advice that you can give to first time flyer here

For SFO - HND bound:
1. I see that available F lounges are Cathay, BA, JAL. If Cathay Lounge closes at around 11pm and JAL check in desk not open until 2-3 hours prior to boarding, can I just check in online and print out my boarding pass at home, go to SFO earlier then just go straight to security and then access the Cathay lounge? I just have carry-on and no luggage to be checked in anyway.

2. Even though the flight out from SFO is departing at midnight, can I ask for main dishes upon departure? I don't want to sleep right away (will sleep at home before going to SFO) as I want to adjust my body clock to japan's timezone, and to maximize my first ever experience flying first class, I want to eat eat eat as much as I can in first class, since it cost a lot of miles that I earned painstakingly

3. Can I choose Japanese option for main dishes but also request additional main dishes from Western option such as wagyu beef and caviar? I have huge appetite and want to order as much as I can to maximize the experience of flying F first time in my life.
If above is not possible, can I ask them for caviar in addition of japanese entree? The thing is, I would love to choose the Japanese entree course...but I also would love to try the famous caviar...and it's listed as a part in "western" course...

4. How to place an order in advance before the plane take off to avoid their excuse that they already gave it to other F passengers and ran out of food? this is our first time flying JAL F ever in our life so we want to maximize our experience.

5. Upon arrival at Haneda, has anyone ever use the TIAT Shower Room facilities that provided for F and J passengers? how does it work, just go to shower room and they will let you in and use it without any additional fee?

6. Where is the best place to exchange USD to Yen at HND airport?

For HND-SFO bound:
1. How to book/reserve an appointment for massage in JAL F Class Relaxation Room in Haneda Airport? My flight going back to SFO will depart from Haneda and I heard it's better to make an appointment first since it always full. But how to make an appointment if I arrive in arrival part of the airport at 5 am in the morning from my flight SFO-HND.

2. Do I also need to make an appointment if I want to use shower room?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:36 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/index02.html

Please check out the menu first and let us know if you still have questions about meal service.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Our experience won't apply to everyone, but FWIW for those on award flights...

We were going to fly (MNL-)HND-SFO in F, but after reading about the limited JL meal options and because MNL-HKG-SFO was more convenient (and because CX F is great) I kept my eyes open for 2 CX F HKG-SFO opening up on our desired date. Lo and behold, the 2 CX award seats did in fact open up a few days beforehand. (It's apparently not so unusual for this to happen.) So I switched.

I wanted to check out the HND lounge and JL F for the first time, but also wanted the full F experience that CX offered and more time transpacific F rather than inter-Asia J, so opted for that. Again, not relevant to many folks here, but for those on award tix originating in many places in Asia this possible option could come in handy.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:32 pm

Thanks, I guess I can order caviar since it listed as snacks or side dishes.
So that left me with remaining questions:

For SFO - HND bound:
1. I see that available F lounges are Cathay, BA, JAL. If Cathay Lounge closes at around 11pm and JAL check in desk not open until 2-3 hours prior to boarding, can I just check in online and print out my boarding pass at home, go to SFO earlier then just go straight to security and then access the Cathay lounge? I just have carry-on and no luggage to be checked in anyway.

2. Can I request / order two main dishes (western and japanese) after I finished either one.

3. Upon arrival at Haneda, has anyone ever use the TIAT Shower Room facilities that provided for F and J passengers? how does it work, just go to shower room and they will let you in and use it without any additional fee?

4. Where is the best place to exchange USD to Yen at HND airport?

For HND-SFO bound:
1. How to book/reserve an appointment for massage in JAL F Class Relaxation Room in Haneda Airport? My flight going back to SFO will depart from Haneda and I heard it's better to make an appointment first since it always full. But how to make an appointment if I arrive in arrival part of the airport at 5 am in the morning from my flight SFO-HND.

2. Do I also need to make an appointment if I want to use shower room?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:16 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
You can only ask for second serving if everyone onboard have been served and there are still extra.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
You can only ask for second serving if everyone onboard have been served and there are still extra.
Thanks! ok confusion about food solved.
How about getting into lounge early when JAL counter is not open? flight from SFO to HND is at 1 am and I plan to be at SFO around 7 pm to check BA and Cathay lounge and hop into JAL lounge at the end.
Would they let me in if I already checked in online at home and printed my boarding pass at home?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
At least with CX flying out of SFO, I've been able to check in online, get my boarding pass and go straight though security without needing to stop at the CX counter. Perhaps you can do the same thing with JL.

On the other hand, the CX and BA lounges (and I assume the JL one) are not so much fun, so big or so comfortable that spending lots of time in them is so great...

Regardless, have a great flight and trip!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:46 pm

At least with CX flying out of SFO, I've been able to check in online, get my boarding pass and go straight though security without needing to stop at the CX counter. Perhaps you can do the same thing with JL.

On the other hand, the CX and BA lounges (and I assume the JL one) are not so much fun, so big or so comfortable that spending lots of time in them is so great...
So big and so comfortable ====> means that it's a good thing, isn't it ? I want to do "lounge hopping" and try the different free foods and drinks in the lounge.

Does JAL have a self-service kiosk to print the boarding pass at SFO near the counter if the counter is not open yet?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry...to clarify, the CX and BA lounges are not so big, not so comfortable and not so much fun. Food is nothing great, except the noodle options in the CX lounge are pretty good. Free drinks, of course, which can be fun.

I guess if you've never or rarely been in an airport lounge, experiencing the lounges will be well worth it...I just don't think you need to get to the airport as early as 7 p.m. to fully take advantage of it.

One more question I noticed from your earlier post:

3. Can I choose Japanese option for main dishes but also request additional main dishes from Western option such as wagyu beef and caviar? I have huge appetite and want to order as much as I can to maximize the experience of flying F first time in my life.
If above is not possible, can I ask them for caviar in addition of japanese entree? The thing is, I would love to choose the Japanese entree course...but I also would love to try the famous caviar...and it's listed as a part in "western" course..

As I understand it, the food options on this flight are more limited than you seem to be assuming. Unlike most top airlines' transpacific flights, JL's late night SFO-HND-SFO flights do not do a full dinner service.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Mar 11, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
joykid, if you try to get into the BA lounge, you might want to have a printout of the Oneworld access rules with you. I tried to get in with my JL J boarding pass and it took negotiations with the supervisor to get in (lounge was mostly empty, btw). This was a couple years ago, and only one data point, so of course YMMV.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry...to clarify, the CX and BA lounges are not so big, not so comfortable and not so much fun. Food is nothing great, except the noodle options in the CX lounge are pretty good. Free drinks, of course, which can be fun.

I guess if you've never or rarely been in an airport lounge, experiencing the lounges will be well worth it...I just don't think you need to get to the airport as early as 7 p.m. to fully take advantage of it.

One more question I noticed from your earlier post:

If above is not possible, can I ask them for caviar in addition of japanese entree? The thing is, I would love to choose the Japanese entree course...but I also would love to try the famous caviar...and it's listed as a part in "western" course..

As I understand it, the food options on this flight are more limited than you seem to be assuming. Unlike most top airlines' transpacific flights, JL's late night SFO-HND-SFO flights do not do a full dinner service.
This is spot on - they have a full breakfast service instead with a more limited "anytime" menu vs other US flights. In J this was a big letdown since the "anytime" menu is extremely limited compared to other US flights but as noted above for sleeping and onward connections within Japan it was suitable.

FWIW, all menus can be found online just Google "JAL first class menu" and you can see the menu for any JAL route in F or J as well as the drinks menu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.