Wiki Posts
Search

Help Planning Itay Trip in Feb

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018 | 10:21 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Help Planning Itay Trip in Feb

I am planning Italy trip in Feb and will be travelling with my wife and two kids 6yr and 2 yr old.
I want to start with Paris and touch few cities(Milan,Venice,Rome) in Italy before heading to my final destination BOM.

This is my plan -
IAD-CDG(AA)
Day1 - Arrive CDG 10AM
Day2 - Late evening Fly to Rome(using avios points)
This will give me two days in Paris
Day3 - Rome(Night stay in Rome that night)
Day4 - Train to Venice in the morning(Stay in Venice that night)
Day5 - Train to Milan airport for AM flight to AUH(Etihad)
Other option - Fly to Milan instead of Rome. In this situation, I will need extra day and will fly out PM instead of AM.
Day2 - Fly to Milan in the evening and stay for the night.
Day3 - Venice(Night stay in Venice that night)
Day4 - Train to Rome in the morning(Stay in Rome that night)
Day5 - PM flight to AUH(Etihad). There are no AM flights.

Does this make sense?
Also will it be very cold in Paris/Italy in the last week of feb?
Old Jan 3, 2018 | 11:45 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Does this make sense? No

Also will it be very cold in Paris/Italy in the last week of feb? Cold, likely. Very cold, possible.
Old Jan 3, 2018 | 11:53 am
20 Years on Site

Four cities including Paris Rome and Venice in 4 and a half days? No, it absolutely makes no sense. In the amount of time you have available before flying to BOM, I would visit either Paris, or Rome, or Venice and definitely not Milano. Sorry for the bad news, but this is the only answer that is logical.

By the way, it is cool in all places mentioned during the last week of February but, usually, not very cold. Statistics say that you could face freezing temps, though, or some relatively warm weather. No way of knowing beforehand.
Old Jan 3, 2018 | 11:55 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by JMN57
Does this make sense? No

Also will it be very cold in Paris/Italy in the last week of feb? Cold, likely. Very cold, possible.
Hah! I saw your answer after I submitted mine. Amazing that FTers can have identical opinions (for once)
Old Jan 3, 2018 | 12:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
I agree that your plan makes no sense. I was exhausted just reading it.

Cut it down to two places max and cut Milan. Don't forget, there is travel time to/from airport as well as the travel time on the train. AND, you have a 2 year old. Tired and cranky come to mind.

Good luck. I hope whatever you decide works out for you and your family.
Old Jan 3, 2018 | 4:43 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I realize this is the Italy forum but I would just stay in Paris and get an AF flight to MXP and then go to AUH etc. You've got two small kids and will be jet lagged the first day or two. Paris should be cool (30s-40s) not cold but there is plenty to do for a few days. Arrive in Paris day 1, see a bit days two through four and off to MXP on day 5.
JBD likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018 | 6:50 pm
10 Years on Site

If your flight plans aren't set, I would pick Paris or Rome and spend the time there before you leave for AUH/BOM. 4 days isn't enough to see all of either one, but you'll have a good time. And both FCO and CDG have direct flights to AUH. I wouldn't do that original plan alone, let alone with kids, it's way too busy.
Old Jan 4, 2018 | 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I couldn't even finish reading it! Are you chasing someone?
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018 | 8:12 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I have two little kids, around the ages of yours, and even if the kids are the best of travelers this will be a miserable itineary for them (and then for you).
Old Jan 5, 2018 | 1:51 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Hi !
well, on this timetable you are not going to see most of interesting places on both cities.
Maybe it could be better to concentrate on two of them, maybe Milan and Venice (closer) and leave Rome for a next trip.
Milan & Venice will be cold in last Feb.
Rome temp. will be acceptable, just like the rest of the year.
​Welcome to Italy!
Old Jan 5, 2018 | 10:25 am

Originally Posted by coolmuke
I am planning Italy trip in Feb and will be travelling with my wife and two kids 6yr and 2 yr old.
I want to start with Paris and touch few cities(Milan,Venice,Rome) in Italy before heading to my final destination BOM.

This is my plan -
IAD-CDG(AA)
Day1 - Arrive CDG 10AM
Day2 - Late evening Fly to Rome(using avios points)
This will give me two days in Paris
Day3 - Rome(Night stay in Rome that night)
Day4 - Train to Venice in the morning(Stay in Venice that night)
Day5 - Train to Milan airport for AM flight to AUH(Etihad)
Other option - Fly to Milan instead of Rome. In this situation, I will need extra day and will fly out PM instead of AM.
Day2 - Fly to Milan in the evening and stay for the night.
Day3 - Venice(Night stay in Venice that night)
Day4 - Train to Rome in the morning(Stay in Rome that night)
Day5 - PM flight to AUH(Etihad). There are no AM flights.

Does this make sense?
Also will it be very cold in Paris/Italy in the last week of feb?
Vacation starts when you stop traveling and choose a place to stay. Where are you visiting? This is the worst itinerary I've ever seen. I couldn't even finish reading it.
Old Jan 7, 2018 | 7:48 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Thank you all for your input. I have changed my plan and now planning to visit only venice and rome.
Fly IAD-JFK-Milan.
Day1 - Arrive Milan 8AM, Train to Venice
Day2 - Venice
Day3 - AM train to Rome
Day4 - Rome
Day5 - Depart 10 PM Flight Rome-AUH-BOM

Last edited by coolmuke; Jan 10, 2018 at 6:13 am
Old Jan 8, 2018 | 12:55 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
That's better.
Your Frecciarossa train from Milan will lead you to the Santa Lucia Railway station, just in the heart of the old city of Venice.
Beware of the cold winter in this lovely city, especially if you are taking the vaporetto stay inside!
In Rome, if you are coming on Sunday, you can't miss the Angelus of Pope Francis at midday in St.Peter's Square.
Enjoy your trip to Italy :-:^
Old Jan 8, 2018 | 4:57 am

Originally Posted by coolmuke
Thank you all for your input. I have changed my plan and now planning to visit only venice and rome.
Fly IAD-JFK-Milan.
Day1 - Arrive Milan 8AM, Train to Venice
Day2 - Venice
Day3 - AM train to Rome
Day4 - Rome
Day5 - Depart 10 PM Flight Milan-AUH-BOM
Still too much. You are basically doing a brief layover in Italy for three days. How can you squeeze in both Venice and Rome? Out of those three days you'll be spending about 11 hours on trains. If you add up traveling to train stations, waiting for trains, you'll be doing more train stuff than seeing Italy. You are on a very, very brief trip to Italy. Why don't you just pick one place you want to see, either Venice or Rome, and go there? Rushing from city to city doesn't allow you to get to see anything. You will just be packing, unpacking, going to and from train stations, while dragging two unhappy children around. You will never get to relax. There is a saying, "Rome wasn't built in a day." The same with Venice. Neither can be seen in a day or two. I would suggest that you choose one or the other, and it least get to skim the surface of it, rather than rushing around from monument to monument.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018 | 6:58 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
That's better.
Your Frecciarossa train from Milan will lead you to the Santa Lucia Railway station, just in the heart of the old city of Venice.
Beware of the cold winter in this lovely city, especially if you are taking the vaporetto stay inside!
In Rome, if you are coming on Sunday, you can't miss the Angelus of Pope Francis at midday in St.Peter's Square.
Enjoy your trip to Italy :-:^
You may think it's bacause I'm not catholic (I'm not! ) but if one is crazy enough to essentially spend 1.5 days in Rome (and not 2 or 3 as it seems at first glance) the idea of spending a few hours to hear the Angelus along with two kids of 6 and 2 years is certainly not something I would suggest, As a matter of fact, this is the worst piece of advise for a tourist activity in Rome under those circumstances. Even the Pope would start screaming doing this to the kids!
obscure2k and Perche like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.