Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Check your TYO flight status. TYO suspended operation due to 8.9 earthquake in Sendai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check your TYO flight status. TYO suspended operation due to 8.9 earthquake in Sendai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I think this is the best forum to ask questions, since most of you are Japan based and know what things are like in Japan right now....

I am scheduled to fly into NGO on the 18th and NRT-EWR on the 22nd... I will be spending most of my time in Kyoto/Kyodo, so do you think it should be okay? I know North Japan is in a bad shape right now after the tsunami, but what about central to south Japan?

Continental will not waive any changes fees, because I am going there after the 15th...
Central to South Japan is running normally, but in a little more somber mood than usual. There will be absolutely no problem if you stay in Kyoto.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I live in Osaka/Kobe everything is operating as usual.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:45 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I think this is the best forum to ask questions, since most of you are Japan based and know what things are like in Japan right now....

I am scheduled to fly into NGO on the 18th and NRT-EWR on the 22nd... I will be spending most of my time in Kyoto/Kyodo, so do you think it should be okay? I know North Japan is in a bad shape right now after the tsunami, but what about central to south Japan?

Continental will not waive any changes fees, because I am going there after the 15th...
actually japan forum has more people than the JAL one and most of the JAL regulars have moved on to MilePoint already and only checked here a couple times a day.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:42 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I decided not to go to Japan now, at least until the nuclear problem is solved.
According to the news media, it does not affect the human body if we stay away more than 30 KM, but everyday, they said something diffferent and something new.

Moreover, a lot of my friends and clients came to Hawaii for the last two days, especially family with kids(some private schools have been closed until April).

I will wait and see, but I decided to donate air fare money to one of the relief fund.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Tak
According to the news media, it does not affect the human body if we stay away more than 30 KM, but everyday, they said something diffferent and something new.
I would not trust anything the media, especially western media, says. They are not interested in reporting the news. They are only interested in generating headlines that will make them money. Most of what they are saying is sensationalist.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:07 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Tak
I decided not to go to Japan now, at least until the nuclear problem is solved.

Moreover, a lot of my friends and clients came to Hawaii for the last two days, especially family with kids(some private schools have been closed until April).

I will wait and see, but I decided to donate air fare money to one of the relief fund.
Yes you should avoid TYO at the moment. Even other FTers are trying/planning their escape route now.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC
Situation at Fukushima nuclear plant

UK Government's Chief Scientific Officer comments on the developments following the explosion at Fukushima nuclear plant
http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/news/...s&id=566799182

Seemingly reasonable, though I'm not an expert on the matter.
FYI,
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:17 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by Himeno
I would not trust anything the media, especially western media, says. They are not interested in reporting the news. They are only interested in generating headlines that will make them money. Most of what they are saying is sensationalist.
It could be true, but at this time, thanks to internet and location free program, I was watching LIVE Japanese broadcasting(mainly NHK) from the moment when the first earthquake occured.

My decision was based on the report/comments by Prime minister Mr. kan, Kanbo Mr. Edano^, and unorganized Toden employees( it seems they are so tired and depressed), and especially daily and hourly changing events and facts?( are the facts are truely facts?).

I wish I could trust the current Japanese Government and their leadership.
However, it has been impossible.

It is said by japanese media that we are safe if we are away from the plants.
But we heard - we did not expect it, we did not think about it, we did not dream of it, we have never erxperienced it .......

Still, I strongly and sincerely hope Toden/Japanese military force/ and others to manage the problem as soon as they can.

I hope Japanese who suffered by Earthquake and Tsunami can see and enjoy the SAKURA this spring.

By the way, my wife is a travel agent and 80% of her clients cancelled the trip to Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.