Connection Time

Old Nov 20, 18, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Connection Time

Flying into FCO from JFK with a layover in LHR in March. RT tickets back to JFK
We are splitting a 9 day trip between Rome and Croatia.

Ideally I would like to fly into Rome and then continue onto SUP that same day instead of having to fly out of Rome after a couple days and then back to Rome to fly home.

Our flight lands at 4.25 pm in FCO. Having the lay over in LHR will we clear European immigration in the UK or FCO ?
There is a Alitalia flight from FCO-SPU at 6 pm.
Is 1.5 hours enough time to make that connection,

This will be two separate tickets, as I'm flying BA into FCO.

Thank you
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:30 am

90 minutes is more than enough for your transfer, provided the incoming flight is on time and there is no f...-up with your luggage (if do you have any checked; no longer very frequent though). As for immigration, the UK being in the non-Schengen area, you'll clear immigration in Rome.
Old Nov 21, 18, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
[insert usual wording about dangers of travelling on separate tickets...]
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Thank you everyone for the replies.

JFK - FCO with a 1.5HR layover in LHR is one ticket with British Airlines. They had a RT fare sale for $260 otherwise I probably would have flown into a different airport.

I would be adding a separate ticket on Alitalia to Croatia. I guess we will do Rome first and then move on to Croatia.
I understand the ricks of flying on two tickets but for certain airports 90 minutes is more then enough.

Ive seen a lot of posts about how slow FCO can be and I donít think risking it would be ideal since there is another option.

Doing it this way kills the final night as the flights to/from Croatia are only in the evening around 6 pm. So the evening of the 19th we fly back into Rome and then the morning of the 20th we have to fly back to JFK basically killing the final night as once we land and clear customs in FCO it will probably be 7.30-8 pm and our return flight home is at 8.30am. Will probably stay at the airport hotels that night.
Old Nov 21, 18, 7:36 am

@shadowfactor: you are aware, I guess, that your AZ flight is a code-share operated by Croatia? Check the price of the flight on that company's site as code-shares tend to be much cheaper when flying the "operating" airline.

Search this Thread