Reload this Page >

Do-It-Yourself Pompeii and Herculaneum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do-It-Yourself Pompeii and Herculaneum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:27 pm

I see! But actually there is absolutely no reason to buy in advance. Especially because I'm certain that after the OP will have gone through both Pompei and Ercolano, rather than taking a train (s)he will opt for a cab. If this were Bangkok, (s)he would also go for a foot massage but this is Napule, so a taxi and a good dinner afterwards will do.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Steves has a tour Pompeii for certain. I used it. It took about 2 to 2.5 hours, and doesn't go down to the Amphitheatre. The download itself is maybe 40 minutes. You can find the accompanying map in his guidebook or online.
Besides omitting the Amphitheater, is this tour comprehensive enough so that it covers all the must-see sites?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
I see! But actually there is absolutely no reason to buy in advance. Especially because I'm certain that after the OP will have gone through both Pompei and Ercolano, rather than taking a train (s)he will opt for a cab .
Do you think I should just purchase a guided tour, instead of attempting to cover these sites on my own? I would have the benefit of a guide, who would explain all the must-see attractions. Plus, car transfers would be provided to and from my hotel.

I was considering one of these:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Naples/...21POMPERCOLANO

https://www.getyourguide.com/naples-...-naples-t8685/
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBD
Not a guide, but I had this BBC doc bookmarked, and I would think it coud aid your appreciation for Herculaneum:

BBC - Life and Death in Herculaneum ( Prof. Wallace-Hadrill )
Actually, I will watch this prior to my trip. I had mistaken this for some kind of video tour of Pompeii. I didn't realize it was a documentary. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joer1212
Besides omitting the Amphitheater, is this tour comprehensive enough so that it covers all the must-see sites?
As with most of Steves' tours, consider it an introduction and orientation guide. As I said it only takes a couple of hours, so it's not comprehensive.
If you Google search "Rick Steves Pompeii map" the first link should be to a pdf of the tour map, so you can see for yourself.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
Do you think I should just purchase a guided tour, instead of attempting to cover these sites on my own? I would have the benefit of a guide, who would explain all the must-see attractions. Plus, car transfers would be provided to and from my hotel.

I was considering one of these:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Naples/...21POMPERCOLANO

https://www.getyourguide.com/naples-...-naples-t8685/
Sorry, but I can't give you any help: I've been to Pompei 4 or 5 times and twice to Ercolano, always on my own, so I have no basis for comparison.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Sorry, but I can't give you any help: I've been to Pompei 4 or 5 times and twice to Ercolano, always on my own, so I have no basis for comparison.
I've decided that I'll do a guided tour only if I can't find a decent audio guide for Pompeii and Herculaneum. Alternatively, I may go to my local library and see if they carry any books that would allow me to navigate these sites on my own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.