Wiki Posts
Search

Am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:07 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by little bunny
They will check seat availability after receiving an online order, but most of the time they can secure tickets. I have more luck with the online reservation system by the way. When I phoned 1-877 number, a customer rep couldn't find anything lower than what I found via online request to NY branch later that day.
um...if you could use the website to send them an order, that means there are seats available in that particular booking class...but in this case, there's no available seats in those cheap booking classes otherwise the JAL online price won't be in the 5K range
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
All JTB can do for you is to waitlist in lower booking classes that are not available. Also, make sure you call the JTB website branch. Other branches either don't sell those discounted tickets listed on the website or charge you extra (Torrence branch charged me $70 extra ticketing fee for this type of discount ticket and some agents didn't even know about this type of discount ticket)

If you have travel companions, it might be harder to clear all tickets unless all of you upgrades or booked under the same PNR so all will have priority waitlist.

I emailed them a request for a K fare, they responded to me very quickly (^) that there were none available so I asked to be waitlisted, we'll see what happens.

And it looks I goofed in my previous post, Y fares are listed at $3700, not $5700.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:24 am

Last year, May, we purchased JAL ORD/BKK coach departing August 1, for $825.
JAL had a sale.

With the crazy high prices this year, we tried for AAward 70K coach. Nothing available, then at the agents suggestion, because there were so many, many J seat awards available, we purchased miles (sale price) and bumped up. Later, with more Hyatt miles, we secured F JAL out and CX F back.

For years, it was cheaper to fly to ORDJNB in the summer than BKK>
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:48 am

um...if you could use the website to send them an order, that means there are seats available in that particular booking class...
subject to availability, they say. you can send a request, and if it's available, they will hold it for you for a very short space of time. or am i missing something?

but in this case, there's no available seats in those cheap booking classes otherwise the JAL online price won't be in the 5K range
makes sense, though JTB was able to quote cheaper prices when AA.com prices were much higher. JAL isn't the same perhaps. and i wouldn't pay 5k out of my pocket to fly coach, unless my seatmate is quite attractive, which i have no way of knowing beforehand i'd probably do the same thing as zznoname did with miles.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Black Adder
I emailed them a request for a K fare, they responded to me very quickly (^) that there were none available so I asked to be waitlisted, we'll see what happens.

Wow, I really like JTB. Initial fare request to ticketing in 5 days DEN-MNL and KUL-DEN for $1530 ai on a K fare. On hold now to waitlist the C upgrades. ^
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by NYCBunny
I'm just doing a JFK -> NRT trip.
That one is a tough route because JAL differentiates the ticket price greatly depending on onward connection. Eg. at one point it costs more to fly in Y between HK <-> NRT <-> JFK, than J between China <-> NRT <-> JFK, and both are way cheaper compared to simply NRT <-> JFK. Maybe try playing around with it a bit and see if you can detour to ICN then back, it could be cheaper, more eqm, and not that much extra travel time!

Btw, I noticed that sometimes JL18 (I think) and JL17, the flights that connect to and from GRU, might be cheaper than JL5 and other regular service. But the product is not the the latest gen of Shell Flat Neo or Suite.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:34 am

Bottom line is...

V & L Class are NOT upgradeable fares

B & H Class ARE upgradable fares but what JALPak says about booking as
H-Cls doesn't get higher priority in terms of waitlist. PAXs of JGC/JML/JMX have top priority over others...
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by azntrickster
Bottom line is...

V & L Class are NOT upgradeable fares

B & H Class ARE upgradable fares but what JALPak says about booking as
H-Cls doesn't get higher priority in terms of waitlist. PAXs of JGC/JML/JMX have top priority over others...
JAL should release inventory in the order of booking class. Higher booking class will clear the waitlist faster than lower ones theoretically.

But what I suggested was to book in B or H class and upgrade. This way, the agent can tell JAL sales office this and the inventory control in Tokyo will take this into consideration and may help clearing the waitlist faster (it did for me). This will really help in the case where Y is oversold but C has plenty of empty seats.

Welcome to JMB forum and FT, azntrickster!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
For what's it worth I actually did end up booking my ticket today.

$2020 RT JFK/NRT

It was pretty painful.

Had to use a deep discounter to get that

If I only I had acted earlier, I could have done an AA CS from LGA to ORD, and then JAL from ORD to NRT (same routing on the way back) for only $1661

There was one upside, I'm booked in class W on the way back, so 100% miles for me.

Last edited by NYCBunny; Jul 20, 2010 at 7:47 am Reason: Adding additional comment
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by NYCBunny
For what's it worth I actually did end up booking my ticket today.

$2020 RT JFK/NRT

It was pretty painful.

Had to use a deep discounter to get that

If I only I had acted earlier, I could have done an AA CS from LGA to ORD, and then JAL from ORD to NRT (same routing on the way back) for only $1661

There was one upside, I'm booked in class W on the way back, so 100% miles for me.
It's really not that bad...considered you now fly in PY on your way back And since you are booked in W class on your inbound flight, it qualifies for the discount upgrade. Only 15K for a oneway upgrade to business class

http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/...pecial_ug.html
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
It's really not that bad...considered you now fly in PY on your way back And since you are booked in W class on your inbound flight, it qualifies for the discount upgrade. Only 15K for a oneway upgrade to business class

http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/...pecial_ug.html
Oh believe me, I'm way ahead of you on the 15K return upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.