Am I missing something?

Old Jun 23, 10, 12:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 171
Am I missing something?

Granted I haven't priced out flights on JAL since the winter, but am I missing something?

I just did a quick search for Mid August flights (a trip I take every year), and flights are running across the board at $5K

I found some at $2.5K, but they depart on the one day I actually have to be in Japan. Granted, I know the week around the 15th is the o-bon festival, but I've never had a problem getting tickets in June for August for at most $1,500, and that was at the peak of the fuel surcharges.

Am I missing something here? I'm just doing a JFK -> NRT trip.
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Jun 23, 10, 7:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: nyc
Posts: 297
I'm NYCBunny too, in case you haven't noticed Sorry for the irrelevant comment.
little bunny is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 3:19 am
  #3  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,055
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
Granted I haven't priced out flights on JAL since the winter, but am I missing something?

I just did a quick search for Mid August flights (a trip I take every year), and flights are running across the board at $5K

I found some at $2.5K, but they depart on the one day I actually have to be in Japan. Granted, I know the week around the 15th is the o-bon festival, but I've never had a problem getting tickets in June for August for at most $1,500, and that was at the peak of the fuel surcharges.

Am I missing something here? I'm just doing a JFK -> NRT trip.
This year's ticket price has been ridiculous so far (Fall ticket price is the same as summer peak season). My suggestion is to find a travel agent, waitlist on H class and have him/her call JAL telling them you want to upgrade using miles...that way the waitlist will clear faster if there's upgrade award available on your dates
JALPak is online now  
Old Jun 24, 10, 4:00 am
  #4  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,055
Originally Posted by little bunny View Post
I'm NYCBunny too, in case you haven't noticed Sorry for the irrelevant comment.
So NYCBunny and little bunny are the same bunny or you two are two bunnies who happened to be in NYC? I thought u 2 are two different bunnies

Last edited by JALPak; Jun 24, 10 at 5:04 am
JALPak is online now  
Old Jun 24, 10, 7:29 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 787
OT

Bunnies reproduce fast... lol
RA-wannabe is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 8:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CTS
Programs: AA:1MM
Posts: 743
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
I just did a quick search for Mid August flights (a trip I take every year), and flights are running across the board at $5K
yeah, i think this year is just crazy. two years ago did $1300RT in august. This year I couldn't find anything on an airline I wanted beneath $2K.

Used 65K aa miles instead for the R/T.
virmaior is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 10:08 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank; ANA Mileage Club
Posts: 10
Iīve had a similar experience this year with JAL. Couldnīt find any reasonable prices from Europe to Tokyo. And this for next October...

Ended up buying my tickets on ANA.
Alpedra is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 10:48 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by Alpedra View Post
Iīve had a similar experience this year with JAL. Couldnīt find any reasonable prices from Europe to Tokyo. And this for next October...

Ended up buying my tickets on ANA.
Don't get me started, at $1,700 RT vs $2,700.... I think I may have to go to the Dark Side unless AA can come through for me.

Sorry JAL, I know you're restructuring and all, but these prices are just insane
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 10:53 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
Don't get me started, at $1,700 RT vs $2,700.... I think I may have to go to the Dark Side unless AA can come through for me.

Sorry JAL, I know you're restructuring and all, but these prices are just insane
I spoke too soon. Make that ANA's $1,700 vs. JAL's $5,700 :X

So JALPak, explain to me how your plan works now?
NYCBunny is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 10:59 am
  #10  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,055
Originally Posted by NYCBunny View Post
I spoke too soon. Make that ANA's $1,700 vs. JAL's $5,700 :X

So JALPak, explain to me how your plan works now?
Check you PM

Good luck...so are you 2 the same bunny or not?

Last edited by JALPak; Jun 24, 10 at 11:43 am
JALPak is online now  
Old Jun 24, 10, 2:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: nyc
Posts: 297
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
So NYCBunny and little bunny are the same bunny or you two are two bunnies who happened to be in NYC? I thought u 2 are two different bunnies
We are two bunnies in NYC. But for some reason I feel NYCBunny stole my identity In fact I thought it was my screen name haha

JTB USA, a Japanese travel agent, has cheaper flights, though they are subject to availability. http://www.jtbusa.com/en/sp/s-mht.asp#fares assuming that we're talking about economy class fares.
little bunny is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 7:06 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: CTS
Programs: AA:1MM
Posts: 743
Originally Posted by little bunny View Post
We are two bunnies in NYC. But for some reason I feel NYCBunny stole my identity In fact I thought it was my screen name haha

JTB USA, a Japanese travel agent, has cheaper flights, though they are subject to availability. http://www.jtbusa.com/en/sp/s-mht.asp#fares assuming that we're talking about economy class fares.
Maybe a little bit better than the JTB price:

http://www.his-usa.com/en/cms/Cms.aspx?CG_ID=ec

http://www.his-usa.com/en/cms/Cms.aspx?CG_ID=ec-en (if you need English)
virmaior is offline  
Old Jun 24, 10, 7:09 pm
  #13  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: COS
Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,246
Originally Posted by little bunny View Post
We are two bunnies in NYC. But for some reason I feel NYCBunny stole my identity In fact I thought it was my screen name haha

JTB USA, a Japanese travel agent, has cheaper flights, though they are subject to availability. http://www.jtbusa.com/en/sp/s-mht.asp#fares assuming that we're talking about economy class fares.

Thanks for that link, I want to go to Manila in November but all I see are $5700 fares. I hope that JTB can bring that down substantially.
Black Adder is offline  
Old Jun 25, 10, 7:16 am
  #14  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,055
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
Thanks for that link, I want to go to Manila in November but all I see are $5700 fares. I hope that JTB can bring that down substantially.
All JTB can do for you is to waitlist in lower booking classes that are not available. Also, make sure you call the JTB website branch. Other branches either don't sell those discounted tickets listed on the website or charge you extra (Torrence branch charged me $70 extra ticketing fee for this type of discount ticket and some agents didn't even know about this type of discount ticket)

If you have travel companions, it might be harder to clear all tickets unless all of you upgrades or booked under the same PNR so all will have priority waitlist.
JALPak is online now  
Old Jun 25, 10, 10:38 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: nyc
Posts: 297
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
All JTB can do for you is to waitlist in lower booking classes that are not available.
They will check seat availability after receiving an online order, but most of the time they can secure tickets. I have more luck with the online reservation system by the way. When I phoned 1-877 number, a customer rep couldn't find anything lower than what I found via online request to NY branch later that day.
little bunny is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread