Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi on JAL 009

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Wifi on JAL 009

Hi guys - quick question for any of you who might know.

Is it possible to connect to the JAL Wifi service via my phone and then make my phone a hotspot so I can share the access with my GF, etc?

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bennyblanco
Hi guys - quick question for any of you who might know.

Is it possible to connect to the JAL Wifi service via my phone and then make my phone a hotspot so I can share the access with my GF, etc?

Thanks
I haven't tried that before and not sure how hotspot access work. If all the traffics goes through your phone as if they are originated from it (e.g. with the same MAC address), then I don't see how it can be blocked. Let use know how it goes.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Are you sure your phone can operate as a Wi-Fi repeater? Most phones I know of can only function as a hotspot by sharing a cellular connection.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:20 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by yamanote8
Are you sure your phone can operate as a Wi-Fi repeater? Most phones I know of can only function as a hotspot by sharing a cellular connection.
It's possible to do this through bluetooth for example but it may require an app or jailbreak if that's iOS we are talking about.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Use laptop to acess internet thru phone as a usb modam, then share internet. Better try on ground first since its a pain to work this out in air
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Use laptop to acess internet thru phone as a usb modam, then share internet. Better try on ground first since its a pain to work this out in air
Did this ever work?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Did this ever work?
I think what he's trying to say is have 2 Wifi connections:

connection 1: connect to wifi from JAL
connection 2: create ad-hoc network to share

That sounds like it could be done. But really you'd have to debug that quite a bit on the ground me-thinks. or... you could just pay up for each person instead of breaking the T&C
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by virmaior
I think what he's trying to say is have 2 Wifi connections:

connection 1: connect to wifi from JAL
connection 2: create ad-hoc network to share

That sounds like it could be done. But really you'd have to debug that quite a bit on the ground me-thinks. or... you could just pay up for each person instead of breaking the T&C
It was more of a question about whether it worked or not thats all. I didn't think it would be that simple to beat the system, hence the question
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
It was more of a question about whether it worked or not thats all. I didn't think it would be that simple to beat the system, hence the question
Actually, I'm 90% certain that this would be very difficult to detect due to the way NAT works -- i.e., if you can setup your side, then you can almost certainly do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.