Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost €50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost €50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a €5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Thanks for the replies. I think I will look into the pre-ordered cars. I will see what google can find for me.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Without a doubt, taxi or private. The trains in Rome are limited, then you' have to take a cab when you get to the train station. Buses are inconvenient. Taxis are 48 Euros fixed rate from the airport to anywhere within the ancient wall. The taxi will usually charge 1 euro for each bag after the first. I think they only charge for an extra passenger starting with the fifth. Tipping is not expected for taxis in Italy, so you can do it for around 50 euros, and a few euro tip as a gesture
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
We ended up staying downtown our last night. Glad we did. We stayed out late and had a great time. Used Romeshuttle. They were great. On time (early in fact)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:43 pm

recommendation for car service from FCO to hotel

My family of 4 will be coming in on an airberlin flight to FCO at 7:25 pm on a Saturday in a couple weeks. I would like to have a car meet us at the airport to take us to our hotel near the Trevi fountain. We only speak English. I googled and see several companies that I could book this with. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ksucats
My family of 4 will be coming in on an airberlin flight to FCO at 7:25 pm on a Saturday in a couple weeks. I would like to have a car meet us at the airport to take us to our hotel near the Trevi fountain. We only speak English. I googled and see several companies that I could book this with. Any recommendations?
I'd personally go with a taxi. Many people have had a car service experience of one time. An experience of onE or two is not enough data to statistically rely on. I've had one show up an hour late, and another just not show up. That's bad. I didn't have my cell service on yet to contact them. Trip to the tabbachi store to buy a phone card and call them, just to be told they are on the way. An hour later when I would have already been checked into my hotel and out and about, they show up, and the other one never showed. Two different companies highly recommend by someone else's experience of one trip.

A certified cab is always outside at the certified airport cab stop. It's a fixed 48 euro rate, plus whatever the excess bag fees and extra person fees are. No wait, no problem, and with a fixed rate they can't run up the meter. And they're not the typical dumpy USA like cab.

After my experiences with "recommended" car services I take a cab, with one exception: a car service arranged by your hotel. If they don't show they have to answer to the hotel, Who doesn't want to see you dissatisfied, and who can take their business elsewhere. The driver is not beholden to you. If they get a more attractive fare than yours they may just be a no show, and what at you going to do about it?

I'd say read up on cabs in Rome or ask your hotel to arrange one (which will cost twice as much, but if a car service is what you want, that's what I would do. I would not listen to "I used XYZ service and they were great," unless that person used them 40-50 times without a glitch. Otherwise, I'd just consider it anecdotal information.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Perche
I'd personally go with a taxi. Many people have had a car service experience of one time. An experience of onE or two is not enough data to statistically rely on. I've had one show up an hour late, and another just not show up. That's bad. I didn't have my cell service on yet to contact them. Trip to the tabbachi store to buy a phone card and call them, just to be told they are on the way. An hour later when I would have already been checked into my hotel and out and about, they show up, and the other one never showed. Two different companies highly recommend by someone else's experience of one trip.

A certified cab is always outside at the certified airport cab stop. It's a fixed 48 euro rate, plus whatever the excess bag fees and extra person fees are. No wait, no problem, and with a fixed rate they can't run up the meter. And they're not the typical dumpy USA like cab.

After my experiences with "recommended" car services I take a cab, with one exception: a car service arranged by your hotel. If they don't show they have to answer to the hotel, Who doesn't want to see you dissatisfied, and who can take their business elsewhere. The driver is not beholden to you. If they get a more attractive fare than yours they may just be a no show, and what at you going to do about it?

I'd say read up on cabs in Rome or ask your hotel to arrange one (which will cost twice as much, but if a car service is what you want, that's what I would do. I would not listen to "I used XYZ service and they were great," unless that person used them 40-50 times without a glitch. Otherwise, I'd just consider it anecdotal information.
Do all taxis take credit cards? How are they at speaking English? We will have 4 people and 4 suitcases. I am guessing we will not fit in most taxis.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
I have used romeshuttlelimousine.com for years, and they are reliable, cheaper than a taxi, and you are sure they won't cheat you.
Don't know if they take credit cards, but they wait for you outside Customs.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:05 am

I've used Rome Cabs about 20 times www.romecabs.com and have never a bad experience. Only once have I had to wait to for my driver and it was about 10 minutes. Vehicles are clean and well kept. Most of the drivers speak some English. You can prepay using your credit card through paypal.

For 4 people it is 55 euros, and they use a van.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by dh01
I have used romeshuttlelimousine.com for years, and they are reliable, cheaper than a taxi, and you are sure they won't cheat you.
Don't know if they take credit cards, but they wait for you outside Customs.
Originally Posted by mromalley
I've used Rome Cabs about 20 times www.romecabs.com and have never a bad experience. Only once have I had to wait to for my driver and it was about 10 minutes. Vehicles are clean and well kept. Most of the drivers speak some English. You can prepay using your credit card through paypal.

For 4 people it is 55 euros, and they use a van.
Thanks. I will check those out. I am more comfortable having something booked ahead of time for my first trip into a country where I don't speak the language.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:38 pm

55 euro for a van is only a little more than a single cab, and as you pointed out, you'd probably need two cabs. Nice deal.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
55 euro for a van is only a little more than a single cab, and as you pointed out, you'd probably need two cabs. Nice deal.
I am all set with romeshuttlelimousine and then told me via email that their driver will accept credit cards.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I thought I would report back. Everything was great. We landed about 5 minutes early and had no checked bags. As soon as we walked past baggage claim, we saw our driver. Were in the car 5 minutes later and at our hotel within an hour of touching ground. The driver accepted credit cards although he tried to get me to pay cash because it was quicker and he was parked on a narrow road where traffic couldn't get through.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ksucats
I thought I would report back. Everything was great. We landed about 5 minutes early and had no checked bags. As soon as we walked past baggage claim, we saw our driver. Were in the car 5 minutes later and at our hotel within an hour of touching ground. The driver accepted credit cards although he tried to get me to pay cash because it was quicker and he was parked on a narrow road where traffic couldn't get through.
Glad to hear it!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:55 pm

FCO to Rome Termini station by bus?

I need to go from FCO (T3) to Termini station in Rome next week (and back a few days later).
Can anyone recommend one of the bus operators serving that route?
Terravision is offering online tickets at 4 € o/w, 8 € r/t.
Is it true that you have to queue for exchanging the online ticket into a boarding pass?
Schiaffini/Rome Airport Bus is also 8 € r/t. Does anyone know whether this price also applies when buying on-site at FCO/onboard the bus?
Does anyone have some recent experience with taking the bus from/to FCO?
Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:09 pm

Any reason you don't want to take the train (Leonardo Express)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.