Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New policy: from 16/12 ALL arrivals from abroad must be tested.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

This just came in, and I haven’t read the full details, but from 16/12 and until at least 31/01 Italy is now requiring ALL arrivals to be tested. You can be vaccinated, you might have a EU green pass… it doesn’t matter. You must have either a PCR done 48hr before entering the country or an antigen/ lateral flow done 24hrs before entering the country.

Frankly I always gave some rope to Speranza, the health minister, but this is hard to understand, and the EU is justifiably pi$$ed. It also makes a mockery of the whole GP system.

source in Italian here.

https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/obbl...esi-ue-AEDxAq2
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:41 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by 13901
This just came in, and I haven’t read the full details, but from 16/12 and until at least 31/01 Italy is now requiring ALL arrivals to be tested.
Disgruntle the vaccinated and discourage boostering. Switzerland is worse, at least Italy theoretically quarantines the unvaccinated . This said, all this affects / penalizes mainly air travel, the land borders are uncontrollable.

Draghi has a strong position and can do whatever his leftist ministers wish, the EU will swallow it. Even eroding further free movement and the Schengen area .

Rather close those bars where people are standing while eating / drinking - a typical Italian thing which is nice, but highly inappropriate these days.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Curious if it’s also required to transit?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:30 am
Original Poster

I had a brief look around, but on mobile only, and found nothing. I don't know how much transfer traffic on single tickets takes place in Italy these days, with ITA mostly doing domestics and not much else...
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:57 am

so for those with late afternoon flights from another EU country, it basically means day of for an antigen test as pharmacies would be closed the day before.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:18 am

For some trips from the U.S. in my experience, it would have meant hoping to get through to a video proctor at 4 a.m. before checking in at 6. Some trips from the West Coast with two changes could take over 24 hours.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by rove312
For some trips from the U.S. in my experience, it would have meant hoping to get through to a video proctor at 4 a.m. before checking in at 6. Some trips from the West Coast with two changes could take over 24 hours.
should be from time of departure not arrival in Italy, makes little sense.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Indeed, it's arrival in country.

I have to say though, I was speaking with friends who've arrived today at LIN from the UK and who had nothing (no PLF, tests, nothing) checked. Just a cursory glance at the passport.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Indeed, it's arrival in country.

I have to say though, I was speaking with friends who've arrived today at LIN from the UK and who had nothing (no PLF, tests, nothing) checked. Just a cursory glance at the passport.
probably because the airlines are supposed to be doing the checking.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
The "before arrival in Italy" part is perplexing... and tough to do. Does anyone know if Italy is accepting the eMed COVID-19 tests? Particularly with British Airways?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:55 am
Original Poster

The ‘before arrival’ means that the 48h/24h (depending on the test) count from arrival in country, not point of boarding. If you have a flight with a layover it’s a bit problematic indeed; where possible my advice would be to fly direct.

I don’t know the eMed tests, I assume they’re an American thing. Personally, when flying out of the UK to Italy, I’ve used all sorts of tests: PCRs done in person, LFT/antigen in person, self-made under supervision, self-made and then a certificate was issued. As long as a certificate is issued and you can send it to the airline/show it to staff you’ll be alright.

In my experience of non Schengen border controls, test checks are very spotty and cursory. At best I’ve been asked a Green Pass.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:47 am

The ‘before arrival’ means that the 48h/24h (depending on the test) count from arrival in country, not point of boarding. If you have a flight with a layover it’s a bit problematic indeed; where possible my advice would be to fly direct.

I don’t know the eMed tests, I assume they’re an American thing. Personally, when flying out of the UK to Italy, I’ve used all sorts of tests: PCRs done in person, LFT/antigen in person, self-made under supervision, self-made and then a certificate was issued. As long as a certificate is issued and you can send it to the airline/show it to staff you’ll be alright.

In my experience of non Schengen border controls, test checks are very spotty and cursory. At best I’ve been asked a Green Pass.
why would they use time of arrival when the airline needs to check when boarding? Is Italy also checking test dates on arrival? So dumb.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
So... currently booked for Austria next Monday but rumblings that they will be imposing mandatory quarantine requirements on Friday, so I'm trying to get ahead of the game here... and Italy looks to be the last chance saloon for us, and specifically an early flight out on the 26th.

Testing - no problem, assuming self administered LFTs + validation certificate are good... that will be our job before opening the bubbly on Christmas Day...

NHS app / Super Green Pass equivalency - looks ok from what I can see, we have 3 of us (adults) fully vaxxed, and one (16yo) recently recovered, all with NHS QR code passes to that effect.

Are there any holes in that plan as the rules stand right this minute?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theplayer
why would they use time of arrival when the airline needs to check when boarding? Is Italy also checking test dates on arrival? So dumb.
The idea is that they want to limit as much as possible the time lapsing between you being tested and you arriving in country, under the assumption that the shorter the time, the lesser the chances of being infected.

An airline agent (assuming they check, I’m yet to see anyone spending more than a second looking at my documents) would know the arrival time/duration of a flight and that’s fairly easy to subtract to the 48-24h window. Assuming you’re not doing a super-complicated itinerary.

Still, it’s just a lot of posturing and I’m still to see anyone doing calculations while
keeping in mind timezones and so on.

Last edited by 13901; Dec 21, 2021 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser
So... currently booked for Austria next Monday but rumblings that they will be imposing mandatory quarantine requirements on Friday, so I'm trying to get ahead of the game here... and Italy looks to be the last chance saloon for us, and specifically an early flight out on the 26th.

Testing - no problem, assuming self administered LFTs + validation certificate are good... that will be our job before opening the bubbly on Christmas Day...

NHS app / Super Green Pass equivalency - looks ok from what I can see, we have 3 of us (adults) fully vaxxed, and one (16yo) recently recovered, all with NHS QR code passes to that effect.

Are there any holes in that plan as the rules stand right this minute?
Self test with a certificate is what I used to fly in last week. No one checked it.

The NHS Pass works with the Verifica C19 app. I got scanned 100+ times with my pass stored on Apple Wallet and the only issue was when the pass expired after a month of use and I had to re-download it.

most Italian regions are “white”, meaning no particular limitations, while some are “yellow” (some minor limitations). Regardless, mask wearing is enforced in all public places (shops, restaurants when going to the loo and so on) and transport. No “exemptions” allowed. On Trenitalia there are messages to the extent that non maskers will not be allowed to continue. In facts I boarded a Turin-Milan train on Sunday that was running 45 minutes late; a fellow passenger told me that the police had had to come onboard and offload a family of “English” (sic) that weren’t masked and unwilling to do so.
ratechaser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.