Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:46 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Punekar
Hi all, newbie here. I recently took advantage of the fare sale and booked ORD-SIN for $335. In my haste to book it, I stupidly booked the return with a transfer from NRT to HND (SIN-NRT/HND-SFO-ORD). Kicking myself now. The NRT-HND transfer is only 3.5 hours, which from what I've read, seems like too little time to enter Japan, travel between airports, exit Japan, clear security etc. I called JAL today and tried to change it but they say it is within the 3 hr minimum, so any change would involve a fee. My question-- in the seemingly inevitable case of a misconnect, even without a delay on the inbound, what will happen? Will I have to buy a new ticket to ORD for will they try to accommodate me on the next flight? Thanks in advance
You will need to check your fare rules. Under some more restrictive fare cases, yes you will need to purchase a new ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Punekar
Hi all, newbie here. I recently took advantage of the fare sale and booked ORD-SIN for $335. In my haste to book it, I stupidly booked the return with a transfer from NRT to HND (SIN-NRT/HND-SFO-ORD). Kicking myself now. The NRT-HND transfer is only 3.5 hours, which from what I've read, seems like too little time to enter Japan, travel between airports, exit Japan, clear security etc. I called JAL today and tried to change it but they say it is within the 3 hr minimum, so any change would involve a fee. My question-- in the seemingly inevitable case of a misconnect, even without a delay on the inbound, what will happen? Will I have to buy a new ticket to ORD for will they try to accommodate me on the next flight? Thanks in advance
3.5 hours is tight but it is doable. If you miss the flight due events outside of your control, i.e. being able to show that you took the first and fastest connection, etc. and in the end was delayed, they will probably accommodate you the following day. But not being obliged to do so.

I have gone from a 7:35am arrival in NRT to a 11:20 departure in HND on separate tickets. It is doable, but there is no time to stop and smell the roses.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:12 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by JALPak
Never. Check your mail instead.
OK so they sent the sapphire card (skipped crystal) and JGC application form by mail, I just faxed it in and looks like 5000 miles was deducted.

Now, my next JL flight in in a few days, will I get the 3000 mile first flight bonus yearly JGC bonus? Or is that for 2018 year only?

My next renewal will be in April 2019 right, whether based on my 2018 activity or 5000 miles?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
OK so they sent the sapphire card (skipped crystal) and JGC application form by mail, I just faxed it in and looks like 5000 miles was deducted.

Now, my next JL flight in in a few days, will I get the 3000 mile first flight bonus yearly JGC bonus? Or is that for 2018 year only?

My next renewal will be in April 2019 right, whether based on my 2018 activity or 5000 miles?
Yes apr 2019.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:59 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm trying to book an award ticket w/ my JAL miles but am having a bit of difficulties figuring out what's allowed. My Japanese is awful (日本語は難しいです!!), and the agents' English isn't great either.

So far I've gathered that I can book a one-way award; but can only mix one non-oneworld partner (e.g. EK) and JAL on the same award. Is that right? Still can't get a straight answer on the following:

- How many stopovers can I include in that EK+JL award?
- Any routing rules I need to be aware of (backtracking, etc?)
- Can I have open-jaws / empty segments in there? Does the empty segment distance count towards the total?
- Can JAL put an award on hold? Seems like they put something on hold for me for one week… but it doesn't seem to have taken any award space away (I don't know how many seats were available so it's possible it did.)
- I need to top up my account from SPG (I'm about 15k short)… how long does the transfer take?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm trying to book an award ticket w/ my JAL miles but am having a bit of difficulties figuring out what's allowed. My Japanese is awful (日本語は難しいです!!), and the agents' English isn't great either.

So far I've gathered that I can book a one-way award; but can only mix one non-oneworld partner (e.g. EK) and JAL on the same award. Is that right? Still can't get a straight answer on the following:

- How many stopovers can I include in that EK+JL award?
- Any routing rules I need to be aware of (backtracking, etc?)
- Can I have open-jaws / empty segments in there? Does the empty segment distance count towards the total?
- Can JAL put an award on hold? Seems like they put something on hold for me for one week… but it doesn't seem to have taken any award space away (I don't know how many seats were available so it's possible it did.)
- I need to top up my account from SPG (I'm about 15k short)… how long does the transfer take?
Don't think they will hold it for you without the required miles. You can ask for a different agent when you call. There are a couple of them who speak perfect English.

Otherwise most of the answers are here:
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/..._air/list.html

Max of 3 stopovers. Note that land sector is also considered as a stopover, and its distance will also be counted.

Also check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...any-weeks.html
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:02 am

I am trying to book a one way award for my wife and I from Manila to the States in early August. Seats are available to NRT but waitlisted to all US destinations, is this a fools chance or worth putting miles into my JAL account? We always fly CX back home using Alaska miles and we would much rather fly JAL. I have never booked an award with JAL directly and the waitlisting seems complex and confusing. Any input is much appreciated.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MdBoater
I am trying to book a one way award for my wife and I from Manila to the States in early August. Seats are available to NRT but waitlisted to all US destinations, is this a fools chance or worth putting miles into my JAL account? We always fly CX back home using Alaska miles and we would much rather fly JAL. I have never booked an award with JAL directly and the waitlisting seems complex and confusing. Any input is much appreciated.
Depends on when in early August. If it's closer to obon, you can forget about redemption. You can see last year ex-Japan flights were almost full for first few days during the peak season on page 3.

http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/bw_uploads...kZe/LnBkZg.pdf
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:24 am

Thanks for the quick reply, I am planning on returning the 3-4th, likely to BOS/JFK currently seeing around or over 30 revenue business seats available still on JL8/4 for those days. If you waitlist does that at least guarantee you an economy or premium economy seat? I do not want to have them redeposited in my account and be left with having to put out more money to find another last second option.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MdBoater
Thanks for the quick reply, I am planning on returning the 3-4th, likely to BOS/JFK currently seeing around or over 30 revenue business seats available still on JL8/4 for those days. If you waitlist does that at least guarantee you an economy or premium economy seat? I do not want to have them redeposited in my account and be left with having to put out more money to find another last second option.
No, there's no guarantee you will have a Y or PY seat.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:30 pm
jix

I'm on pvg-nrt on jl then nrt-dfw-YYZ AA and my jl flight is now delayed due to arc at pvg. Need some quick help in terms of what to do when I arrive at tokyo do I ask jl or aa for help? It's a aa stock ticket but jl being the delayed flight
I'm on business and have status. Will jl put me on different alliance or do i have to wait next day for same flight? I see nh has hnd
yvr or lax later tonight
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
I'm on pvg-nrt on jl then nrt-dfw-YYZ AA and my jl flight is now delayed due to arc at pvg. Need some quick help in terms of what to do when I arrive at tokyo do I ask jl or aa for help? It's a aa stock ticket but jl being the delayed flight
I'm on business and have status. Will jl put me on different alliance or do i have to wait next day for same flight? I see nh has hnd
yvr or lax later tonight
Why don't you ask them to put you on AA PVG-LAX/ORD/LAX?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:12 am
Original Poster

By the way I expect a JL staff waiting for you at your arrival gate with new boarding passes if you indeed have to miss your flight. But if you are on JL874, you shouldn't have problem catching the AA60 flight to DFW. Estimated arrival is 1720 and scheduled departure is 1830. That's more than the MCT.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:43 am
jix

Yes I made it thanks. The two planes were parked very very far so that wasn't fun
and now my AA NRT DFW is delayed due to weather lol.

I would have asked for AA ex pvg flights but jl announced the atc delay after door closed so nothing I can do. They even served the entire meal on the ground during the delay. I think I will avoid pvg going forward.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Yes I made it thanks. The two planes were parked very very far so that wasn't fun
and now my AA NRT DFW is delayed due to weather lol.

I would have asked for AA ex pvg flights but jl announced the atc delay after door closed so nothing I can do. They even served the entire meal on the ground during the delay. I think I will avoid pvg going forward.
Avoid the entire mainland china

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.