Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Last 3 JL flights have left me feel like I have been cooked again.
Not a good way to get decent sleep.

Lesson learned: Do not travel on JL unless in F (the only way to avoid feeling I've been cooked on JL). This means I cannot fly on some routes on JL because of the lack of F cabin.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Lesson learned: Do not travel on JL unless in F (the only way to avoid feeling I've been cooked on JL). This means I cannot fly on some routes on JL because of the lack of F cabin.
i flew HNDHKG ytd (it arrives earlier than the CX one) and i ran out of clothing so i was wearing a shirt.

oh my..... lounge was an oven (so i had to stay in the showers to cool down); plane was an oven - i woke up in sweat so had to ask for cold tea.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Is JAL reading this???

HELLO?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Even on JFK-NRT in F I was cooked. Was given bottles of water. Will not fly JAL unless I must.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:59 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Is JAL reading this???

HELLO?
If you expect something different, you should fly another carrier unfortunately. On my recent JTA flights, thermometer in the cabin showed temperature well above 25C and most passengers were using blanket. Majority wins in this case.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:39 am

Even on JFK-NRT in F I was cooked. Was given bottles of water. Will not fly JAL unless I must.
I think all the JL F flights I have been on were mostly populated by people who did not like the heat The cabin temperature was set at 22/23 degrees and no-one seemed to complain of being cold, much to my delight.

My routine on JL domestic flights (which I take rather frequently - it's hard not to fly on a Japanese airline in Japan to avoid the heat):

Cabin crew offering a blanket
I say "oh no, no thank you" as if I had been offered a piece of something shocking
Old May 23, 2017, 2:12 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I think all the JL F flights I have been on were mostly populated by people who did not like the heat The cabin temperature was set at 22/23 degrees and no-one seemed to complain of being cold, much to my delight.

My routine on JL domestic flights (which I take rather frequently - it's hard not to fly on a Japanese airline in Japan to avoid the heat):

Cabin crew offering a blanket
I say "oh no, no thank you" as if I had been offered a piece of something shocking
Not just F, CA intentionally set C cooler than Y as well. The senior CA explained to me passengers like it warm in Y and she is concern that it's too cold for me in C and asked if I need to turn up the heat. Yea it is a bit cold for me but I told her to keep it cool I don't mind using the blanket.

If you worry about flying domestically in Japan, I think you will have an even bigger problem being in Japan than just the airlines itself. Quite a lot of places set the temperature warm even during summer. HND was like an oven today e.g.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Another data point: I recently flew NRT-DFW round trip and found the temperature to be generally pleasant in both directions. (I wore shorts and a T shirt on both flights.) On the way to DFW there were moments when the temperature felt too warm, but on the way back it sometimes felt chilly! (First time I've ever felt cold in 14 years of flying JAL.) Note that I am non-Japanese and usually prefer cooler temps than most Japanese.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JALPak
If you expect something different, you should fly another carrier unfortunately. On my recent JTA flights, thermometer in the cabin showed temperature well above 25C and most passengers were using blanket. Majority wins in this case.
wrong

if the majority of the population demands lowering of the temp, should jl follow
Old May 23, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
wrong

if the majority of the population demands lowering of the temp, should jl follow
If a majority demands it, I am sure JAL would follow. But right now it seems only a limited number of Flyertalk members that are complaining.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If a majority demands it, I am sure JAL would follow. But right now it seems only a limited number of Flyertalk members that are complaining.
You call a 31 page thread a limited number of FT flyers? I just think it's the majority of Japanese passengers (who have nothing to do with FT) they have to please. If it is indeed the case, I understand it from a business perspective.

But can anyone really disagree that a cabin temperature of 25-30 Celsius is NOT too hot?
Old May 23, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But can anyone really disagree that a cabin temperature of 25-30 Celsius is NOT too hot?
Of course I disagree! 25-30 Celsius is ABSOLUTELY too hot!

I'm kind of dreading an upcoming flight (in F, then J regionally). What's particularly disturbing is that they apparently ordered the aircraft without personal air vents? We have USB/battery operated fans though.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You call a 31 page thread a limited number of FT flyers? I just think it's the majority of Japanese passengers (who have nothing to do with FT) they have to please. If it is indeed the case, I understand it from a business perspective.

The standard setting is not 25-30,it is 24. And yes, I am not Japanese and I do about 60 JAL flights a year, and no I have not yet felt too warm on a flight. In F I always sleep with the PJ and the duvet.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 23, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 6:24 pm

It's usually not THAT bad. I have seen 25 degrees, but not 26-30. I'd start crying blue murder if they set it at 26 degrees or over I'd say my preferred cabin temperature would be 22 when awake and 20 when asleep.

If you worry about flying domestically in Japan, I think you will have an even bigger problem being in Japan than just the airlines itself. Quite a lot of places set the temperature warm even during summer.
I did notice (I guess I would be a bit dopey not to after up to 20 visits/year...) but it's somewhat easier to cope with on the ground.

I of course avoid the jyakureibousha (for those who do not speak Japanese, that's an 'even warmer carriage than usual' on a train) like the plague.

Of course the bigger problems are on long haul flights - you can't get off quickly.

It's not just JL though. I find NH cabin has a tendency to be too warm.

Personally, JL sets the temperature too high for my liking in C as well.

It didn't use to be quite like this 20 years ago though. Their temperature setting used to be pretty 'normal'.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Not just F, CA intentionally set C cooler than Y as well. The senior CA explained to me passengers like it warm in Y and she is concern that it's too cold for me in C and asked if I need to turn up the heat. Yea it is a bit cold for me but I told her to keep it cool I don't mind using the blanket.

If you worry about flying domestically in Japan, I think you will have an even bigger problem being in Japan than just the airlines itself. Quite a lot of places set the temperature warm even during summer. HND was like an oven today e.g.
and on the ground you can easily create wind

in a windlet-less aircraft you cant.

simple as that.

indeed hnd was hot as hell and i had to take refuge in thw showerroom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.