Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Consorzio Motoscafi - water taxis in Venice area (English) website

● Alilaguna public boat (water bus) (English) website

● Public Transit (bus, vaporetti smaller local boats, etc. - English) website

● Marco Polo VCE Airport directions to docks for Alilaguna and Motoscafi web page

● Marco Polo VCE airport baggage carts (to haul baggage to docks) web page
Print Wikipost

Venice water taxi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
How do I book water taxi ?

First trip to venice in 40+years coming up for silver wedding anniversary in July .

How do I go about booking the water taxi and or gondola?

Any suggestions for a great celebration meal out?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Neither need to be booked "way in advance." Day of use is more than adequate. Depending on where you are staying (3* or above) the hotel will be able to arrange either/both. As an alternative, there are water taxi stands and - just like in the states - you walk up and take a cab. The same for gondolas. You'll have no problem finding either. Do ask for the price ahead of time.

As for where to eat, I'm very fond of Harry's Dolci on the Guidecca. Its run by the same group as the world famous Harry's Bar in central Venice and has some of the same menu items (including the delicious Bellinis) however its far less expensive, has a far better view and the staff are very attentive - which makes it far superior to the better known central venue.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:15 pm

Perhaps with heavy luggage, the water taxi is worth it, but this is what I did.

At the airport, I purchased a 72-hour transit pass, which was a little cheaper then but now costs about 30 Euros.

I then went outside to the bus area and took the #5 land bus to Piazzale Roma. I validated the ACTV pass (I think either at the bus stop or on the bus.) The pass is good for both the local bus service and the vaporettos.

At Piazzale Roma, I boarded a vaporetto (either #1 or #82) and took it 3 stops to San Marcuola, near where I was staying.

So because I was buying a pass anyway, I did not have to spend anything extra on transport from the airport, and it was all very easy.

There's also another airport bus (ATVO) that is not part of the regular ACTV transport network, that costs about 3 Euros to Piazzale Roma.

Last edited by WillTravel; Jun 5, 2007 at 5:21 pm Reason: Edited to add acronyms.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by DocH
First trip to venice in 40+years coming up for silver wedding anniversary in July .

Congratulations! We booked a water taxi with an English (sortof) speaking driver through our hotel's Concierge for an hour. Cruised the Grand Canal, back canals, outlying islands, all over the place and it was fabulous - such a memorable experience and all for the cost of a short gondola ride. Highly recommended!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a special meal,

on Torchello, there is a restaurant "Locanda Cipriani"

http://www.locandacipriani.com/

In the past, there was a shared water taxi for lunch. I do not know if it still runs. if it does, for about 25 euro pp, a great ride out and back, and one of the finest restaurants in the lagoon.

the only time I have reserved a water taxi is in advance for a 6am or so flight out of vce.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
For a special meal,

on Torchello, there is a restaurant "Locanda Cipriani"

http://www.locandacipriani.com/

In the past, there was a shared water taxi for lunch. I do not know if it still runs. if it does, for about 25 euro pp, a great ride out and back, and one of the finest restaurants in the lagoon.

the only time I have reserved a water taxi is in advance for a 6am or so flight out of vce.
Locanda Cipriani is an excellent choice. Owned by the same company as Harry's Dolci and Harry's Bar. However, the water taxi service is alas no more - meaning that you need to (a) hire a water taxi yourself to get you there and back or (b) take public water transportation. Neither of these are impossible but if you choose the latter, be prepared for about an hour travel time in both directions. Also, reservations are a MUST for the Locanda.

Enjoy
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thank you all for your advice

Many thanks for the advice. We are looking forward to the trip.^
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Transportation when staying on the Lido

I am staying at The Westin Excelsior, Venice Lido Resort in August. I will be arriving with my wife and 1 year old son via train from Florence.

The hotel offers a private transfer where a host meets you at the train with a porter and takes you to a prearranged water taxi for the 50 minute trip to the hotel. I am going to find out what this costs. However if I am paying a large premium for the greeter it is not worth it. Just curious if anyone has done this trip and what the cost of just the water taxi was.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ghia74
I am staying at The Westin Excelsior, Venice Lido Resort in August. I will be arriving with my wife and 1 year old son via train from Florence.

The hotel offers a private transfer where a host meets you at the train with a porter and takes you to a prearranged water taxi for the 50 minute trip to the hotel. I am going to find out what this costs. However if I am paying a large premium for the greeter it is not worth it. Just curious if anyone has done this trip and what the cost of just the water taxi was.
The cost of just hiring a water taxi at the taxi stand outside the station and taking it to the Lido *should* be in the neighborhood of 50 - 60EU.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jun 29, 2007 at 10:17 pm
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:44 pm

The best use of the water taxi is when you have your luggage!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Gondolas are not for real transportation -- especially not for a distance as far away as the airport.

In the many times I have been in Venice I have only taken a gondola twice: Once when I was 19 and was busy hitting on a girl I had met that afternoon and the other, some 35 years later when I wanted to give my daughter a special treat.

They are wonderful for tours of Venice and everybody should try them one time but for real transportation they make very little sense.

You won't have any problem getting a gondola: Go to the Grand Canal right off St. Mark's and there will be dozens of them waiting for a tourist to ask for a trip.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:30 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Locanda Cipriani is an excellent choice. Owned by the same company as Harry's Dolci and Harry's Bar. However, the water taxi service is alas no more - meaning that you need to (a) hire a water taxi yourself to get you there and back or (b) take public water transportation. Neither of these are impossible but if you choose the latter, be prepared for about an hour travel time in both directions. Also, reservations are a MUST for the Locanda.

Enjoy
I completely agree about Locanda Cipriani being an excellent choice. You also might want to consider staying one night in one of it's 6 rooms. The Fosca Suite is small but very beautiful and romantic. It would be a marvelous, romantic choice for a special anniversary.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
The cost of just hiring a water taxi at the taxi stand outside the station and taking it to the Lido *should* be in the neighborhood of 50 - 60EU.
But probably will not be. Tough to haggle when it's the only boat in town. we usually have to pay 60 EU just to get to st marks.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
But probably will not be. Tough to haggle when it's the only boat in town. we usually have to pay 60 EU just to get to st marks.
Just so I have an idea, if the train station to St Marks is x miles, is the train station to the Lido 1.5x, 2x, 3x, etc?

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I can't tell you in miles, but by water bus it is 13 minutes from the train station to San Marco, and 40 minutes from the station to Lido.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.