Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where to stay on the Cilentan Coast?

Old Nov 18, 18, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Assume you have 4-5 nights, which towns would you stay in?

I have narrowed it down (I think) to - Castellebate, Acciaroli, Agropoli or Pollica. Which would you choose or would you pick elsewhere?
Old Nov 19, 18, 2:52 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I would pick Acciaroli.

Castellabate is far from the coast, but worth a stroll. S.Maria di Castellabate is the sister city on the coast. Pollica is quite far from everything and Acciaroli makes for a good base to explore the surroundings.
Agropoli, don't bother. Maybe just walk up onto the old town castle, but it's not worth an overnight.

I'm assuming you have a car and can freely move around, and will be visiting in low season.

A tip: from the tiny S.Marco di Castellabate port, starts a lesser known hiking track, named "Sentiero delle Sirene".
It's a very easy walk, suitable for most, which leads you into a coastline park, at the tip of Punta Licosa.

Best done in spring and fall since it's when you can breathe the typical mediterranean breeze, the colors are amazing.
After circa half an hour it seems to stop at a church gate. Don't be fooled. You can keep going jumping by the rocks narrowly avoiding getting soaked by the waves, like I did, or overtaking the church by walking along the perimeter of the church yard reconnecting to the coastline ahead (about 1km).

In front of you the island of Licosa. The island of the sirens with the enchanting song mentioned in the Odyssey of Homer.

Afterwards it's a pine forest and you can keep hiking as much as you can.

Last edited by Forrest Bump; Nov 19, 18 at 4:24 am
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Was considering two nights at Palazzo Bellmonte in S.Maria di Castellabate, then two nights in Acciorolli as bases to explore the region. Reasonable? Going in mid-May. Is a car a must, or it's possible to get around by bus? Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:07 am

Agree to split the stay in 2 locations and yours seems reasonable.
But don't count on public transportation, besides linking the towns along the coast, and even then the published schedule is merely an indicator.

Online I found this timetable from 2015, for the local line #34 .

To visit Agropoli and Ascea, the local train line will do, since the stations are at a walking distance from the town (Agropoli), and beach (Ascea).
All other stops in between and beyond require a car/bus transfer from the local station.

A car would give you the freedom to explore the southern region of Campania, from Paestum (but here you also have a tiny railway station at a walkable distance from the temples) southward to Palinuro and Marina di Camerota.

May/June and September/October are ideal months to do it.

Inland there's the Parco del Cilento for some serious hike, the Certosa di Padula in Padula and a myriad of depopulated tiny villages that, depending where are you coming from, may depict in a picturesque way the stereotypical sleepy Italian postcard from the last century.

But I'm aware 4 days are not enough for everything.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
34fe.pdf (75.1 KB, 5 views)
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for this helpful info. A few more follow up Qs if you don't mind.

1. I will be headed to the Cilento area from Positano, anywhere to pick up a rental car on the way and drop it back in Naples?

2. Suggestions on where to stay in Acciorolli?

3. Any can't miss restaurants?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Assume you have 4-5 nights, which towns would you stay in?

I have narrowed it down (I think) to - Castellebate, Acciaroli, Agropoli or Pollica. Which would you choose or would you pick elsewhere?
Without knowing when, summer or winter, itís hard to say where. But a smart choice, like going to the Amalfi Coast before the tourist flood, but just as nice and only another hour down the road. Very smart.
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche View Post
Without knowing when, summer or winter, itís hard to say where. But a smart choice, like going to the Amalfi Coast before the tourist flood, but just as nice and only another hour down the road. Very smart.
Going in Mid-May
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Thanks for this helpful info. A few more follow up Qs if you don't mind.

1. I will be headed to the Cilento area from Positano, anywhere to pick up a rental car on the way and drop it back in Naples?

2. Suggestions on where to stay in Acciorolli?

3. Any can't miss restaurants?

Thanks!
1. Salerno. Way cheaper to rent here than anywhere Amalfi coast.

2 and 3. Hard to say, as a day-trip visitor I never had a night stay in Acciaroli.

Keep in mind, in my experience anything related food and accomodation in Cilento is sub par.
Even finding a decent pizza is painful, as the local fare is way different than the Neapolitan style (but many tourists prefer the crusty pizza over the soft version anyway).

My local friends don't agree with my opinion, but I never had an excellent meal in the area, the few b&b I visited were extremely basic and definitely they have no service culture at all.

The upside is people are genuine and truly eager to help, as foreign tourism is a relatively recent phenomenon, and the nature is unspoiled for the most part.

Just don't count on top notch service, glitz and luxury if you're into that.

Heard good things about the Approdo Resort Thalasso Spa. Check availability on booking.com

A decent seafood restaurant is "Le Gatte" in S. Maria di Castellabate.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post
1. Salerno. Way cheaper to rent here than anywhere Amalfi coast.

2 and 3. Hard to say, as a day-trip visitor I never had a night stay in Acciaroli.

Keep in mind, in my experience anything related food and accomodation in Cilento is sub par.
Even finding a decent pizza is painful, as the local fare is way different than the Neapolitan style (but many tourists prefer the crusty pizza over the soft version anyway).

My local friends don't agree with my opinion, but I never had an excellent meal in the area, the few b&b I visited were extremely basic and definitely they have no service culture at all.

The upside is people are genuine and truly eager to help, as foreign tourism is a relatively recent phenomenon, and the nature is unspoiled for the most part.

Just don't count on top notch service, glitz and luxury if you're into that.

Heard good things about the Approdo Resort Thalasso Spa. Check availability on booking.com

A decent seafood restaurant is "Le Gatte" in S. Maria di Castellabate.
Not expecting luxury, just somewhere clean and comfortable enough. My main motivation for going is the natural beauty without the hordes tourists and not too sound too cliche'd but something more "authentic." Thanks for the restaurant reco's, I will do some digging. I was under the impression that the region was pretty good for food.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Are there any taxis?
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:43 am

With the ingredients, natural resources and food they have, Cilento could do much much better.
In fact eating at someone's place lets you appreciate the quality of the cucina Cilentana.

My point is more related to the restaurants offering.

But hey, don't forget you'll be passing by a lot of buffallo farms where a stop to a real mozzarella helping (or five) is a must do.

Do visit Tenuta Vannulo, a top quality farm with everything related to buffalo on sale: cheeses, dairy, leather products, meat.
They do arrange polystyrene box for take outs, but since you're there a tasting menu at their restaurant is a good idea.

Visiting the buffalos is possible and free, and it's fun to see them getting pampered with massages from specific machines or undergoing an automatic milking with an infrared teat.

The result is the flavor of the bocconcini, mozzarelle or ricotte, regarded as the best.
----------

No taxis that I know of.

Search this Thread