Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants in Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: ual, aa, nwa, starwood, jwm
Rome Restaurants

Will be in Rome for one-night only so want to make the most of our only dining experience there. Any recommendations for upscale trattoria-style restaurant with authentic/rustic Roman specialties? Thanks!
Old May 21, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I'll speak up for Armando al Pantheon. It's a very small place in , surprise, the Pantheon area. It had been recommended to me by many folks on the Chowhound site. As a solo female diner, I was treated well. I had an off-the-menu order of some pasta with wild strawberries that someone had told me to try if it was available. So simple, yet so delicious! One of the local diners offered me a glass of wine over dessert and we ended up chatting. It has a pretty varied menu of items, so you can go for traditional Roman or some more familiar items. I will say I had the best bruschetta fresca that I've ever had - so simple, but soooo good. The prices were very reasonable, I thought.
They have a website, www.armandoalpantheon.it. It's in Italian, but it's fairly easy to navigate. You really need to make a reservation, as the place is tiny and fills up fast. On the website, click on the "contattaci" button and send them an email (in English) asking for a reservation. They will respond to you, in English.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
i'll vote for either "'gusto" in piazza augusto imperiatore (sp?) or maccheroni (can't remember where).

both great.

probably i'd lean for gusto.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jac411
Will be in Rome for one-night only so want to make the most of our only dining experience there. Any recommendations for upscale trattoria-style restaurant with authentic/rustic Roman specialties? Thanks!
Several threads on this subject in this forum, this one is pretty good
Old May 21, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Ambasciata D'Aburzzo on via Tacchini. You'll have to take a taxi there as via Tacchini is otherwise a residential street but the taxi drivers know the place. I had lunch there and swore to return for dinner next time I'm in Roma.

Ristorante Ambasciata D'Abruzzo
26 via Pietro Tacchini
Roma

Phone 06 807 8256

Lunch - 12h30 to 15h30
Dinner - 19h30 to 24h00
Old May 21, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: ual, aa, nwa, starwood, jwm
Thanks all for the thoughts and the referrals. My mouth is watering now!
Old May 22, 2009, 7:23 am

To make the most in a true roman high end trattoria go to Trastevere area to " Checco er Carrettiere " www.checcoercarettiere.it it is a really good one where I keep returning with full satisfaction every time.

Alternatives are

Paris still in trastevere www.ristoranteparis.com - still roma cuisin a bit more sophisticated interiors

Le Colline Emiliane, via degli Avignonesi 22 near Piazza Barberini, very good high end cuisine from Emilia Romagna a region north of Tuscany. Not at all typical roman cuisine, some dishes might be a bit heavvy for august september

Ristorante Tullio, www.tullioristorante.it both roman and italian cuisine dishes all very good
Old May 25, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by jeff3380
i'll vote for either "'gusto" in piazza augusto imperiatore (sp?) or maccheroni (can't remember where).

both great.

probably i'd lean for gusto.
I'd have seconded this until my last visit in November. Place was empty and they crammed six of us at a table for four up against a wall so a rightie wouldn't even have the room to use a fork/knife. I asked to be moved and they got snippy with me saying all they had was a table for 12 but we could take it if we wanted. They came around and asked if we would like some bread and I assumed it to be the typicaly basket of bread you get in Italy for the pane e coperto...it was some low quality foccacia bread, three loaves of it that cost 3 euro each. When I protested they suddenly didn't speak English though they had asked about the bread in English.

Gusto has like four different places to eat all in the same one block area and I'm talking about the pizzeria. I would go back, but I would be very cautious with them taking advantage of you. I generally have had good experiences there but this last one was a complete sham of a meal.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by dingo
Gusto has like four different places to eat all in the same one block area and I'm talking about the pizzeria. I would go back, but I would be very cautious with them taking advantage of you. I generally have had good experiences there but this last one was a complete sham of a meal.
Gusto is a very large and trendy restaurant with different branded areas around Piazza Augusto Imperatore, and it makes you pay the style of the place and the fact that is one of the fashionable places to eat in roma.

The main restaurant is not a roman trattoria but more a pizzeria and general italian cuisine restaurant. There is a specific Gusto Osteria round the corner from the main restaurant, there you can find roman dishes.
http://www.gusto.it/osteria-roma.htm

M
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:56 pm

Restaurant Recommendations for Rome

I will be in Rome for two nights in late August before heading off on a cruise and plan to take in some of the sites while there. Given that I only have two nights there, what are the restaurants that I should not miss while there?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Do you need someone to carry your bag?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread may provide some answers
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bdemaria
This thread may provide some answers
Thank you for this link, but unfortunately, this is 2 years old!

Anybody have any up to date recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Thank you for this link, but unfortunately, this is 2 years old!

Anybody have any up to date recommendations?

Thanks.
In a city w/almost 3,000 years of recorded habitation, a restaurant recommendation from 18 months ago is hardly out of date.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
was just there about 3 weeks ago, so hopefully this is more up to date:

1. maccheroni (piazza della coppelle, I believe) - there were celebrities (tv and movie actors) and the obama family was also there when I was there, and the food is really good and reasonably priced

2. 'gusto (piazza augusto imperiatore, I beleve) - there are 3-4 restaurants in this, all part of the same name - so pick the one you like

otherwise, there are tons of good restaurants - ask your concierge at your hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.