Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

New policy: from 16/12 ALL arrivals from abroad must be tested.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy: from 16/12 ALL arrivals from abroad must be tested.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I thought the PCR test was required within 72 not 48 hours of entry into Italy.
OP is going through the UK, for which the rule is 48hr.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Got a predicament. Had a COVID-19 PCR test done yesterday in anticipation of arrival into Italy within 48 hours (tomorrow morning). However, my flight from the US to LHR cancelled today…. It looks like I’ll be arriving in Italy at 21:00, which is outside of the 48-hour window of my test now…

So now I don’t know what to do. Will my COVID-19 PCR test still be good for entry? Or am I screwed?
Theoretically they could deny you boarding - I haven't seen any caveats for cancelled flights in writing anywhere. And bureaucracy doesn't deal with common sense.

The options I'm thinking of at the moment are perhaps to do a self-administered LFT test of the kind that yields a result via email (in the UK I use chronomics and Klarity); both have allowed me to enter Italy.

I have to say that no one has ever really paid too much attention at my documentation when entering from the UK, but it's also true that I upload everything on the airline site prior to checking in so that might be where they do the check. The police on arrival sure as hell don't check.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by enviroian
I thought the PCR test was required within 72 not 48 hours of entry into Italy.
I'm conflicted by this. It is 72 hours for the US, but 48 hours for the UK. Was concerned that they might arbitrarily choose the 48-hour deadline since my connecting flight is coming from the UK.

Numerous sites all state 72 hours.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I'm conflicted by this. It is 72 hours for the US, but 48 hours for the UK. Was concerned that they might arbitrarily choose the 48-hour deadline since my connecting flight is coming from the UK.

Get a cheap lateral flow just before departure in the US. No way anyone will deny boarding when it satisfies both the UK and Italian requirements!
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Get a cheap lateral flow just before departure in the US. No way anyone will deny boarding when it satisfies both the UK and Italian requirements!
I think the lateral flow for Italy has to be within 24 hours before arrival into Italy. I don't know if the OPs schedule including their prior transatlantic would meet this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 2:32 am
Original Poster

UK-specific rules apply to transfer passengers as well. OP, maybe you can get rebooked on a direct US-IT flight?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I did not want to start a new thread. We are both Canadians and plan to book Singapore airlines from Milan to Singapore. Can we transit in Milan as CAD citizens flying in from Toronto(separate tickets) and then flying in from Singapore to Milan & transfer to Greece with Aegean(separate tickets).
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I did not want to start a new thread. We are both Canadians and plan to book Singapore airlines from Milan to Singapore. Can we transit in Milan as CAD citizens flying in from Toronto(separate tickets) and then flying in from Singapore to Milan & transfer to Greece with Aegean(separate tickets).
Just to confirm, you're doing:
1> Toronto-Singapore
2> Singapore-Milan
3> Milan-Greece (Athens?)

Check out the questionnaire here: COVID-19 SURVEY (viaggiaresicuri.it)

Also, Sherpa – Move Freely (joinsherpa.com) is a good tool to use.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 13901
1> Toronto-ZRH-MXP (NO DIRECT FLIGHT) SAME DAY
2> Singapore-MXP
3> MXP-ATHENS (SAME DAY)

Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1> Toronto-ZRH-MXP (NO DIRECT FLIGHT) SAME DAY
2> Singapore-MXP
3> MXP-ATHENS (SAME DAY)

Please see above
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1> Toronto-ZRH-MXP (no direct flight to Milan) & MXP-SIN same day
2> Singapore-MXP
3> MXP-ATHENS (SAME DAY)
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:54 am
Original Poster

OK, it is a bit of a convoluted journey and personally I wouldn't want do that in this day and age, but I ignore your specifics.

don't have a clue as to whether Singapore will allow you to enter, so can't comment on that, but as far as I know you shouldn't have any issues entering Italy through Switzerland from Canada. You will need to be tested in order to do this journey.

As for entering Italy from Singapore, this is where it gets tricky. For whatever reason, Singapore is in "List E" for Italy, meaning "no bueno". Why Singapore is in that list, don't know. This is what the link I was mentioning earlier says for a non-resident wishing to enter Italy from Singapore:

Since you are leaving from a Country included in List E, or you have visited (or transited) a Country of List E in the 14 days prior to your trip to Italy, you must fill out a digital Passenger Locator Form (or, in case of lack of necessary technology, a self-declaration) indicating that you fall into one or more of the following categories:
  1. proven work reasons;
  2. absolute urgency;
  3. health reasons;
  4. study;
  5. return to one’s home, domicile or residence;
  6. citizens of the European Union (Italy included), of Schengen Member States, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City;
  7. family members of persons listed under letter f), as defined in Articles 2 and 3 of Directive 2004/38/EC dated April 29 2004;
  8. non-European Union citizens (third-country nationals) holding long-term residence status in a European Union country, in accordance with Council Directive 2003/109/EC;
  9. family members of the persons holding long-term residence status (letter h);
  10. entry into the national territory to reach the domicile / home / residence of a person referred to in letters f) and h) of this list, even if not cohabiting, with whom there is a proven and stable affective relationship.
This is valid until 31/01/22 and might be extended thereafter.

You are 'transferring' on another flight, but it's on a separate ticket. So for SQ at SIN you're looking as if you're landing in Italy and they might not allow you to board the flight. There is an exemption for transfers through Italy but it refers only on travelling by private means and flights don't fall under that category.

bottom line - you might have trouble flying SQ SIN-MXP. I don't know if there's a direct flight to Greece from Singapore, or another European hub on which to transfer, but I would consider that.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much, I am not concerned about entering SIN as I know the rules for that, so I may abandon Italy altogether and focus on Sweden. I know its convoluted but we fly to Europe and Singapore yearly, but now it has become challenging. Thank you for your insight.
obscure2k and 13901 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Thank you very much, I am not concerned about entering SIN as I know the rules for that, so I may abandon Italy altogether and focus on Sweden. I know its convoluted but we fly to Europe and Singapore yearly, but now it has become challenging. Thank you for your insight.
I don't know when you're planning to travel, but the introduction of Singapore in the "E" list happened just in the last review and was a bit of a surprise. It might be reversed in the next review, due by month's end.good luck with your travel plans!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know when you're planning to travel, but the introduction of Singapore in the "E" list happened just in the last review and was a bit of a surprise. It might be reversed in the next review, due by month's end.good luck with your travel plans!

Departing Toronto March 31
Departing Singapore April 9
Arrival in Europe April 10
Departing Europe April 15
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

I am confused by the 72 hours vs 48 hours as well. Good to know that it is 72 hours for the US. I plan to transit (US-LHR-MXP) at LHR with a 3.5 hours layover, on separate tickets (AA US-LHR; BA LHR-MXP). Can I use the 72 hours rule at check in in US and not taking another test in LHR? Please chime in?
TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.