Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Venice - late arrival - post midnight strategies (budget)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our BA flight time (am travelling with my teenage daughter) has already been changed from a 21:40 arrival to a 22:15 arrival (VCE)

Ordinarily, I am not concerned as the plan is to board the Alilaguna B departing at 23:20 or 00:20 which would get us to the Lido S.M.E. stop one hour later.

However…. I’m wondering what the best strategy would be if the flight is further delayed.

I understand one can buy the Alilaguna tickets at the Airport before making the 10-15 minute walk/jog down to the pier where the boat is.
However… what if we cleared customs at, say, 00:05, got the tickets, legged it down to the pier but missed the boat?
Would it be better to not try and buy the tickets at the airport but at the ticket machine at the pier itself (assuming it is there)?

My plan B is to get the airport bus (linea 5) that leaves at 01:10am to Piazzale Roma (or a road taxi there) and the N Vaporetto to Lido that departs at 1:42 (and 2:42?)

It’s the getting into the arrivals hall at midnight scenario that bothers me - the potential of madly dashing to reach a boat and losing €30 if we don’t reach it in time.

We’ll have backpacks with 4 days of clothes and wellies, no wheeled luggage.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 22, 2024 at 3:34 am
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:40 am

I'd make my mind up on arrival. If the Alilaguna's there, take that one. If not, get the No. 5 bus; for instance, there's a bus at 00.10 (arrival in Venezia piazza Roma 00.34), 00.40, 01.10 and so on. You can buy a ticket with the ACTV app.

https://orari.actv.it/line.html?serv...ate=2024-01-23
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
I'd make my mind up on arrival. If the Alilaguna's there, take that one. If not, get the No. 5 bus; for instance, there's a bus at 00.10 (arrival in Venezia piazza Roma 00.34), 00.40, 01.10 and so on. You can buy a ticket with the ACTV app.

https://orari.actv.it/line.html?serv...ate=2024-01-23
That’s the thing - I can’t envision how one would know whilst still at the airport if the Alilaguna would be there or not, or rather, whether we can get to it before it leaves.

Taking that 00:10 bus example as THE example.

Emerge at arrivals hall at 00:05- race down to the Alilaguna port to make the 00:20 departure, and if it’s there, then buy the tickets from the ticket machine. But this assumes that there is a ticket machine there, which I’m not entirely sure about, all the advice I’ve seen just says to buy the Alilaguna tickets in the airport building (10-15 mins away)
Given the option of the Alilaguna route departing at 00:20 (goes directly to the doorstep of our hotel) or the bus at 00:10 (involves hurried transfer and some added complications to get a vaporetto) I’m definitely going to want to get the Alilaguna service.

I suppose if we did try for the 00:20 Alilaguna departure and did miss it we should juuuust have enough time to rush back to get the 00:40 linea 5 bus before the final 01:10 bus departs (I don’t think there is a “so on” until past 4am)

I’ve seen lots of horror stories of people buying their fares online before they arrived and not being able to exchange them for actual tickets when they arrived without additional time consuming complications. Again, not something I want to do in advance as we may not make the 00:20 departure.

It’s not being certain that I can buy a ticket at the dock next to the Alilaguna boat that is really bothering me.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 22, 2024 at 6:43 am
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:41 am

Going by the official site https://www.alilaguna.it/en/where-to-buy/ticket-offices there is a ticket office at the airport "Dockyard."
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
Going by the official site https://www.alilaguna.it/en/where-to-buy/ticket-offices there is a ticket office at the airport "Dockyard."
That definitely clears up a dilemma, thank you!

Haven’t seen any mention on any of the “how to” videos or blogs that the Arrivals Hall ticket office closes at 21:50.

The dockyard “ticket office” is open until 00:20, exactly when the last boat departs. That’s actually reassuring. Still not entirely clear if it’s an office or just a ticket machine though.

Looked at so many places and missed this page, appreciate the link!

Would love to hear from anyone who’s taken the Alilaguna service after 22:20.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
That’s the thing - I can’t envision how one would know whilst still at the airport if the Alilaguna would be there or not, or rather, whether we can get to it before it leaves.

Taking that 00:10 bus example as THE example.

Emerge at arrivals hall at 00:05- race down to the Alilaguna port to make the 00:20 departure, and if it’s there, then buy the tickets from the ticket machine. But this assumes that there is a ticket machine there, which I’m not entirely sure about, all the advice I’ve seen just says to buy the Alilaguna tickets in the airport building (10-15 mins away)
Given the option of the Alilaguna route departing at 00:20 (goes directly to the doorstep of our hotel) or the bus at 00:10 (involves hurried transfer and some added complications to get a vaporetto) I’m definitely going to want to get the Alilaguna service.

I suppose if we did try for the 00:20 Alilaguna departure and did miss it we should juuuust have enough time to rush back to get the 00:40 linea 5 bus before the final 01:10 bus departs (I don’t think there is a “so on” until past 4am)

I’ve seen lots of horror stories of people buying their fares online before they arrived and not being able to exchange them for actual tickets when they arrived without additional time consuming complications. Again, not something I want to do in advance as we may not make the 00:20 departure.

It’s not being certain that I can buy a ticket at the dock next to the Alilaguna boat that is really bothering me.
There's a ticket office in the "Darsena", aka the pier where the boats depart from, i.e. here. https://maps.app.goo.gl/DcWJALrsp7YbeCoP9

In all honesty, I think you're stressing about something that has a very low likelihood of happening. If your flight arrives at 10PM, it's going to be quite a stroke of bad luck to be missing the last boat! And, even if you're very late, you can still get a ticket at the desk there. I've tried to take the Alilaguna twice in my life and on occasion the lady at the desk told me that I'd just missed the boat and I'd be better off on the bus. So off to the bus stop I went.

the Ticket office at the pier consists of both a manned booth and a ticket machine, there's a photo of it on the Alilaguna website:

https://www.alilaguna.it/biglietti
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by 13901; Jan 22, 2024 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901
There's a ticket office in the "Darsena", aka the pier where the boats depart from, i.e. here. https://maps.app.goo.gl/DcWJALrsp7YbeCoP9

In all honesty, I think you're stressing about something that has a very low likelihood of happening. If your flight arrives at 10PM, it's going to be quite a stroke of bad luck to be missing the last boat! And, even if you're very late, you can still get a ticket at the desk there. I've tried to take the Alilaguna twice in my life and on occasion the lady at the desk told me that I'd just missed the boat and I'd be better off on the bus. So off to the bus stop I went.

the Ticket office at the pier consists of both a manned booth and a ticket machine, there's a photo of it on the Alilaguna website:

https://www.alilaguna.it/biglietti
So this is the ticket office at the “dockyard”? Doesn’t say on the website but I accept that it is.

Especially now that I’ll have a kid in tow (who I will make VERY upset/angry if I make them run around needlessly) I like to fully understand what I will do in a situation. Perhaps you are OK with making decisions on the fly and improvising. I really am not. Best way for me to cope when a situation forces me into making a snap decision is to have considered what I would do beforehand. That’s not stressing… that’s AVOIDING stress.

I really, really want to avoid the Piazzale Roma Bus area and the dash across the front of Sta Lucia Station at 1am or 2am scenario (I have grim memories of this area from years ago, before Wi-Fi and smart phones, when a flash rail strike complicated the trip back to Padua - not a great place to be young and female)

I haven’t been on a short haul flight that wasn’t late in years, I’ll be very surprised if this one isn’t. Fortune favours the prepared.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

What time of year are you traveling? Weather may influence your decision.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Our BA flight time (am travelling with my teenage daughter) has already been changed from a 21:40 arrival to a 22:15 arrival (VCE)

Ordinarily, I am not concerned as the plan is to board the Alilaguna B departing at 23:20 or 00:20 which would get us to the Lido S.M.E. stop one hour later.

However…. I’m wondering what the best strategy would be if the flight is further delayed.

I understand one can buy the Alilaguna tickets at the Airport before making the 10-15 minute walk/jog down to the pier where the boat is.
However… what if we cleared customs at, say, 00:05, got the tickets, legged it down to the pier but missed the boat?
Would it be better to not try and buy the tickets at the airport but at the ticket machine at the pier itself (assuming it is there)?
If you have internet access, could you buy the tickets online as you're hustling toward the boat? I don't know the area, so can't guess from how far away you could see if the boat is still at the dock.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am not sure if you are meeting people etc. but why not just get a room at the Courtyard (or another VCE airport hotel) right across the street from the airport (the CY has a shuttle) and head to Lido (or whatever your destination) the next morning? No long travel time after midnight, a good sleep and a nice daylight scenic Alilaguna ride the next morning. Then it won't matter if you get in later.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
I am not sure if you are meeting people etc. but why not just get a room at the Courtyard (or another VCE airport hotel) right across the street from the airport (the CY has a shuttle) and head to Lido (or whatever your destination) the next morning? No long travel time after midnight, a good sleep and a nice daylight scenic Alilaguna ride the next morning. Then it won't matter if you get in later.
Courtyard Hotel is WAAAAY over our budget and I am not aware of any other hotel with a shuttle service (certainly after midnight - perhaps Hyatt Centric in Murano which offers free water taxi, again, over my budget and not the experience I want). I am aware of the lack of sidewalks/pavements on the road between the airport area and Tessara.
ETA - got a good look at the area between Tessara and the airport and it’s not something that would make me anxious. You’d need decent footwear if it’s been raining but it’s not particularly unsafe. I’ll put it forward as an option as I’ll be in a group of 4 for my next visit. Easy way to save €30 if you aren’t carrying much.

When I booked our BA flight To VCE it was to arrive at 21:40. I arranged the hotel in Lido accordingly. There’s already been a little hiccup.

When I board a plane I look at the Aircraft Safety Card and think about what I would do in an emergency so I can pre-process what I would need to do should such an eventuality happen.

When I travel I like to pre-process what I would need to do if things don’t work out as I expect or hope them to.

I couldn’t quite pre-process what I would do if I arrived at midnight as there is no leeway for errors at that time if we are to get the boat. I now have the information I was looking for.

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 12, 2024 at 1:02 am
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Am happy to report that, thanks to the moving walkways (and as long as they are all moving) you can peg it down to the docks where the Alilaguna boats depart from in about 5 minutes.

The ticket office at the docks stays open right up until the final departure. The operational “philosophy” has a backbone of common sense and kindness. Essentially it’s a punctual service but they aren’t going to leave you behind if you are still buying your ticket, the boat crew will be able to see you at the window and will do their best to accommodate you so that you leave with them.

Our flight was a bit delayed and we arrived as the final Linea A boat of the day was just departing giving us a little preview of how another late passenger experienced this scenario. We had plenty of time for the penultimate Linea B boat.

Having had an unplanned journey with oversize luggage that would not have been accepted on the bus service to Piazza le Roma (for the bus, the maximum length of all the sides added together is 150cm) I’d had an additional chance to see Alilaguna’s operational “philosophy” in action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.