Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New policy: from 16/12 ALL arrivals from abroad must be tested.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy: from 16/12 ALL arrivals from abroad must be tested.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I am confused by the 72 hours vs 48 hours as well. Good to know that it is 72 hours for the US. I plan to transit (US-LHR-MXP) at LHR with a 3.5 hours layover, on separate tickets (AA US-LHR; BA LHR-MXP). Can I use the 72 hours rule at check in in US and not taking another test in LHR? Please chime in?
TIA.
No you can't.

Even if you were transiting on a single ticket the 48h rule would apply; and since you're travelling on two separate tickets you might also have to comply with the UK rules, whatever they are (day 2 testing?) in order to board the first flight.

I'd fly directly from the US if I were you.
allset2travel and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I am confused by the 72 hours vs 48 hours as well. Good to know that it is 72 hours for the US
72 hours is for PCR only. Rapid anti gen is 24 hours.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
No you can't.

Even if you were transiting on a single ticket the 48h rule would apply; and since you're travelling on two separate tickets you might also have to comply with the UK rules, whatever they are (day 2 testing?) in order to board the first flight.

I'd fly directly from the US if I were you.
Appreciate the info. Looking into changing itinerary to fly direct US-Italy.
I have 8 SWUs remaining in the account. Need to burn them before July 31, 2022 (expiration).
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
72 hours is for PCR only. Rapid anti gen is 24 hours.
Thank you very much. I most likely will use PCR (hopefully it will be more available by the time I need it).
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:47 am

Appreciate the info. Looking into changing itinerary to fly direct US-Italy.
I have 8 SWUs remaining in the account. Need to burn them before July 31, 2022 (expiration).
Rebooked and was able to clear SWUs for cross ATL flight and return. Domestic segments wait listed.
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Great! Have a cracking time.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:35 pm

Great! Have a cracking time.
Will try my best!
13901 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

The old rule is due to lapse on 31/01 and, with the usual chill attitude, yesterday a new one was seemingly adopted by the Health Ministry. I can't find the text online but articles are saying that testing is no longer required for EU travellers. I'll endeavour to find more in the next few days but it seems to me that if you're coming from the UK, or outside the EU, you've got to be tested.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi
Thanks for that 13901
Will keep an eye out for more details prior to my trip to Venice at end of February.

Regards
tbs
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:14 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
13901 thanks for that constant updates. Can you fill me in on the "random COVID testing on arrival" procedures? Does this happen often to travellers from the UK? It seems like Italy has no plans to make travel easier to Italy anytime soon for those from outside the EU?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HB7
13901 thanks for that constant updates. Can you fill me in on the "random COVID testing on arrival" procedures? Does this happen often to travellers from the UK? It seems like Italy has no plans to make travel easier to Italy anytime soon for those from outside the EU?
Frankly I've not heard of anyone being random-tested on arrival. There used to be testing on arrival facilities back in 2020 and mid-2021, but in places like LIN they've been completely dismantled. There still are testing services for outbound travellers but I'll be honest I've never seen anyone checking anything. I mean, you land at LIN, give the passport to the police officers and off you go. Brits get stamped in.

There's just no appetite, at the moment, to improve things for arrivals from outside the EU. Just to mark how extreme things are, right now it's still forbidden (though can't say many are being questioned as far as I know) for tourism outbound to locations outside the EU and a restricted number of countries like the US, or Canada. If you're an Italian resident and want to go to, say, Thailand you need to be on a specific "tourism corridor" for the island of Phuket.
HB7 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:13 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Frankly I've not heard of anyone being random-tested on arrival. There used to be testing on arrival facilities back in 2020 and mid-2021, but in places like LIN they've been completely dismantled. There still are testing services for outbound travellers but I'll be honest I've never seen anyone checking anything. I mean, you land at LIN, give the passport to the police officers and off you go. Brits get stamped in.

There's just no appetite, at the moment, to improve things for arrivals from outside the EU. Just to mark how extreme things are, right now it's still forbidden (though can't say many are being questioned as far as I know) for tourism outbound to locations outside the EU and a restricted number of countries like the US, or Canada. If you're an Italian resident and want to go to, say, Thailand you need to be on a specific "tourism corridor" for the island of Phuket.
Thanks for the info. It is just weird how the UK, a year ago had extremely harsh travel restrictions and now there are virtually none, while the EU continues with what WHO has now repeatedly said are worthless travel bans and restrictions - particularly on those fully jabbed or boosted.

Just as an aside, I know you mentioned LIN, do you by any chance know what the situation is like at FCO for those of us arriving into terminal 3 (flying BA)?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HB7
Thanks for the info. It is just weird how the UK, a year ago had extremely harsh travel restrictions and now there are virtually none, while the EU continues with what WHO has now repeatedly said are worthless travel bans and restrictions - particularly on those fully jabbed or boosted.

Just as an aside, I know you mentioned LIN, do you by any chance know what the situation is like at FCO for those of us arriving into terminal 3 (flying BA)?
The UK has some strong lobbying from airlines and the ABTA, plus of course we're in full "operation save big dog" mode... Not too sure about Rome, I'm a polentone as JMN57 rightly said and thus I haven't been in the Urbis Aeterna for a while now...
HB7 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:14 pm

Rebooked and was able to clear SWUs for cross ATL flight and return. Domestic segments wait listed.
Even my 2 domestic flights have been cleared UG with the same SWUs! AA Transcon Flagship Biz!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:38 am
Original Poster

It's semi-official, we just need the text of the order, but Minister Speranza will, from March 1st, abolish:
1. the various D/G/E list of countries.
2. need to get tested prior to arriving in the country
3. Quarantine

Obvious exceptions are those who aren't vaccinated or those who've been vaccinated with the likes of Sputnik, Sinopharm et al.

Viaggi in Italia, niente tampone o quarantena per i turisti in arrivo: le regole dal 1° marzo- Corriere.it
obscure2k and JMN57 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.